my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Awake

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Awake
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted April 07, 2003 08:47     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From the new issue of Terrorizer magazine. A 2 page interview with Voivod drummer 'Awake'!
Ooops!

|  IP: Logged
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 07, 2003 08:58     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
cor. jinx or what.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted April 07, 2003 09:01     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's an interesting snippit from the interview. Most of it is the usual stuff we've seen around, but this bit is kinda interesting (to me anyway!):

quote:
As Away relates, it dated back to thier stuff-of-legend tour with Faith No More and Soundgarden in 1990.
"We learnt alot from that about the way they worked the dynamic of the crowd - it was something we had never really thought of before, because we used to think only of the complexities of the songs. At one stage we were getting really progressive and we were just looking at our instruments to make sure we didn't fuck up, so we realised we'd have to do something about it, actually, so we started writing shorter songs and epics, rather than having an album with ten epics on it."

So it's Chris Cornell's fault!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted April 07, 2003 09:04     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blimey! Guess you popped out at lunch time and picked a copy up too, eh?
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 07, 2003 09:07     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I always found Soundgarden mediocre. Their albums are like a dull toothache and then they stop.

If only Voivod toured with NoMeansNo or King Crimson!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 07, 2003 12:38     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's about time he 'woke up'

Voivod wouldn't have learned too much about working a crowd from Fripp, but from Belew, yes, even though I think he still holds back on showmanship when playing with Fripp, whereas on his own he really cuts loose because there are no rules. Don't get me wrong, KC is one of the finest acts I've seen 'musically', but they work the crowd only because they have to concentrate on the complexity of the songs, and it leaves the audience in a state of amazment. You won't go to a KC show and see the audience 'getting their groove on' or jumping around, and slamming, even though a lot of their music easily lends itself to doing that... the people just watch the musicians with their jaws dropped and applaud at the brilliance that continually evolves the band.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan