my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » A Role Model For the Yutes of America...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Role Model For the Yutes of America...
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 03, 2003 22:05     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VOIVOD To Hold Legendary Rehearsal Session! [Hot Flashes - 03.04.03 21:15:16]

Chophouse Records and members of VOIVOD announced recently that the band will be holding a very special rehearsal session at the legendary Plant Recording Studios.

Chophouse Records President and Voivod bassist, Jason Newsted commented: “Getting real instruments into young people’s hands and encouraging a fun, rewarding relationship with music, is very important in today’s times of school music program cuts and other deterrents. We want to help create a positive, motivational force through music for some really cool kids.”

The band has invited school children from around the Bay Area to the Plant on Friday, April 11, 2003, where the band is rehearsing for their upcoming US tour with Sepultura. Newsted will be handling bass duties in Voivod and Ozzy Osbourne’s band as the trek continues through Canada and tops off the summer with Ozzfest.

Participating students are all receiving music instruction from a non-profit organization called Little Kids Rock (LKR). Founded by an elementary school teacher in 1996, LKR brings free music classes into public schools in CA, NY, NJ and TN. LKR Executive Director, Dave Wish, said that students, parents, and teachers from the program have been invited to an exclusive rehearsal session at the Plant where they will meet and interact with the band members, maybe even jam with them!

"The kids are beside themselves with excitement," said Wish. "We at LKR are deeply grateful because the band is also donating 13 guitars for the kids (in honor of their just released thirteenth album) as well as giving us some autographed Fender Precision electric basses to sell at auction."

Other supporters of the program include musicians Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead, Bonnie Raitt, Carlos Santana, B.B. King and the late blues legend, John Lee Hooker.

For additional information on Little Kids Rock head to www.littlekidsrock.org.

|  IP: Logged
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted April 03, 2003 22:42     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think jason was involved in this type of support programs also in the past ? ive seen a picture of jason, on the chophouse, hes in a school or something, with some youths.

Good Goin

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 03, 2003 23:29     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wasn't one of Voivod's first tours a school tour in Quebec in 1985? Was anyone here in school then? (In Quebec I mean, duh...)
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted April 04, 2003 02:37     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's very thoughtful of the band. Good, now we'll get more new Voivodians...
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 04, 2003 04:41     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's great! Better than greedy, self-serving musicians who don't care about getting the next generation interested, like we have over here.

Hatross, I think what you're referring to is the show Jason did with The Moss Brothers, two 12 and 14 year old brothers in his local neighbourhood.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 04, 2003 06:01     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VERY COOL
Since most schools in the US have dropped most of their art programs, this is excellent...it'll also show them what 'real' music is, and how people actually 'play' instruments, instead of samples!!!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 04, 2003 08:32     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
Wasn't one of Voivod's first tours a school tour in Quebec in 1985? Was anyone here in school then? (In Quebec I mean, duh...)

I played a couple of shows in high schools when I was a teen with my first band. It was in Chicoutimi and it was trippy; we felt like teenage rockstars, blasting Seek and Destroy and Maiden tunes! (Oh, and we sucked, by the way!)

Those were the days!

Anyway, it's very cool what Voivod are gonna do. It proves that they are down to earth and socially active.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 04, 2003 11:52     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
I hope Jason makes sure to tell the yoots about the long term health effects of the windmill. Ergonomics of headbangin' 101.

LOL. I hope he doesn't tell them the only drug they indulge in is pot. ROTFL!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan