my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Away's drum set...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Away's drum set...
jerklund
VoivodFan
Member # 254

posted March 26, 2003 11:24     Profile for jerklund   Email jerklund     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...it seems to get smaller and smaller...how he is going to play older stuff? he has double pedal for bass drum-right?
Those of you who have hear Voivod live stuff and seen them live...comments?
I'm listening Voivod Lives live CD right now and it's really hard to believe that Away makes all that "noise" with such a tiny kit...

br,

T

|  IP: Logged
iancstewart
VoivodFan
Member # 212

posted March 26, 2003 16:27     Profile for iancstewart   Email iancstewart     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Away plays drums very lightly. I recall seeing them in 1990 for the first time and being confused by how huge his sound was and how his hands barely moved when he played. And his arms didn't move at all really.

Unlike me, from the Tommy Lee, caveman anti-school of drumming which consists mainly of flailing away in every direction and occasionally breaking things.

Away has always gotten huge drum sounds, which continues to amaze me considering what a light touch he has.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 26, 2003 17:26     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually Jerky, his drumset will even be getting smaller than that. I heard that to save money, Jasonic is totally eliminating Away and replacing him with a drum machine.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted March 26, 2003 23:22     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Away's drumming blew me away when I saw him for the first time on the Outer Limits tour. He's very fluid and doesn't smash them very hard. He had a pretty big kit on that tour. I think it was a bit smaller on the Negatron tour, but he still smoked.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted March 26, 2003 23:31     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well you know what they say - it's not the size of your kit, it's how you play it.
satan
VoivodFan
Member # 35

posted March 27, 2003 07:32     Profile for satan   Email satan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
jerklund...

Away uses a double bass pedal.

As far as there being less and less drums...
He has been using the same basic 5-pc set for years now.
Costs less to ship around & easier to set up.
No point in setting up a 10-pc set if your only going to use half of it.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 27, 2003 08:13     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"No point in setting up a 10-pc set if your only going to use half of it. "

Man, I wish my old drummer felt the same!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan