my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Gastronomy Domine (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4

Author Topic: Gastronomy Domine
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted October 02, 2003 11:14     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's what was lacking all along on this forum: CHEESECAKE RECIPES!!!
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/People/mjw/recipes/dessert/cheesecake/

So it shall be written, so it shall be done. Dedicated to Piggy.

|  IP: Logged
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 02, 2003 13:13     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mmmm cheesecake. I excel at making these, really I do. I like to make the ones that take 2-3 hours to bake with an hour of rest in the oven before it's refrigerated for 12 hours. It's not dessert, it's art! It's a process! No-bake cheesecakes are like cheap rip-offs from Tawain. I made a chocolate marble nutcracker the other day (the nutcracker part is frangelico) and put a whole room of people into sugar shock. Good times.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 02, 2003 14:42     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
I made a chocolate marble nutcracker the other day (the nutcracker part is frangelico) and put a whole room of people into sugar shock. Good times.

Yummy... I like it, especially the Frangelico part...

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted October 02, 2003 14:48     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damnster!
I have never had the pleasure of digesting a cheesecake

Better see where i can find one here

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted October 02, 2003 15:09     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Vroom, have you ever tasted "Frödinge ostkaka"?

Think I gotta' go and buy me one, mmmmmm, it's very tasty.

Cheers!

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted October 02, 2003 15:18     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh crap.
I thought they meant some other kind of cheesecake Annki

I've had tons of Frödinge, and i love it every time

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted October 02, 2003 15:39     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm suspicious when I see food that has the syllables "kaka" in their name ("caca" means "poopoo" in french you know).

But of course I'm sure it's very good, since our scandinavian friends crave it!

Noitall, your cheesecake thing seems to be the kind of dessert that gives hallucinations. I want a piece of that!

(Hey, by the way, there is no "yummy" graemlins, here.)

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted October 02, 2003 16:47     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldoror:
I'm suspicious when I see food that has the syllables "kaka" in their name ("caca" means "poopoo" in french you know).........

I can assure you there is no "poopoo".. .. in this cake. Sometimes language can make things very funny.

Ask Vroom what we swedes tihnk when somebody can have a name like "Mr Pitt"..

Now I'm hungry! Just got to have a "ostkaka".

Cheers!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 02, 2003 17:28     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahhh, I'm in heaven. Heading home, where a nice steak is waiting anxiously for me.
GarbageDay
VoivodFan
Member # 361

posted October 02, 2003 17:35     Profile for GarbageDay   Email GarbageDay     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted October 03, 2003 08:13     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GarbageDay:
[QB][/QB]

That says it all!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 11, 2003 18:16     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cranberry Sauce with Cognac

2 cups (500 ml) fresh cranberries
3 tablespoons (45 ml) cognac (you could substitute brandy)
1 cup (250 ml) light brown sugar
1/4 c (50 ml) fresh orange juice
3 whole allspice berries
2 whole cloves
4 black peppercorns
1/2 tsp (2 ml)crusehd red-pepper flakes
1 cinammon stick

combine cranberries, cognac, sugar and orange juice in saucepan.
put spices in a double layer of cheesecloth, bundle with string (butcher's twine) and add to pan. bring to a boil. reduce heat to a simmer, stirring til syrupy (15-20 min) discard bundle, let cool in a bowl and refrigerate until needed.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 11, 2003 18:27     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted October 12, 2003 06:08     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow that doesn't sound anything like the canned crap I refuse to eat every year! Mmmmmm, spicy foods rule.
Yoko Ono
VoivodFan
Member # 235

posted December 17, 2003 13:28     Profile for Yoko Ono   Email Yoko Ono     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Holiday Yoda Cookies

Ingredients

1/3 cup margarine or butter
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 dash salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour

Directions

Beat margarine or buter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat till combined. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla till combined.

Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Divide dough in half. Cover; chill for 3 hours.

Roll one portion of the dough at a time to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut into Yoda shapes with cookie cutters. Place Yodas on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until Yoda's edges are firm and his bottoms are very lightly browned. Cool Yodas on a rack. Makes 36-48 Yodas.

Yoda Cookie Icing:
Ingredients:

3 tablespoons meringue powder
4 cups confectioner's sugar
6 tablespoons warm water
food coloring

Directions

In a mixing bowl, mix sugar and meringue powder, slowly add water while mixing at a medium to high speed. Beat until peaks form (about 8-10 minutes). Add flavor and food coloring if desired. NOTE: Icing dries quickly.

Divide into two bowls and add food colorings to desired intensity. Apply icing with a small spatula.

Make a pale green icing for Yoda's head and a tan icing for Yoda's robe.

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted December 17, 2003 15:23     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
<obligatory_overexposed_holiday_joke_recipe>

HOLIDAY RUM CAKE

1 or 2 Quarts Rum
1 TSP Sugar
1 Cup Dried Fruit
1 TSP Baking Powder
1 TSP Baking Soda
1 Cup Butter
1 TSP Lemon Juice
2 Large Eggs
Nuts
Brown Sugar

Before you start, sample the rum to check for quality. Good, isn't it?

Now go ahead. Select a large mixing bowl, measuring cup, etc. Check rum again. It must be just right. To be sure the rum is of the highest quality, pour one level cup of rum into a glass and drink it as fast as you can. Repeat.

With an electric mixer, beat 1 cup butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of thugar and beat again.

Meanwhile, it's important to make sure the rum is of the finest quality - try another cup. Open the second quart of rum, if necessary.

Add two arge leggs, two cups of fried druit and beat until high. If the druit gets stuck in the beaters, just pry it loose with a drewscriver.

Sample the rum again, checking for tonscisticity. Next, sift free cups of pepper or salt (it really doesn't matter).

Sample the bum again.

Sift one pine of lemon juice. Add one babblespoon of brown thugar, or whatever color you can find. Mix mell. Grease oven and turn cake pan to 350 gredees. Now pour the whole mess into the coven and ake.

Check the thum again and go to bed.

</obligatory_overexposed_holiday_joke_recipe>

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted April 07, 2004 19:31     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey guys, this thread's been out of sight too long! Easter's coming, many of us are probably planning to prepare some kind of good food for the occassion. Bring on the recipes!

I'll start with a simple one:

1 Kinder chocolate Easter egg
1 cup of hot black coffee

Eat in the morning before going to work/school/back to bed/wherever.

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted April 07, 2004 20:10     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is a swedish recepie for our "famous" JANSSONS FRESTELSE, often found on the swedish "smorgasbord".......

5-6 medium potatoes
2 large yellow onions
15-20 anchovie fillets
2 T butter
3/4 C heavy cream
bread crumbs
freshly ground black pepper

Peel and grate the potatoes, then place them in cold water (so they don't turn color, and so that the starch washes out). Slice the onions thinly. Grease a casserole, about 9x12 inches. Layer the grated potatoes, onion and anchovies in the dish, starting with potatoes. Pour the cream, then sliced butter, bread crumbs and pepper evenly over the mix. Bake in a 400° oven for 40-50 minutes. Serve with Swedish rye bread, salad, and beer.

A simple but irresistable Swedish temptation...

Try it! You'd be surprised..... .. my kids love it.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted April 07, 2004 20:39     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Janssonin kiusausta! Jättebra, min svensk vän, jättebra!

I gotta tell you folks, this is one of my fave recipes too. Serve with a large glass of cold lager and some bread with butter on it...Mmmmm!!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted April 07, 2004 21:06     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinen:
Janssonin kiusausta! Jättebra, min svensk vän, jättebra!......!

Moi "Väinä".
Kiitos minun suomalainen ystävä!

Thanks!

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted April 07, 2004 22:34     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mmmm, that sounds pretty tasty, Annki. I may have to try that one. I've never cooked with anchovies before, so it would be something new.

Here's a bread Väinämöinen could have alongside.

Onion Herb Batter Bread
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons butter
1/2 cup warm water
1 package dry yeast
2 1/4 cups flour (sifted)
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon dill (seed or weed...I use dill weed, I like the little green specks in the bread)
melted butter
salt

Scald milk (heat it until it just barely starts to boil) and remove from heat. Stir in sugar, salt and butter until dissolved. Cool to lukewarm (if you can touch your hand to the bottom of the pan without discomfort, it's cool enough). In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add cooled milk mixture. Stir in half the flour. Stir in the minced onion and dill (I never actually measure it, I just toss in as much as I want - probably about double the recommended amount, or more ). Add the rest of the flour, stir until well blended. Cover and let rise in a warm place until tripled in bulk - about 1 hour. Stir down about 1/2 minute. Turn into a pie pan (this is a round loaf) and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. Brush top with butter and sprinkle with salt. If you have the willpower, let it cool before you eat it....it never lasts long enough to get cold in my family though.

Goes great with vegetable soup or stew or with cheese...and my dad likes to put honey on it, odd as that may sound for a savory bread.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted April 08, 2004 01:40     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yes, and as promised V, here's my not-so-top-secret family recipe for:

Deviled Eggs

hard-boiled eggs (however many you want, the more the merrier!)
mayonnaise (for those who know what it is, you could use Miracle Whip salad dressing instead, if you like the "tangy zip" hehe)
vinegar
salt and pepper
paprika (optional)

PEEL THE EGGS!

Slice eggs in half lengthwise, remove the yolks and set white part aside.

Mash up the yolks with a fork. Blend in mayonnaise (as much as you want, this is all to taste, but you want to use enough to make the mixture fairly creamy).

Add a leetle bit of vinegar (about 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. depending on how many eggs you used, for a dozen eggs I generally use about a capful which is approx. 1/2 tsp....again, it's all a matter of taste).

Salt and pepper to taste. (dash of salt, pinch of pepper probably enough)

Spoon filling into the hollows of the egg whites. Dust lightly with paprika.

Enjoy!

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted April 08, 2004 07:31     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Meg!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted April 08, 2004 09:49     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Toast à la Skul!

You will need:
2 slices of bread
1 toaster
1 clean plate
1 butter knife
1 small portion of butter

Put the slices of bread in the toaster, push the toaster handle down. Wait a few short minutes (you could get the butter ready in the meantime). The now toasted and crusty bread will pop out of the toaster by itself.
Put bread on plate. Apply butter (using the butter knife) on the slices of bread.

And voilà!

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted April 08, 2004 09:55     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the recepies Meg.
I will sure try both of them....

Skul, I'm gonna try it but your recepie seems a little difficult and advanced......

Cheers!....

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan