my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Diversions (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4

Author Topic: Diversions
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 21, 2003 22:48     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here, I will be posting 2-3 unusual, rare, and/or obscure MP3's per month for your downloading pleasure.
I will be selecting tracks which I feel that fans of Voivod can appreciate,
and hopefully that you have never heard before.

This first is a Strange and Cosmic little adventure,
narrated by the smallest of all things...

Klaatu - Little Neutrino
(file has since been removed)

Put this one through some quality headphones for sure.

Hope you all enjoy(ed) it.

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 22, 2003 08:53     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey thanks Tango! Very cool of you to do this. DL'ing now....
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 22, 2003 10:18     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DUDE, WHERE'S MY DOOBIE???? Hahaha, nice song Tango.

Do you take requests? If so,
how about some Van der Graf Generator? I've always wanted to hear what they sound like.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 22, 2003 11:23     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
DUDE, WHERE'S MY DOOBIE???? Hahaha, nice song Tango.

Do you take requests? If so,
how about some Van der Graf Generator? I've always wanted to hear what they sound like.

HAHA!! funny, I was actually going to suggest the "doobie" thing.

Requests? Absolutely.
I have heard some VdGG here and there, but I am not an expert.
Maybe someone can suggest a track?
Otherwise, I am on the hunt for a good one.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted March 22, 2003 11:28     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:

I have heard some VdGG here and there, but I am not an expert.
Maybe someone can suggest a track?
Otherwise, I am on the hunt for a good one.

'Lemmings', 'Scorched Earth' and 'The Sleepwalkers' are some very cool tunes.

space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted March 22, 2003 11:30     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The two Van Der Graaf Generator tracks i've heard are : Door and Ship of Fools.

Both were pretty good I thought.

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted March 22, 2003 11:34     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Best Reggae Song: "Pass the doobie round the left hand side."
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 22, 2003 16:28     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, here are 2 more: (both are extremely rare)

Ever heard 'Prog/ Goth/ Spook-Core'?

Mighty Sphincter - Impentigo

Here is a track from one of the original Dark Ambient pioneers:

Nightmare Lodge - Lovers ~ Two Bodies in a Space Version

And here is a Van der Graaf site which has some sound samples from founder Peter Hammill:
http://www.gaudela.net/vdgg/

and one with some VdGG Live tracks:
http://www.vandergraafgenerator.co.uk/

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 24, 2003 21:12     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, I am adding another blast of intensity and mayhem:

One of the most consistently superior bands of the last two decades has been NoMeansNo;
with their brutal hybrid of hardcore and technical/ jazz/ progressive insanity.

Here is an instrumental which, with a bit of imagination,
could easily be mistaken for a long-lost Blacky/ Devo side project:

NoMeansNo - Obsessed

Also, I need to know if anyone is even using this thread.
Please, if you D/L any of these songs, leave a message.
Otherwise, this thing will just get buried, and I will have to
assume it is a wasted effort.

Thanks.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 24, 2003 21:22     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hope it doesn't man, I'm loving this. Much Thanks!!!
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 25, 2003 04:06     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is a great idea, Tangento! I'm always ready to hear sth "non-standard", so thanks for yer efforts!
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted March 25, 2003 05:17     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey thanks Tangento! it's appreciated.
I'll have a look for that old NoMeansNo CD (live&cuddly I think) and give it another chance...
Any albums to recommend?

About VdGG, I don't know I just find it boring, uninteresting. Compare with Can, Soft Machine or Amon Duul II !

And now something completely different:
Do you know X-Legged Sally ? http://www.reference.be/xls/xls.html
Kind of Mr Bungle but jazzier, with Zappa influences.
Their '93 album was produced by Bill Laswell and it's a blast; actually all albums are good. Pierre Vervloesem (gtr.) released great stuff too.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted March 25, 2003 06:58     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tnx, man! I'm always interested in hearing new, unusual and exciting music.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 25, 2003 07:18     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cheers Tangento. I'll download these later today. Looking forward to hearing it. I'm also into checking out some VDGG if anyone has any.
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted March 25, 2003 07:37     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A BIG Thank you, Tangento!

NoMeansNo is my second love beside Voivod. I have all albums, but this instrumental is new for me. So you can imagine, how you made my day.

If you like, Neutrino, here is some NoMeansNo info:

The two brothers Rob (bass, guitar, vocals)and John Wright (drumms) started playing music 1979.

Their first album, called MAMA, sounds proggy, jazzy and punky. It's cool music, but they haven't found their unique style on this album. So I won't recommend it for the beginning.

SEX MAD/YOU KILL ME is a hard one. Very noisy and punky. Obssesed (with singing) is from that album. Some great songs are on it: Body Bag, Long Days (for those who love bass), Metronome.

SMALL PARTS/THE DAY EVERYTHING BECAME NOTHING is one of NoMeansNo's best. Long songs, strange composed, never boring and with so dark lyrics, that you wanna cry. Hits like Brother Rat/What Slayde Says , Real Love, Victory are a must for every lover of hard, strange and sad/ironic music. Absolut live killers too.

WRONG is the album NoMeansNo selled the most. Very powerfull and catchy, every song a killer. A lot of all time favorites. Fantastic bass work , drumming, lyrics. If you're interested in the older works from NoMeansNo (WRONG is from 1989) buy this album. It's the perfect mixture of their musically abilities.

That's it for now. Later more, I have to leave the internet...

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted March 25, 2003 08:13     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Mighty Sphincter? damn! I never heard them but i did like Blood Feast's cover of Hitler Painted Roses, on the Chopping Block Blues album, years ago.
Max1334
VoivodFan
Member # 202

posted March 25, 2003 09:05     Profile for Max1334   Email Max1334     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tangento Rules
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 25, 2003 10:06     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just got sent an mp3 of Death covering God of Thunder that I hadn't heard before. Pretty cool. If anyone hasn't heard it or wants it, you'll find it HERE
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted March 25, 2003 10:44     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yah that was on both the japanese edition of the HUMAN album, and on the At Death's Door 2 compilation.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 25, 2003 11:05     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah - that's why I hadn't heard it before. Knew it was the human line up, which is why I wanted to hear it.
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted March 25, 2003 12:04     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...and back again.

"0+2=1" is as good as a NoMeansNo album should be. It's to recommend to all Voivod fans, who loves Blacky's playing on NothingFace and the production of NothingFace (light guitar). With "Now" 0+2=1 got an outstanding live hit.

WHY DO THEY CALL ME MR. HAPPY? This concept album contains one of the most intense NoMeansNo experiences. Gloomy and strong. One of my personal favs.

THE WORLDHOOD OF THE WORLD (AS SUCH) is more punk than other NoMeansNo album. Maybe an easy entry for new listeners. After the first hearing I was so disappointed, because of the happy punk moments, that I nearly had thrown the CD out of the window. But then it grows.

DANCE OF THE HEADLESS BOURGEOISIE is the best album of the last years (1998). It got all the different styles NoMeansNo are known for. Perfect playing, lyrics, production. In my opinion THE album to start with NoMeansNo.

ONE, the last album, is very very sinister. Not easy to listen.

LIVE + CUDDLY (1991) is a perfect live album, a mix of the best older songs. The sound is very good, the songs are played hard. If you like live music on CD, good choice.

MR. WRIGHT & MR. WRONG is collection of never released songs and alternative versions (1979 till 1994). Just for Die Hardies.

THE SKY IS FALLING, AND I WANT MY MOMMY, NoMeansNo playing together with Jello Biafra.

That's it plus some EPs.

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted March 25, 2003 12:57     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hypercube:
THE SKY IS FALLING, AND I WANT MY MOMMY

Oh yeah I love this album!!
I found the Live + Cuddly CD, mmh yes it's better than I thought.
Thanks for the details 'cube!

Funny, I bought those 2 CD's in Berlin-Prenzl'berg a few years ago
How's the scene in Berlin nowadays? does the Köpi 137 still exist?

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted March 27, 2003 03:56     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neutrino:

How's the scene in Berlin nowadays? does the Köpi 137 still exist?

Sorry, but I don't know. For some years I could have answer you this question. Today this forum and my CD player is the only scene I know.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 27, 2003 19:31     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hyper!
Great work on the NoMeansNo breakdowns.
My favorite 2 from 'THE WORLDHOOD OF THE WORLD (AS SUCH)' are:
'Victim's Choice' and 'I've Got a Gun'.
Awesome stuff.
Maybe I will get to those, too.

To the rest: thanks, and I am glad this is enjoyable for you.

On a side note, I give full credit (or blame ) to Neutrino
for inspiring all of this with his username.

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted March 28, 2003 14:49     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hehe - BTW Tangento, thank you for that rare Old Lady Drivers tune on your site [ http://www.tangento.net/OLD.html ] - Rape, Carve, Smoke !!!
(I got it a long time ago but hey it's a good diversion too)

Hypercube - it's a kind of abandoned factory squatted by punks, a great place for Grind/Crust concerts

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan