my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Book Readers (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Book Readers
ruiner
VoivodFan
Member # 79

posted March 24, 2003 02:58     Profile for ruiner   Email ruiner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, peeps - who amongst us are avid book readers? I am a big reader, some of my favourite stuff:

Ken Kesey - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game
Stephen King - The Shining
George Orwell - 1984
Colin Wilson - Everything he writes!
Frank Herbert - Dune
Clive Barker - Weaveworld
Ray Bradbury - Something Wicked This Way Comes
Umberto Eco - Foucault's Pendulum
James Ellroy - American Tabloid
Thomas Harris - Hannibal
Herman Hesse - Siddhartha
Carl Sagan - Contact
JRR Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings
William Gibson - Neuromancer
JD Salinger - The Catcher in the Rye
Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Aldous Huxley - Brave New World

There's lots more. I've just finished Melville's "Moby Dick" (that was a bit of an effort, but enjoyable) and I'm starting Burrough's "Naked Lunch" (weird!).

Anyone else reading something interesting? Any books you can recommend?

|  IP: Logged
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 24, 2003 08:56     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Billy Goats Gruff - Read It Yourself

Readers Wives Write-in - Penthouse

The Iliad (original Ancient Greek transcript) - Homer

The Bible - God

The Koran - Allah

The Dirt - 4 fuckheads who got lucky

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted March 24, 2003 09:01     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool topic. I am an avid reader (when I have the time) and enjoy Sci-Fi and Fantasy the most. I also read alot of books on U.F.O.'s, Ghosts and paranormal stuff (even though I don't believe in most of it). I also find books on conspiracies quite interesting.

R.A. Salvatore - Icedwind Dale Trilogy & The Dark Elf Trilogy

Brian Lumley - The Necroscope Saga

Clive Barker - Imajica/Weaveworld/The Great And Secret Show

Stephen King - It/Tommyknockers/The Stand/and the short story collections

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord Of The Rings

H.G. Wells - The War Of The Worlds (I've read this book once a year since I was 12)

Margaret Wiess & Tracy Hickman - The Dragonlance Chronicles/Legends Chronicles/The Death Gate Cycle

Richard Awlinson - The Avatar Trilogy

Issac Asimov - The Foundation Trilogy

Joan Slonczewski - A Door Into Ocean

P.C. Hodgell - God Stalk/Dark Of The Moon

Jack L. Chalker - The Well Of Souls Series/4 Lords Of The Diamond series

Eric Van Lustbader - The Sunset Warrior series

Piers Anthony - Incarnations Of Immortality series

Mick Foley - Have A Nice Day

Michel Baigent, Richard Leigh & Henry Lincoln - The Holy Blood And The Holy Grail/The Messianic Legacy/The Elixir And The Stone

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 24, 2003 09:16     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm reading the same two books I was when this thread was started several months ago. But Ruiner, if you haven't already, I would strongly suggest two books.

Edward Abbey- Desert Solitaire

Anybody who loves the American Southwest should check this out. A nice mixture of fiction and nonfiction narrative by the crazy anarchist Abbey.

Edward Crankshaw- The Shadow of the Winter Palace

This is a history of the Russian Revolution going back as far as 1825. I've only read the first paragraph but its excellent.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 24, 2003 09:34     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just finished Arthur Clarke's "3001", and it was joyous from start to end. Great end to the now "quadrilogy".

Only another book I read recently was Kafka's "Metamorphosis", also very nice and quick to read (took me an hour, at max).

Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted March 24, 2003 11:38     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Poe
Lovecraft
Asimov
Tolkien
King
And some books which I don't remember the title who speaks about some interesting theory about the piramids and Atlantide.

I also like to read some Italians comics

The last books I read were the first three of Harry Potter.

Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted March 24, 2003 12:33     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
William Peter Blatty
Charles Bukowski
Jack Kerouac
Charles Baudelaire
Some Edgar Allan Poe

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted March 24, 2003 12:39     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Mezcalhead I have a book here which you may be interested in. My father lent it to me a few months ago yet I have only read the first five chapters. It is called "The tide at sunrise" and is about the war of 1904-05 between Japan and Russia. Though a history book it can be summed up as a tragi-comedy due to some of the farces which happened then thanks to vanity and ignorance mainly on the russian part.

Hey Slaytanic, ever read Franz Kafka's "The Castle"? Quite an enjoyable read as well as thought provoking. I have a copy of the book around here somewhere; it'll turn up again sooner or later - I hope!

The following is a couple of the other 100+ odd books and magazines which I usually have on the go at any given time...

NERDS 2.0.1. - A Brief History of the Internet by Stephan Segaller.

Lost Victories - The war memoirs of Hitler's most brilliant general by Field Marshal Erich Von Manstein.

At Hitler's Side - The memoirs of Hitler's Luftwaffe Adjutant 1937-45 by Nicolaus Von Below.

Hitler's Commanders - German bravery in the field 1939-45 by James Lucas

*** JUST ORDERED ***
Hitler and his Generals - Military conferences 1942-45 - The first complete stenographic record of the military situation conferences from Stalingrad to Berlin by Helmut Heiber & David M. Glantz

I also have to read the following magazines: the last two issues of National Geographic; the last three issues of Maximum P.C.; the last three issues of Reader's Digest; the last two issues of Islands; the last issue of Hawaii; not to forget a bunch of magazines which I regularly "borrow" from where I work in the local printing industry (B.C. Business; Aviator; Alive; Healthy Living; Gardenwise, etc.).

And finally for all of you die-hard KISS fans out there:

KISS and Sell - The making of a supergroup - An unauthorized look at one of Rock's most successsful and outrageous supergroups by C.K. Lendt (He travelled around the world with KISS and handled their business and financial affairs and attended nearly 800 concerts in 25 countries!).

"I'm really not insane you know. YES I AM!!!"

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted March 24, 2003 13:17     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like to read a lot, books and magazines (Atlantic Monthly is my most recent fave mag). I just finished Jeffrey Eugenides "Middlesex," and I had a hard time putting it down. It took Eugenides ten years to write this one, and it shows - it's a historic novel with expertly crafted twists and turns that read like a personal memoir. Definitely the kind of book you can read many times over.

Here's a brief synopsis:

quote:
We find out in the first two pages that Cal Stephanides, our narrator, was born in January 1960 as Calliope Helen Stephanides: a beautiful baby girl. In 1974, it becomes apparent that our teenage girl is indeed a hermaphrodite, with very strong male characteristics, thereby becoming Cal: an adolescent boy. But that's not the whole story, now 41-years-old, Cal is delving into his family history to find out how he became who he is.

As a result, this novel follows the story of a Greek family, starting on the side of Mount Olympus, immigrating to the United States, settling in Detroit in the 1920's and evolving into the 1970's. We glimpse into the Greco-Turkish War, the Burning of Smyrna, the industrial revolution in the United States, prohibition, and the depression years. In addition, we get a taste of life in Detroit, Michigan, during the 50's, 60's, and 70's -- the Nation of Islam, the race riots and discrimination in the real estate industry.

VodFan
VoivodFan
Member # 201

posted March 24, 2003 13:59     Profile for VodFan   Email VodFan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dean Koontz
Edgar Allan Poe
Stephen King
Poppy Z. Brite
Mary Shelley
Bram Stoker
H.P. Lovecraft
Robert Louis Stevenson

that's all I can think of right now...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 24, 2003 16:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bill Waterson - The Calvin and Hobbes books!!!
it doesn't get any better than that.

But seriously folks, I read slow (probably from too much metal in my brains) so it takes a while to complete a book and I don't get much time to really read.

I did enjoy a bunch of novels by an author named MORROW. He penned 'Towing Jehoviah' 'Only Begotten Daughter' and a few more interesting reads.

2 of by old times favs are:
Sidhartha
Catcher In The Rye

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 24, 2003 17:54     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A Stephen King Fan to the core;

Fave King works:
=============

1. The Talisman
2. The Stand
3. The Shining
4. Dreamcatcher
5. Night Shift (short stories)
6. Black House
7. Desperation
8. 'Salem's Lot
9. The Dark Tower/ Gunslinger Series (just starting on that)
10. From a Buick 8 (also currently reading)

Kurt Vonnegut
===========

1. Slaughterhouse 5 (one of the greatest books ever written)
2. Sirens of Titan
3. Cat's Cradle
4. Welcome to the Monkey House
5. Breakfast of Champions

Other Authors:
===========

Dean Koontz - Strange Highways
(seeking advice on what to read next; I like his horror stuff)

Robert Stone - Dog Soldiers

Edgar Allen Poe - Tell Tale Heart (and anything else he's done)

Many more

-And one more thing:
Has anyone here read this book called
'Satan Burger' by Carlton Mellick III?
I recently read a review, and it sounds very interesting.

Here have a look:
http://tinyurl.com/82x9

war4territory
VoivodFan
Member # 239

posted March 24, 2003 19:17     Profile for war4territory   Email war4territory     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
poe, lovecraft, king, but clive barker is best.the books of blood;everville;imajica;weaveworld;the great and secret show. If you read slow try the thief of always.
ruiner
VoivodFan
Member # 79

posted March 25, 2003 02:05     Profile for ruiner   Email ruiner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool! Glad to see we're all well read. I'll definitely check out the books other Voivod fans are reading.

However, now that I'm half way through William Burroughs' "Naked Lunch" I can definitely recommend you DON'T read it! (Unless you like endless descriptions of gay sex and drug use) I've read a lot of stuff, but this is easily the most insane, illogical, plot-less, indecipherable piece of "literature" I've stumbled across. Unfortunately, I have a weird compulsion to finish anybook I start...d'oh!

ruiner
VoivodFan
Member # 79

posted March 25, 2003 02:09     Profile for ruiner   Email ruiner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
A Stephen King Fan to the core

Yeah, me too. I've read about 80% of his books. I'm looking forward to the fifth installment of the "Dark Tower" series ("Wolves of the Calla"). I think his best work in recent years has been the "Dark Tower" related stuff, like "Hearts in Atlantis" and the title story from "Everything's Eventual".

TheHade
VoivodFan
Member # 109

posted March 27, 2003 06:13     Profile for TheHade   Email TheHade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
A Stephen King Fan to the core

Me too! I've read everything that's officially available by him. "The Dark Tower" is my absolute favorite! I can't wait to get the fifth book at last (but I'll have to wait a little longer in order to get the cheaper paperback...)!
In addition to that I enjoy George Orwell, H.G. Wells, B. Traven and many others. On the other hand I loathed "Lord of the rings": I hated it as a novel and am not interested in a
imaginative text book on linguistics.
I also like all kinds of books on history and special people.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted January 02, 2004 11:56     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Devil's Butcher Shop by Roger Morris....This is about the Santa Fe Prison Riot that took place in Feb. 1980. Maybe not enough gory details and the writer tends to lose his point at times, however, it speaks of the complete fuck ups called the Administration, governors, judges, et al. Check it out!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 02, 2004 12:16     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am still creeping my way through the Dark Tower series, and savoring every word. It's fucking awesome, but I just don't have the spare time (or the peace & quiet ) required to really get going on them.

However, I have read one other book since my last post here, and would like to recommend it to one and all. To save time & space, I'll just link to the brief review I wrote for it:

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted January 02, 2004 14:23     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Krakauer's Into Thin Air is a good read as well.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

druillet
VoivodFan
Member # 123

posted January 02, 2004 16:32     Profile for druillet   Email druillet     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i loved "ender's game"O.S.Card
Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted January 02, 2004 19:09     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I will not respond to queries while someone refers to me as 'peeps'.
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted January 02, 2004 19:42     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now, now, Jhary. Is it worse to be called 'peep' than something like 'mah nizzle' or 'cum dumpster'? Anyhow, I just finished 'Naked Pictures of Famous People' by Jon Stewart, and I laughed my ass off at each and every vignette. His style is similar to Woody Allen's books, but much funnier.
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted January 03, 2004 01:05     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The following in no particular order is a few strays which I have recently taken in and provided a nice home for (As usual I have over 100+ books on the go at any given time many of which will eventually end up unread in or on one of my overflowing book cabinets and only to be replaced by a bunch more books and magazines!):

Stuka Pilot - Air War on the Russian Front with Germany's foremost pilot by Hans Ulrich Rudel

Platoon Leader - A frontline Personal Report of Vietnam Battle Action by James R. McDonough

It's True! It's True! by Kurt angle

Tributes - Remembering some of the World's Greatest Wrestlers by Dave Meltzer

The Knights of the Bushido - A short History of Japanese War Crimes by Lord Russell of Liverpool

The Scourge of the Swastika - A short History of Nazi War Crimes by Lord Russell of Liverpool

Band of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose

Their War - German Combat Photographs from the Archives of Signal by Will Fowler and Mike Rose

Blackjack 33 - Fourteen Deadly Days with the Mobile Guerrilla Force in Vietnam by James C. Donahue

Tough Call - Hard-Hitting Phone Pranks by Mike Loew

Mutual Funds for Canadians for Dummies - A Reference for the Rest of Us by Andrew Bell

All Too Human - A Political Education by George Stephanopoulos

Berlin Dance of Death by Helmut Altner

Free Fire Zones - The True Story of U.S. Navy SEAL Combat in Vietnam by Kevin dockery

The Illustrated Book of World War 2 by Charles Messenger

Ringmaster - Jerry springer by Jerry Springer and Laura Morton

--------------------

When the chime ends, pickup your gun. Try and shoot me Coronel... Just try...

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 03, 2004 04:31     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm. Books and writers I really liked include:

Erich Remarque - All Quiet on the Western Front;
Joseph Heller - Catch-22;
Bill Bryson, Peter Moore and other travel writers;
Douglas Adams (especially "The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul");
Mario Puzo - The Last Don;
San Guo Yan Yi, or Romance of Three Kingdoms - Luo Kuan-Chung.

Lots of history books as well... just looking up at my shelf I can see a few about codebreaking, the fall of Berlin, Stalingrad, a few Stephen Ambrose books, etc.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 04, 2004 07:01     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just got done reading "Mystic River" by Dennis Lehane, first novel I've read in like ten years. Pretty good book, I guess, starts out really slow and sorta trudges on until the last hundred pages or so. Anyhow, it involved murder, lies, true love, all that good stuff. I heard the movie is pretty good, too. Clint Eastwood directed it, while Sean Penn and Tim Robbins starred. Did I actually enjoy it? Eh, 'twas merely eyelid muscle exercise, I guess, nothing too neurostimulatory.

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan