my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Metal Disappointment (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Metal Disappointment
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted March 23, 2003 03:36     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Which metal album, that you bought and that you thought it will be a killer, was the biggest disappointment in the last times?

For me:

Fu Manchu - California Crossing

No development, no cool riffs, no new ideas, no good old ideas - just boring....

|  IP: Logged
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 23, 2003 03:41     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Metallica - Metallica.

Do I need to say any more?

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted March 23, 2003 04:18     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
Metallica - Metallica.

Do I need to say any more?

Yes, also everything from "Metallica" onward

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 23, 2003 05:52     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with the Metallica comment, but I'll still buy the new cd...hoping for something better.

Pantera - everything after Vulgar Display of Power (which is God-Like) dissapointed me because of Phil's vocals.

Blue Oyster Cult - Curse Of The Hidden Mirrors i loved Heaven Forbid, it had the perfect combination of everything BOC was great at, but COTHM was weak.

Iron Maiden - No Prayer For The Dying, Fear Of The Dark, and everything with Blaze 'singing' (if you really want to call it singing). They redeemed themselves with Brave New World, and Rock In Rio is amazing.

Slayer - God Hates Us All
Testament - Demonic - didn't like the vocals, too much cookie monster singing

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 23, 2003 10:12     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Forbidden- Twisted into Form

Man, this album was so bad! I bought it right after it came out. One of these days I'm gonna pick up their first one which is THE Forbidden album to have.

Prong- Rude Awakeing

I really thought this material was lame. Which is surprising for the fact that Cleansing was so magnificent. Think Tommy was trying to get going in another direction but unfortunately IMO it came out like White Zombie B-sides.

Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted March 23, 2003 11:47     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Negatron
Nebulous Prowler
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 226

posted March 23, 2003 12:20     Profile for Nebulous Prowler   Email Nebulous Prowler     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had heard so many good things about the first Angel Witch album, so I bought it, and it's so `kin cheesy it's hilarious!
Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted March 23, 2003 14:54     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mez, I have to disagree with you about Twisted Into Form. That album slays as much now as when it came out!

Opeth - Deliverance is the latest disappointment I've bought. I had high hopes for it so I'm hoping Damnation will pick up the slack.

OmeterSkin Dub
VoivodFan
Member # 237

posted March 23, 2003 15:38     Profile for OmeterSkin Dub   Email OmeterSkin Dub     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Gloomp:
Mez, I have to disagree with you about Twisted Into Form. That album slays as much now as when it came out!

Word. I loved that album when it came out! Haven't heard it in a while though, so I might be off. Warcorpse, Cold Lake. Heh heh.

Let's see. For me, I'd have to say Shadows Fall - The Art of Balance. Heard so much good stuff about them, but this shit sounds pretty masterbatory to me. Holy Whammy-bar.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 23, 2003 16:46     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One word.

Turbo.

*bracing for the wrath of Mr. Helicopter*

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 23, 2003 18:35     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll second TURBlOw...what crap!!!

I'll have to second NEGATRON also, primarily because I hadn't heard anything about Voivod since the Outer Limits and then I saw Negatron listed as a Japanese import in an ad in Goldmine, so I figured it's a no-brainer!!! Quickly paid the $35.00 and when I received it and put it on, and heard the vocals...I was BUMMED It's grown on me since then but I have to be inb the right mood for it. I LOVE THE MUSIC, but the vocals weren't the Vod I loved.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted March 23, 2003 20:43     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Carcass-Heartwork

Are you fricken high?
You can't be serious!

I would definitely agree wiht you if you had said "Swansong" instead, but never "Heartwork" in a million years..that album simply fucking rules!!!

That and of course "Necroticism..."

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted March 23, 2003 21:32     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Judas Priest - Turbo I fuckin cried when that came out. I was so disappointed. I can listen to it now and enjoy it, but back then...

Celtic Frost - Cold Lake OMFG I almost shit myself when I saw the band photos. Then I listened to it and DID shit myself.

Metallica - Load the Black album wasn't very good, but who'd have thought this piece of shit would be their follow up?

Megadeth - Risk same as above but replace the Black Album with Youthanasia. Pure garbage.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 23, 2003 21:35     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Greg disagreed on one, I'll disagree on the another, Mez. Rude Awakening is actually an album I loved from the first listening, especially for the guitar work, which is stellar, and also for the killer CD-Rom track.
ruiner
VoivodFan
Member # 79

posted March 24, 2003 02:21     Profile for ruiner   Email ruiner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
[QB]Forbidden- Twisted into Form

Man, this album was so bad! I bought it right after it came out. One of these days I'm gonna pick up their first one which is THE Forbidden album to have.
[QB]

YEAH! You MUST get the first album, it is a fricken' classic!! That, to me, is one of the greatest thrash albums of all time.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 24, 2003 04:49     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Messhuggah - Nothing.
Can't believe how much hype there was surrounding this record. None more dull. At least the title summed it up pretty well.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 24, 2003 05:22     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Surprise surprise, Metallica's s/t. I was expecting a step forward from "Justice", maybe even two, and what did I get? A rock record. Not that bad, I like(d) it to some extent, but...thank God I found Voivod!
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted March 24, 2003 05:31     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Meathook Seed - Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth
I was expecting something closer to the industrial death metal of 'Embedded'...
What were they thinking?

I have to defend Rude Awakening too, I love this album since first play!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 24, 2003 08:10     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not really metal, but Beat by KC was a bit of a let down for me, but only because I was expecting Discipline II.

There really is only one album for this thread, and thats the black one. Its the day metal died.

Turbo?! Why you... I suggest you might like to take it out of your loft and give it another spin for it is a classic!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 24, 2003 08:56     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, sorry, Rude Awakening still blows.

Twisted Into Form, this I may need to check out again. Shit that was thirteen years ago, my how time flies.

VsGreg
VoivodFan
Member # 14

posted March 24, 2003 09:04     Profile for VsGreg   Email VsGreg     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For me

SOULFLY - primitive
cause it sucks

SEPULTURA - AGAINST
same here

AGNOSTIC FRONT - Riot riot upstart
cause it is basic punkcore

CYCO MIKO
cause this is not like Suicidal Tendencies
its pop punk shit

SOILWORK - a predator's portrait
I was waiting for another "The chainheart machine"

MINSITRY - evrything after psalm 69

PITCH SHIFTER - evrything after 'infotainment ?' cause it is popy punky techno shit

ROLLINS BAND - Weight
cause the end of silence was so great !!!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 24, 2003 09:08     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oh yeah, jesus! Filthpig! What shit.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 24, 2003 09:29     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I back EKH on the Turbo matter. It's a true metal (?) classic, no matter what you bashers say.

A real disappointment of mine (not that their previous albums were that great) was Soulfly's "3". Max claimed it was a real "return to roots", with a Sacred Reich cover song and all, but it was/is simply shit, from beginning to end. Bought it and sold it on the same day. What a crap.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 24, 2003 10:00     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Which Sacred Reich song did they cover?

I had 'The American Way' on the other day. No riffs to match the 'Deathsquad' intro, but still a classic.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted March 24, 2003 10:03     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Paradise Lost - Host
Metallica - s/t
Celtic Frost - Cold Lake
Anthrax - State of Euphoria
Entombed - Clandestine
Iron Maiden - No Prayer for the dying

...to name a few.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan