my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Metal Disappointment (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Metal Disappointment
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 24, 2003 11:09     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How can you put State Of Euphoria in amongst that lot?! Its a great album.

Shit compared to Among the Living, yeah, but still a good 'un!

|  IP: Logged
Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted March 24, 2003 11:48     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Entombed - Clandestine???
It's the proof that people's tastes are subjective and various, it's one of my favourite album of that kind of music...

Megadeth - The one after Rust in Peace
DBC - Universe
Metallica - And Justice for All
Iron Maiden - Somewere in Time

I would add cold lake but after the rewievs I read about it I never had the courage to listen to it...

ruiner
VoivodFan
Member # 79

posted March 25, 2003 02:23     Profile for ruiner   Email ruiner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helldriver:
I would add cold lake but after the rewievs I read about it I never had the courage to listen to it...

All I had to do was look at the band photo on the back. Listening wasn't required!!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted March 25, 2003 03:43     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
stated by Emlyn K Helicopter:
quote:
How can you put State Of Euphoria in amongst that lot?! Its a great album

stated by Helldriver:

quote:
Entombed - Clandestine??? ...it's one of my favourite album of that kind of music...

I'm not saying those records were plain shite and they sure have great spots but the topic was all about disappointment, right?
...and I have to say that in the light of Spreading the Disease / Among the Living and Left Hand Path, those aforementioned albums were exactly that... disappointing.
but I sure was expecting ATL or LHP v2.0... maybe why...

then again I could disagree with Helldriver about Somewhere in Time... I was balanced at the time but it's a solid album... and that '86 tour was a blast!

Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted March 25, 2003 08:03     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ruiner:
All I had to do was look at the band photo on the back. Listening wasn't required!!

yes it happened to me also...

For The Outcast :
As I was saying it's all question of personal taste, I like much more Clandestine than Left Hand Path, and you are right about the 86' tour of Iron Maiden, it was a great show.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted March 25, 2003 10:11     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I liked 'Somewhere In Time' when it came out and still I do. Well, at that time I just had gotten into Metal so I easn't too critical. On the other hand, there are not too many albums I listened back then that I still like.

Disappointment of the century:
Queensrÿche - Hear In The Now Frontier
Until that moment I was a big fan but this album ruined it all for me. IT...TOTALLY...SUCKED...!!! Boy, did it suck. No other album had ever sucked like this before. If sucking was an Olympic sport, they would haver earned the Golden Medal very easily.
I hate the recent crap by Paradise Lost also, so I didn't bother buying any of that.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 25, 2003 13:13     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I doubt you could even classify them as metal, but I experienced a HUUUUGE disappointment back in 1979 when I picked up 'Dynasty' by Kiss. Holy crap, I couldn't believe Kiss would release a disco tune. Me and all my other 8-year old buddies declared that Kiss sucked and moved onto whatever was next, which was likely Star Wars action figures or something.
burninglunarstar5
VoivodFan
Member # 259

posted March 25, 2003 15:45     Profile for burninglunarstar5   Email burninglunarstar5     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone saying Carcass' Heartwork is a disappointment needs a friggin psychologist..seriously.. anyways..
I havent bought many cd's lately but the ones that i remember being not so great were-
Danzig 5 and a lot of parts through 6 + 7
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Rollins Band - both albums after 'Come In and Burn'
Two - Voyeurs

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 25, 2003 17:30     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Which Sacred Reich song did they cover?

"One Nation". In pure nu-metal fashion.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 26, 2003 05:03     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
[QB]Carcass got weak. "Symphonies of Sickness" and "Reek of Putrefaction" are the two best releases by them.

You're right there mate. "Symphonies" rocks. The one after with the 4000-long-word-title-that-I-can-never-remember was a pretty good, although alot cleaner. Heartworks did nothing for me.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 26, 2003 05:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll have to agree with Queensryche "Hear in the nOw Frontier". I was a huge fan and this album was SHIT...stinky SHIT with flies buzzing around it.

As for Maiden I still enjoy Somewhere in Time, and I thought Seventh Son was cool also...kinda prog metal, sounds like they were listeninng to early Fates Warning when they wrote it.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted March 26, 2003 06:14     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I liked Seventh Son too, except for some cheesy tunes. All albums after that were hugely disapointing. I even didn't like Brave Nw World very much.

Some Bruce Dickinson solo albums were really good however (especially The Chemical Wedding).

Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted March 26, 2003 06:49     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with Warcorpse !

But Prong's "Rude Awakening" is a brilliant record in my eyes. Very cool lyrics.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted March 26, 2003 07:55     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The only Maiden album I've ben disappointed with was No Prayer For The Dying. Fear Of The Dark was pretty good. The X-Factor kinda stunk, but it had a few good tunes. Same with Virtual IX. But NPFTD was pretty much a throw away. SIT and SSOASS are excellent. Same with BNW. Then again, I am a huge fan, so I'm a tad biased!
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 26, 2003 08:11     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Would you agree with :

KISS - The Elder ???

this was the biggest dissappointment of my ife inthat time....

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 26, 2003 08:14     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heartwork was a dissapointment at the time, like many others I was expecting something like Necrotisism II (which is as good as death metal gets, IMO). Still, I quite like it now.

Nothing beats Reek... though, apart from (of course) Scum.

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted March 27, 2003 04:28     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nocturnus - Ethereal Tomb
Where is the spirit of their unique first two works? I had expected so much, but this.. no, too normal.

Kataklysm - Victims Of This Fallen World
They changed their insane brutality for harcore parts. Won't hear such spoiled Death Metal.

Pungent Stench - Masters Of Moral Servants Of Sin
This was the biggest disappointment for me. Their older works (antisocial rotten Death Metal with so many irony) were so outstanding and unique. Masters Of Moral is like every other normal Death Metal. No surpises. The heros are dead.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted March 27, 2003 05:16     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hypercube:
Nocturnus - Ethereal Tomb
Where is the spirit of their unique first two works? I had expected so much, but this.. no, too normal.

I agree that this was somewhat of a disappointment... I was quite eager to hear some new Nocturnus but it took a while to get into this album. true, the *magick* of The Key and Tresholds wasn't there anymore.
I don't listen to that one very much.

but Davis & McNenney were a pair of sick mother fucking talented players for sure!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 27, 2003 05:31     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:
Would you agree with :

KISS - The Elder ???

this was the biggest dissappointment of my ife inthat time....

Actually, if I listen to a KISS cd it's usually The Elder. I love that album, but I seem to love the albums the diehard fans hate, such as Pink Floyd "The Final Cut", which ranks second in my fav Floyd 's after Animals.

ruiner
VoivodFan
Member # 79

posted March 27, 2003 07:11     Profile for ruiner   Email ruiner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
... but I seem to love the albums the diehard fans hate, such as Pink Floyd "The Final Cut", which ranks second in my fav Floyd 's after Animals.

I totally love "The Final Cut", its a great album (although my favourite is "The Wall").

Some of you seem to have been disappointed with Queensryche's "Hear in the Now Frontier" but I always thought that their end came with the shitty "Empire" album. Maybe it was because "Mindcrime" was so damned brilliant, they could never top it.

izgoblin
VoivodFan
Member # 178

posted March 27, 2003 14:59     Profile for izgoblin   Email izgoblin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Judas Priest - Turbo
Celtic Frost - Cold Lake

Indeed, I'd agree 100%. TURBO was one of the first LPs I ever bought, and I couldn't believe I was so let down by these metal icons.

I bought COLD LAKE based on recommendations of two folk who told me that Celtic Frost were a seriously heavy thrash band. When I listened to the cassette, I thought I was the victim of a serious practical joke.

I'd also add NEGATRON, which made me almost burst out in tears when I opened up the package and saw a picture of some stranger where Snake should be.

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted March 27, 2003 15:52       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't buy:
Cro-mags-revenge
Suicidal Tendencies-free your soul & save my mind
Infectious grooves-Groove family cyco
Anthrax-White noise/Stomp
Exciter-The dark command
Raven-all for one
Savatage-streets

I bought all of these and sold them a few days later for a few pennies.I was glad just to get rid of them.

IP: Logged
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted March 27, 2003 17:26     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One word: LOAD

war4territory
VoivodFan
Member # 239

posted March 27, 2003 17:34     Profile for war4territory   Email war4territory     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Celtic Frost- cold lake is biggest also Kreator-outcast.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan