my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Name that tune - For Christ's sake, its driving me mad!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Name that tune - For Christ's sake, its driving me mad!!
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 03, 2003 05:15     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My Fellow Voivodfans – Please Help!

I’ve got this tune in my head and I HAVE to go buy it on CD, but for the life of me I can’t think what it is. It’s classical music, and goes something like this:

(fast violins in the background) da-da da da/da-da da da (repeat)

(then, HUGE LOUD EVIL FAT brass) DAAAAAAAA-DAAAAAAA. DA…DA…DA…DAAAAAAAA. DA-DAAAAAAAAAA. Da-da-da-DAAAAAA. Da-da-da DA! DA! (then back to violins)

For anyone who had ‘Earthworm Jim’ on the Sega Megadrive/Genesis, it was the background music when Jim is on the Planet Heck (where the evil cat lived).

My mate and I think it was in the classic Bugs Bunnys cartoon based on Wagner’s Gotterdammerung (The Ring) where Elma Fud chases Bugs about in a viking helmet and there’s fire and mountains everywhere (“what have I done…I killed a waaabit”). So I bought an excerpt from the The Ring but it wasn’t on there. There was, however, the music to Excalibur which I’ve wanted for years, so that was an unexpected bonus.

Please please please someone tell me what it is! You know it, everyone knows it.

|  IP: Logged
Cockroach
VoivodFan
Member # 115

posted April 03, 2003 05:39     Profile for Cockroach   Email Cockroach     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
My Fellow Voivodfans – Please Help!

I’ve got this tune in my head and I HAVE to go buy it on CD, but for the life of me I can’t think what it is. It’s classical music, and goes something like this:

(fast violins in the background) da-da da da/da-da da da (repeat)

(then, HUGE LOUD EVIL FAT brass) DAAAAAAAA-DAAAAAAA. DA…DA…DA…DAAAAAAAA. DA-DAAAAAAAAAA. Da-da-da-DAAAAAA. Da-da-da DA! DA! (then back to violins)

Please please please someone tell me what it is! You know it, everyone knows it.

I know a composition that goes like this: ta-ta ta/ta-ta ta ta (repeat)

then TAAAAAAAA- TAAAAAAAA- TA... TA... TA... TAAAAAAA. TA- TAAAAAAAA. Ta-ta-ta TAAAAA. Ta-ta-ta TA! TA!

But it is TA, not DA, so probably not the one you are looking for, sorry

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 03, 2003 05:42     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, you're thinking of the inferior Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra version, they had a smaller brass section so DA became TA.

I assure you it should be DA. It means, of course, that I have to get the £12 CD rather than a £5 one.

Right now my brother and I think it may be 'King Olaf' by Elgar (of all people!), but its proving very hard to find out for sure.

Cockroach
VoivodFan
Member # 115

posted April 03, 2003 06:10     Profile for Cockroach   Email Cockroach     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, i have to admit that my education in classical music leaves a lot to be desired...
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted April 03, 2003 06:20     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think that i might be in for a prize of sort? Assuming that I'm not very wrong in the head indeed.
It could well be:

Mussorgsky: 'Night on Bare Mountain.'?

That's a hifi tester that one and no mistake.
It's very violent like Stravinski's 'The rite of Spring', if you know that one?

Am I right? Am I?

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 03, 2003 06:25     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh you fucking angel! Cheers muchly!

Here's the General Midi version:
http://eh.mit.edu/tengo/Composers/mussorgsky.htm

I was pretty close in my text-based version, was I not?

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted April 03, 2003 06:38     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You MUST have been pretty close, if I am right?
I was then, I take it? It's a fantastic piece
isn't it? I remember going through the exact same process as you - recalling it and needing the whole thing - which took years to discover what it was.

I believe that there a two versions of the piece - one original, and then another with recomposition by Rimsky-Korsikov, or summat like that.
I think a lot of Mussorgsky's pieces were originally for piano - like "pictures at an Exhibition".
Anyway at least you knowe what it is now./

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted April 03, 2003 06:42     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm listening to the midi now.
I'd forgotten what a fantastic piece this was. I'm not sure the midi quite captures the 'kick your fucking head in nature' of it, but it's still cool.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 03, 2003 06:42     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm surprised Emerson Lake and Palmer didn't give it a crack. Or (sinister music) did they?
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted April 03, 2003 06:47     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm surprised Emerson Lake and Palmer didn't give it a crack. Or (sinister music) did they?

They probably did nick bits of it and didn't acknowledge the fact. They are worse than Andrew Lloyd Tosser for that.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted April 03, 2003 06:48     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

DAMN... I knew what it was as soon as the brass came in!

ELP did not attempt this one, but a bargain bin band called 'Fireballet'
did a pretty nifty little version...
Maybe I will attempt to find it & post it.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 03, 2003 07:05     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"I'm not sure the midi quite captures the 'kick your fucking head in nature' of it, but it's still cool."

LOL!! I'm off to find it on CD now. And this evening I'm off to see Yngwie Malmsteen in all his leather-pants/arppegio-riden glory!!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 03, 2003 07:36     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Got it! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Its not the Slovak version neither.

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted April 03, 2003 09:17     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
'Mekkong Delta', there's a blast from the past...
I remember buying an album of their's alongside 'Deception Ignored' by Deathrow.
I can barely remember either of them now,
other than a mad progout called 'Triopticon', I think?

PS: I've only just realised that it's 'bald' and not 'bare' mountain...

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 03, 2003 10:39     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Funny, the text description was spookily accurate.

Earthworm Jim was great! I loved that Heck level!

vodka
VoivodFan
Member # 249

posted April 03, 2003 16:40     Profile for vodka   Email vodka     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BumËggs:
'Mekkong Delta', there's a blast from the past...
I remember buying an album of their's alongside 'Deception Ignored' by Deathrow.
I can barely remember either of them now,
other than a mad progout called 'Triopticon', I think?

PS: I've only just realised that it's 'bald' and not 'bare' mountain...

Yor're wrong it's actually "bare" mountain, Mekong delta maybe are not active, still they havent finished yet. I have 3 cd's from these guys and its great, songs like toccata,the princilpele of doubt still kick ass...
i wish today musicins have at least 50 percent of tallent as these germans...
european metal today rules.(from germany,finland,sweden...),american metal that use to reign supreme isnt as good as it was in the early/mid 90 and 80's

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 04, 2003 11:22     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FROM BLABBERMOUTH:

"Moussorgsky says that he can kick Stravinsky's ass"

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted April 27, 2003 16:21     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldoror:
FROM BLABBERMOUTH:

"Moussorgsky says that he can kick Stravinsky's ass"

LOL!

Hey, Emlyn and the rest of you "Baldies", I found the version of this music I had previously spoken of.

It has a bit of a dated '70's Prog Sound' to it, but I have always enjoyed this band's unique rock interpretation -

Here is a dee-luxe VBR MP3 edit of the first few minutes of Fireballet's:

Night on Bald Mountain

(click image for info)

I will leave this one up for quite awhile...
Hope y'all enjoy it.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 27, 2003 16:24     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Awesome Tangento! Nice interpretation of the piece.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan