my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Eric Forrest + Fav Songs from those albums

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eric Forrest + Fav Songs from those albums
burninglunarstar5
VoivodFan
Member # 259

posted March 25, 2003 21:51     Profile for burninglunarstar5   Email burninglunarstar5     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Forgive me if this has been talked about a million times.. i never really read anywhere exactly why Eric Forrest left the band. i knew it had something to do with the accident but never found out the whole truth. Anyone care to enlighten me?
I'm also big fan of Negatron, Phobos and Kronik as well as all of Snake's material. I thought Eric was a great fit in Voivod and I was bummed he's no longer with the band even though Snake has long made up for it. Those were some very moody and powerful albums and Eric's voice and bass fit lovely I thought. The production on Phobos was nothing but spectacular.. and has been in my opinion the best VOIVOD production ever. Just listen to the song 'Erosion' or anything off Phobos.. Anyone care to share their fav songs off of those 3 cd's?-->
Erosion
Phobos
Bacteria
Quantum
Neutrino
Project X
Reality?
Meteor
Bio TV
- Thanks!

|  IP: Logged
raiderart
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 248

posted March 26, 2003 01:28     Profile for raiderart   Email raiderart     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I never cared for Eric's "singing" style. To me, he sounded too much like Cookie Monster screaming into a giant fan. Piggy's guitar work, although stripped down a bit, is always fantastic.

Songs of particular note:
Planet Hell
Rise
Forlorn

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 26, 2003 04:53     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still don't listen to Negatron much. It's not just casue of Eric, but the songs don't seem crazy enough. Phobos made up for that though. That's a fine record. Worth the admission for the title track alone. The band rocked on that. I'd love to hear the unreleased stuff, but I'd rather hear more Snake!
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 26, 2003 08:02     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by burninglunarstar5:
i never really read anywhere exactly why Eric Forrest left the band. i knew it had something to do with the accident but never found out the whole truth. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Piggy and Away decided to disband Voivod in 2001. Eric started his own band, E-Force. A couple of months later Voivod was reformed with Snake returning to the fold. According to the band there was no disagreement over anything between Eric and them. They just decided to call it quits and Eric wanted to continue with a new band as far as I understand.

Vortex & Erosion & Ion - those alone are good enough a reason to get Kronik! *MOSH*!!!

iancstewart
VoivodFan
Member # 212

posted March 26, 2003 09:32     Profile for iancstewart   Email iancstewart     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't speak French, does that mean Eric was "dead"?

It's like when Paul McCartney was "dead".

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted March 26, 2003 10:06     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rough translation...

"Severe accident in Germany....Quebecois rock group's brush with DEATH!!!"

So that doesnt mean that they're dead, but they got extremely close.

jerklund
VoivodFan
Member # 254

posted March 26, 2003 11:27     Profile for jerklund   Email jerklund     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello,
like I said in previous mail - I'm listening Voivod Lives right now and i think these versions of these songs are quite impressive...Nanoman is my fav at the moment.
I must say also that Eric sing Snake era song very well!!!
Did anyone see them in Sweden on that tour?

br,
T

izgoblin
VoivodFan
Member # 178

posted March 26, 2003 12:31     Profile for izgoblin   Email izgoblin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hated the Eric material for a long time, but after giving a few more listens I decided that the following tracks are killer:

Insect
Nanoman
Rise
The Tower
Ion

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted March 26, 2003 12:38     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cosmic conspiracy, mercury, vortex, maybe meteor. etc,
Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted March 26, 2003 16:40     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the best Eric Forrest material was played on their final tour together, but was only demoed at best. Check out the live "confrontation" mp3. Holy heavy psych.

I think Phobos is arguably as good as the trilogy. It's my 4th favorite 'vod.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted March 26, 2003 23:28     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dig the Eric-era stuff. It's just another flavour to enjoy. I prefer Negatron, but then I put on Phobos and I can't decide. Kronik rules. One of my fave E.P.'s from any band.
TheHade
VoivodFan
Member # 109

posted March 27, 2003 06:17     Profile for TheHade   Email TheHade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nate Carson:I think Phobos is arguably as good as the trilogy.

What trilogy do you refer to?
I still enjoy Eric's style very much because to me he represents more of that "Keep it Metal!"-approach than Snake.
"Phobos" is my favorite Voivod-album - it only has great songs!

Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted March 28, 2003 08:39     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by raiderart:
I never cared for Eric's "singing" style. To me, he sounded too much like Cookie Monster screaming into a giant fan.

omg ... lol ! that made my day : he can't be more accurate

burninglunarstar5
VoivodFan
Member # 259

posted March 29, 2003 00:41     Profile for burninglunarstar5   Email burninglunarstar5     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree that Eric's voice isn't or wasn't too melodic but he gave the revamped Voivod in '94-'95 a good needed kick in the ass.. They almost gave it up then too like they did in 2001 but then Eric came along and got Michel and Denis excited about playing again. It was an exciting time! Anyways, thanks 4 the help w/ my ?
Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted March 30, 2003 18:00     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"What trilogy do you refer to?"

The trilogy is Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, Nothingface.

It's the strongest Voivod period because they made 3 perfect albums in a row. Phobos is my next fave followed by Outer Limits, Voivod, and War and Pain.

Negatron, Angel Rat, and Roooaaarrr have some filler IMO.

code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted April 01, 2003 11:20     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the Forrest era, especially Phobos, is great. Phobos is actually a masterpiece.

Fav songs from the era:

Bacteria
Rise
Phobos
The Tower
Forlorn
Meteor
Insect
Planet X
Temps Mort (brutal atmosphere! Voivod needs more accordion!)

cya all

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 01, 2003 12:44     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by code:
Temps Mort (brutal atmosphere! Voivod needs more accordion!)

Right on! I love that track too. That's what I liked the most about Phobos: the atmosphere, the sound effects, it's very trippy yet fückļng hėäv˙! And it stands as a whole like DH (except for the two songs at the end). True Voivod!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan