my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Gastronomy Domine (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4

Author Topic: Gastronomy Domine
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 11, 2003 13:48     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yikes! My wife is allergic to garlic, she would die on the spot! It's too bad, cause garlic is good!
 |  IP: Logged
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 25, 2003 16:46     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Soooo...here's that potato salad recipe Maldoror has been waiting to see for ages. Or rather, here's almost the whole of it. I ran into an unexpected translation problem: one of the ingredients seems to be non-existent in every goddamn dictionary, and I can't even access the university library because they're moving to the other side of the town for the next two months (!). A big apology to Maldoror and anyone else interested! What I'm looking for is a dairy product, a bit like natural youghurt but still not the same. I'll buy one can of that tomorrow so I can at least read the fucking label and find out what it's called in Swedish so Vroomfondel can try and help me out with this (if he's reading this at all, that is ).

I'll fill this in later when I find the missing link:

Potato Salad:

10-12 old potatoes
2-3 pickles
One large onion
Half a leek
2 green apples
About 1.75 decilitres (half a cup?) of light mayonnaise
One dl of cream
One dl of INGREDIENT X
About half a teaspoon of white pepper
Same amount of salt
Roughly two teaspoons of sugar
(One teaspoon of mustard)

Wash the potatoes, don't peel them. Then boil them until they're soft, pour the water out and let them cool to room temperature. Cut everything into smallish cubes and put the whole mess into a bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir a while. If the salad seems a bit too thick, add a little more cream. If you think the salad needs more taste, add one or two teaspoons of mustard and possibly a teaspoon of sugar. Finally let the salad cool in a fridge for about two or three hours. Serve with for example grilled sausage and cold beer or just cold beer.

NOTE: this is a very very free-form dish, so it might taste quite good even without that missing ingredient. Feel free to experiment...

PS. The mayonnaise has a big effect on the overall taste. I'm using "Becel", I don't know if it's available outside Scandinavia. It's a lo-fat product, but despite that it actually tastes good IMO!

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted June 25, 2003 17:43     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah Mr V, just hand me the missing link.
The result can be everything from success to mass foodpoisoning

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 26, 2003 09:32     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yummy, good recipe Väi!!

It seems to me that ingredient X would be a kind of Balkan style yogurt. I bought a big pot of that this week-end in an iranian grocery store in Montréal.

When we do potato salad here, we put some bacon in it (or salted lard, well fried). Try it!

Thanks again!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 26, 2003 09:44     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Old English recipe. This truly stretches my culinary talents. Great for literally any meal, and a particular favourite among students.

Beans On Toast

Ingredients:

1/2 Tin Baked Beans
2 slices Bread (white, brown, or with little bits in, doesn't matter)
Butter

Turn hob on. Pour beans into a small saucepan, and leave until they look ready (ie, not cold). Place bread in toaster, until it pops up.

Butter bread (which is now hopefully 'toast'), then pour (hopefully not burnt) Beans on top.

Serve.

Alright, I'll try and find a better one... I'm not totally useless, y'know...

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 26, 2003 10:16     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's my favourite recipe:

You will need:
Beer / whisky / wine.
A telephone.
Something to smoke when you're finished.

First open the beer and begin to drink. Then pick up the phone and order pizza delivery. Continue to drink until pizza arrives. Eat. Drink more. Smoke what you got. Drink what's left. Grin the grin of a satisfied man.

For extra pleasure, listen to voivod's back catalogue during the proceedings.

Enjoy!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 26, 2003 10:27     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bastard. Always one step ahead.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 26, 2003 10:40     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Balkan style yogurt Mal? Not Astro yogurt by any chance? I finally found some Astro in Montreal at a Pakistani fruiterie (I suspect those fascist provincial dairy boards try to keep it out of Quebec because it's an Ontarian product) and I am sooo happy because if there's one thing I cannot stand it's soupy yogurt. I like it firm baby.

V, I've never seen a potato salad recipe that uses green apples, I'm intruiged.

h, your recipe is definitely a staple. Now should I file it under 'p' for phone/pizza or 'd' for drink?

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 26, 2003 11:02     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
File it under 'A' for "All you'll ever need"!
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 26, 2003 11:07     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, Noitall, I don't know the brand, because it was in a big plastic thing next to 4-5 different kinds of feta cheese (hmm, there once was a topic about feta on this board, right?).

And I see what you mean. Good yogurt is fat yogurt. And we should not be afraid of fat. Fat is our friend. Fat is good. Fat is fat.

Lyc and h, I'm taking notes. Keep it coming!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 26, 2003 11:45     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There, everything you ever wanted to know about feta cheese without ever asking: http://www.voivodfan.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001146
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 27, 2003 13:56     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe, great recipes Lyc and h! Even I can remember those by heart!

Anyway, ingredient X is called gräddfil på svenska and kermaviili in Finnish. Vroom, my friend, do you know any corresponding English word for this stuff? I'm beginning to suspect that kermaviili isn't very common outside Scandinavia because the five different dictionaries I browsed didn't have the word listed!

Maldoror, baconized salad sounds great! I'll try that next week. Thanks!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 27, 2003 14:08     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinen:
Anyway, ingredient X is called gräddfil på svenska and kermaviili in Finnish.

Oh yeah, Gräddfil, great black metal band, I have all their CDs, and especially like their album "Demon crying sad tears of northern yogurt".

Anyway, thanks for all the trouble Väi. I'm not sure we get much scandinavian yogurts here in Canada. I'll adapt the recipe with good plain yogurt, you know the fat ones (see above).

And all these potatoes make me think of a great recipe from Québec: la tourtière! And I mean, the one we eat here in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean area (where we can find Jonquière), not the Montreal tourtière (which is just meat-pie).

Think I'll look for a recipe.

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted June 27, 2003 14:26     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm on it V, just threw a mail to Arla, Swedens biggest manufacturor of milk products

"Hej. Här kommer en lite udda fråga.
Det är på det viset att en polare från Finland gav ut ett recept på hans egen potatissallad på ett musikforum på nätet varpå raskt en kille i Quebec blev sugen på att testa det. Nu till problemet, vad heter GRÄDDFIL på Engelska? Vi vill ju inte lura honom med eventuella matförgiftningar som följd :-)

Tackar på förhand. Uffe"

Should be solved by Monday

Oops. Found it.

Swe = Gräddfil
Fin = Kermaviili
Eng = Fermented cream

If you get in more trouble, try this PDF: Food translator

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 27, 2003 15:14     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fermented cream? Sour cream? Hmm.

Anyway, look at this:

The famous Tourtière du Lac-Saint-Jean

Ingredients: Beef, pork
Moose, roe-deer, hare, partridge (optional) (I also like it with chicken hearts and liver – very tasty)
Potatoes
Onions
Pie crust
Beef juice (or consommé?)
Water

Preparation:
01- Cut out beef and pork in small cubes.
02- Add, if you have some, the wood meat.
03- Cut potatoes peeled in cubes, twice as much as the quantity of meat, and chop onions.
04- Cover with pie crust the bottom and the sides of a deep pot.
05- Deposit on the crust, in alternation or mixed, the meat and the potato cubes, and the onions as well.
06- Sprinkle with an equal mixture of water and beef juice (some guy I know put red wine, which seems interesting).
07- Cover with crust and make a hole in the center of the latter to let escape the vapor.
08- Cook without the cover during 30 minutes in the preheated oven at 220ºC (425ºF).
09- When the crust starts to gild, lower the temperature of the oven to 135ºC (275ºF), cover and cook during 5-6 hours.
10- You can check cooking by taking a potato cube by the chimney in the crust.
11- If it is cooked, the tourtière is ready.

Tips: - You can add salted bacon cut in very fine cubes. But careful it is salted.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 27, 2003 18:54     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vroom:
"Hej. Här kommer en lite udda fråga.
Det är på det viset att en polare från Finland gav ut ett recept på hans egen potatissallad på ett musikforum på nätet varpå raskt en kille i Quebec blev sugen på att testa det. Nu till problemet, vad heter GRÄDDFIL på Engelska? Vi vill ju inte lura honom med eventuella matförgiftningar som följd :-)

Tackar på förhand. Uffe"

LOL!!

quote:

If you get in more trouble, try this PDF: Food translator

Hey, that's very handy. Tackar! I was going to suggest sour cream earlier but a buddy of mine who lived in the States for a couple of years told me it's not exactly the same, so I continued the Ultimate Quest for Ultra-Accurate Food Recipes... Anyway, it's not that important an ingredient so it can easily be left out or replaced by youghurt etc. if need be.

Maldoror, the famous Tourtière du Lac-Saint-Jean seems very interesting! Mez, can you borrow me some of that hunting gear of yours so I can ensure the freshness of the ingredients when I prepare the meal? I'm not quite sure if it's legal to shoot farm animals, especially if they're not mine...

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 27, 2003 18:58     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic :
Yes. Ramen with catupiry (kind of creamy cheese).

Hey Slaytanic, can you maybe tell me more about ramen & catupiry? Sounds cool!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 27, 2003 21:18     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mal, I add chopped garlic with the onions and I brush the pastry with egg to make it shiny (beef and pork is as experimental as I get about the meat). And because my belle-mère said to (and if anyone knows the tortière du lac it's her) we put about a cup of boiling water in the chimney half way through cooking. But to really bastardize it in true anglo style, instead of eating it with plain ketchup I like to add about 1/4 c of worcestershire sauce to 1 c ketchup to give it a little spice.
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted July 14, 2003 17:52     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I accidently ran into a great recipe today - actually about two minutes ago. I got hungry while scanning the forum, ran to the fridge and...follow carefully now:

First get two 1/2 liter cans of icy cold Guinness. Drink one can. Open second can. Then eat some smoked fish, in this case Baltic herring (a small tasty white meat fish) with or without dark bread and butter. Enjoy the second can of Guinness simultaneously.

After you're finished, get a glass of some whisky you like. In my case it was Highland Queen. Take a sip and enjoy the *great* aftertaste!!

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 14, 2003 18:45     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is a recipe I came up with when my wife's cousin's husband brought me over some Moose meat. Moose is amazing and works as steaks, ground to make sausages, burgers, or used in spaghetti sauce - one of the most versatile wild meats. Probably coz it doesn't have much of that "wild game" taste.

We get lots of Deer, Moose and Buffalo so here's a tip for if you get some: marinate the meat in Beer for at least 6 hours to get rid of the wild taste and to help tenderize it. Like I said though, Moose doesn't need it. Use a decent Beer too, Budweiser will do but a nice Fort Garry Pale or Sam Adams works great.

Any ways here is the recipe:

Moose Heart Roast

Ingredients:

1 Moose heart
1 bottle premium beer
2 medium sized carrots
1 stick celery
1 small onion
2 or 3 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp whipped butter or margarine (can be seasoned with paprika, salt, whatever suits your mood)

Clean Moose heart with cold water. Place in a container with the beer. Let it sit for 6 hours, mixing it around occasionally.

Dice carrots, onions and celery. Mix together. Stuff into artery and vein holes. You want to stuff the inside without cutting open the heart. It's a stong muscle, but be careful not to tear it.

Stuff the garlic cloves in as well. They can be place in whole, or you could dice them and add to your carrot, onion and celery mixture.

Use a brush to coat the heart with your seasoned butter. I find whipped butter just easier to use. Wrap the entire thing in tinfoil and place on the top rack of your barbecue (med-high heat) for 30 to 40 min. Approx. every 10 open the tinfoil a bit and check the color. Color should be the same as roast beef. Leave the seam of the foil wrapping near the thickest meat (at the bottom) so you can open it and check with a knife how bloody you want it.

When it's done you can take it out of the foil, and give it some nice char-marks on the BBQ. You could even give it a baste with a bit of your favorite BBQ sauce, but not too much or what's the point of all that prepping? Cut into slices (like a roast) and enjoy! Serve with Beer (duh) and baked potato, corn on the cob, and whatever other BBQ favorites you have.

If you have a smoker (or smokehouse) it's even better. Tried that once and just loved it. Smoked meat of any kind rules!

I'll post my wife's awesome recipe for Baked Potato Salad soon. Great summer dish to go with BBQ.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted July 14, 2003 18:58     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay mister, you got me hungey again. Time for some more beer and smoekd fish....maybe I'll skip the berenow...

I have eaten moose many times as a kid, and I can sitll remember the taste. I've nemer tried thje intestines, but it's never to late I guess. Time to give myt father-in.law a call and ask if I can join his hunting compant next autumn...the season in nearing!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 15, 2003 09:18     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Last sunday, I ate salmon smoked on the barbecue. You prepare it like gravlaks (you marinate it with salt, pepper and sugar - or mapple syrup if you're from Canada!) and then you make a smoker with a metal pot: you put some wood in the bottom (mapple wood or apple tree) and then the fish on a grill and you cover it. Smokin'!
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 15, 2003 14:31     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinen:
Hey Slaytanic, can you maybe tell me more about ramen & catupiry? Sounds cool!

Oh sure. Prepare the ramen the way you like it. Take the water apart, add the catupiry to the pasta and have a good meal!

None more simple.

P.S.: maybe you can have a little problem finding the catupiry, so follow this link:

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 15, 2003 15:03     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So catupiry is cheese curd? I would substitute the ramen for fries and gravy. Voila - poutine! hehe

I'm not big on the taste of moose, or heart (I prefer to crush them than eat them, ) but I love smoked salmon though, yum! Indian candy is good too (Smoked salmon cured in maple syrup).

Now where's that potato salad recipe NV? I want to do some carbo loading.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 15, 2003 17:19     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, but not your usual cheese curd. It has a taste of its own. And it's very good... Yummy, I'm getting hungry!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan