my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » And what about Hydra,Sirrah,PolluxandGemma.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: And what about Hydra,Sirrah,PolluxandGemma.
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 19, 2003 01:26     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just installed this new Astronomy app,Called Starry Night Pro v4.0 it is a really good app,and after playing around,i came across some interesting stuff. Ive always wondered what those words ment in,Jack Luminous. mabye i shoulda payed more attention in school but i found that these are all 'fixed' Stars in the constellation "Hydra" and all of the stars in that area have a common brightness,except one.

"HYDRA" A constellation in the equatorial region of the southern sky near Cancer, Libra, and Centaurus.

"SIRRAH" The star Sirrah (Scientific Name Alpha Andromedae).

"POLLUX" A bright star in the constellation Gemini.

"GEMMA" Relatively bright star with a magnitude of 2.

"DIADEM" Fixed star Constellation Alpha Coma Berenices.

"BELLATRIX" The 22nd brightest star in the sky.

"MIRACH" Andromeda's 3rd brightest star (Beta Andromedae)

"IZAR" A binary star lying 10° northeast of Arcturus.

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 19, 2003 06:03     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool, info!!!

I thought they were somee kind of mythological gods, or warriors...which is still possible since star's names also have other origins.

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 19, 2003 10:31     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Uh, i thought they were girls.
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 19, 2003 12:23     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd looked up a few of the names years ago learned about them. How rare is it that you can actually learn new things from listening to a band?
royvis
VoivodFan
Member # 102

posted March 23, 2003 16:07     Profile for royvis   Email royvis     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For anyone interested in astronomy this is one of the best sites around:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

Excellent NASA photos of deep space, and simplified explanations of dense astrophysics.

Check out March 21st for Pollux's relative position in the sky (as seen from Ontario).

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan