my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » 4/19/02 Los Angeles Setlist

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 4/19/02 Los Angeles Setlist
Underbrain
VoivodFan
Member # 183

posted April 20, 2003 02:32     Profile for Underbrain   Email Underbrain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just got back from the Voivod/Sepultura show at the Palace and scored the setlist from the Stage.

First off the band was tight and pummeling... sharp asymetrical jams and punishing grooves.

Heres the setlist:

Voivod
Rebel Robot
Gasmask Revival
Unknown Knows
Blame Us
Real Aain
Panorama
The Multiverse
Les Cigares Volans
The Prow
Tribal Convictions
Astronomy Domine

E: We Carry On

Got to meet the guys after the show (all super cool and humble) and get the promo package they were giving out signed.

F'in great show! And Sepultura destroyed the place as well.

|  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted April 20, 2003 02:45     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for posting that.
I must say that I am HEAVILY disappointed by the lack of ANY KT material.
That is a crying shame.

I will still be there in full force come Minneapolis time.

bloodyneck
VoivodFan
Member # 287

posted April 20, 2003 03:27     Profile for bloodyneck   Email bloodyneck     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw them on the 18th and they tore it up like you wouldn't believe. Looks like the playlist was the same.

Yeah, Tornado would have been great, or Killing Tech or Cockroaches. I also was hoping for more Dimension Hatross. Macrosolutions or Chaosmongers, actually anything would have been great...Experiment, Psychic Vacuum. Tribal Convictions was absolutely insane but that's to be expected. I guess they had to play a lot from the new album, which was nice to hear live, but oh how I wish they would have played for another half hour or so. I was actually surprised to hear nothing from Outer Limits.

The encore was too short for sure. They should have thrown in Nuclear War or Korgüll the Exterminator.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 20, 2003 04:45     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for all these reviews/setlists guys! Must have been great to be there!

There's a lot of new material in the set, but I guess that's pretty much to be expected. Perhaps they'll play some older stuff at later dates.

spudboy
VoivodFan
Member # 78

posted April 20, 2003 12:55     Profile for spudboy   Email spudboy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Although in general I'm not disappointed with the setlist, since I'm a fan of all eras of Voivod, I am a bit bummed that they didn't do anything from "Killing Technology". How about replacing "Real Again" with "Ravenous Medicine"?

And doing 2 songs from "Angel Rat" while totally ignoring "The Outer Limits" seems odd. How about dropping "The Prow" (which has been played quite a bit in recent years) in favor of "Fix My Heart"?

Or, if they want to just play every song in their catalog, I guess that would be pretty cool too...haha.

Anyhow, I'm still very much looking forward to the shows I'm going to. (Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland) Can't wait to hear the new stuff live....

Underbrain
VoivodFan
Member # 183

posted April 20, 2003 16:11     Profile for Underbrain   Email Underbrain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snake said one of the nicest things things from the stage as well... right before "Tribal Convictions". It was very honest and from the heart, not in the heroic metal tradition of introducing songs.

"This song... is for... YOU. I've been away for quite a long time, and its great to be back! Tribal Convictions!!"

I spoke with Piggy after the show and thanked him for his "creative sense of harmony" to which he genuinely smiled from beneath his mop of hair. Also thanked Away for the beautiful and creative music as well as his artwork... and he was geniunely appreciative. Told Snake how great it was to have him back and he was very very proud saying how glad he was to be back... and said that he was only 60% drunk (at that point). Jasonic was surrounded by people all in Metallica shirts asking various questions about Metallica... when i got the chance to talk to him our conversation went as such:

U: "I read in an interview that playing in Voivod was the second time in your life that a dream has come true."

J: "Yes and playing with Ozzy the third."

U:"Looks like you've won the triple crown."

J:"Yes, i'm a lucky man."

U:"I wanted to thank you for bringing such great notoriety to Voivod, they are certainly deserving of all the accolades they get"

(jason then turned to me and stopped signing autographs)

J:"You're absolutely right... NICE SHIRT!!" (pointing at the new IRON GANG t-shirt i was sporting)

U:"Thanks Jason, i was in the Iron Gang way back in the 80's, i got all the tapes and mailers."

J Laughing) "Me too!!! It was awesome!!"

Jason then mightily shook my hand as a proud fellow Voivod fan.

It was really really cool meeting all the guys and getting autographs. And Tribal Convictions absolutely ripped. Some of the guys hanging out by the bus after the show were talking about the Voivodfan.com message board... which was totally cool. And a bunch of folks had vintage LPs of the VV stuff as well there for them to sign (i wish i had brought mine!)

To the Fucking Death!

- Underbrain

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 20, 2003 16:20     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great story Underbrain! You lucky bastard!
Underbrain
VoivodFan
Member # 183

posted April 20, 2003 17:57     Profile for Underbrain   Email Underbrain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know if i'm really the lucky one... i was speaking to the band on behalf of ALL of us who really truly love and appreciate their contributions... and our love for them compelled me to stake out their tour bus.

It was great to see a bunch of other Vodheads out there singing the words to all the songs (and what wonderfully strange words they are) and raising fists in oddmetered time along with the band.

It was a wonderful sight to behold.... and i was proud to thank those guys individually for their contributions to the world of truly creative music on behalf of all of us.

word up.

Motordeth
VoivodFan
Member # 153

posted April 20, 2003 18:00     Profile for Motordeth   Email Motordeth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That cool Underbrain!!! On the setlist: Where are the songs from Rrröööaaarrr and Killing Technology???
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted April 20, 2003 18:53       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is a tour supporting the new album so they should do mostly new songs.I know alot of fans wont agree with me but i hope they drop a few more older songs and add some more new ones.Like Facing Up,Divine Sun and Invisible Planet and still do all the other new songs the did in the first show.
I know the older songs really kick ass but I want to hear as much of the new stuff as i can live.
What would be really great is if they could double that set list.I wouldnt mind them doing 25-26 songs when they stopped by here.I could live if Sepultura didn't even take the stage because of time restains.

IP: Logged
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted April 20, 2003 19:04     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They should do a tour by themselves, then.

But I agree with you, since they're touring to promote the new album, they've got to play the new songs, but not forgetting to please the diehard fans who want to hear some classic tunes. It's hard to do a setlist after so many years, I guess.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 20, 2003 22:34     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the review/interview Underbrain. I'm totally jealous. Wish I could have been there. I'm really hoping they'll do a headlining tour of Canada this year. I'd like to speak to them after the show and let them know I appreciate their music too.
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted April 20, 2003 23:29     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone get a bootleg of this?
bloodyneck
VoivodFan
Member # 287

posted April 21, 2003 02:13     Profile for bloodyneck   Email bloodyneck     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LivingEvil:
This is a tour supporting the new album so they should do mostly new songs.

I agree actually...for any Voivod album. I saw them in '93 and they played a lot of Outer Limits stuff, but mixed it up, maybe half with other stuff. It was a great show. Right now I'm listening to a bootleg of a 1988 show and it's half Dimension Hatross. I think it sort of timestamps the set, but Voivod always knows to include an ample dose of previous material. I just wish I could have been to more shows back in the day.

I think every song should be played live and regularly at least in some time of their history. They're all meant to be heard live!

edit: Thanks to Motordeths new site, I just noticed that the "bootleg" I'm listening to has a name:
A Flawless Structure?

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan