my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » new cd sales first week

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: new cd sales first week
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted March 12, 2003 14:49       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VOIVOD's self-titled effort — the group's first to feature former METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted — sold 3,030 copies in its first week, according to Nielsen Soundscan
IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 12, 2003 15:33     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That number does not sound too earth-shattering.

So I guess we need to put this into perspective and compare to previous Voivod releases?

Numbers, anyone?

|  IP: Logged
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 12, 2003 15:56     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In all honesty, that does not suprise me much. Think about how many Voivod fans you know personally, aside from anyone on the boards. 3,000 in the first week of release is pretty good for a band who's not been involved in mainstream media blitz, rarely ever on the radio or tv, and is admittedly a tough listen for even some hard rock fans.

That number represents Voivod's rabid, hardcore audience. Keep in mind that many fringe outlets carrying this release may not regularly report to soundscan. In addition, like it or not, downloading is hurting CD sales, and bands on Voivod's level will be the most affected.

However, watch how the sales numbers will jump when the touring starts. New fans will be prompted to get the CD and dormant fans of years past may be sparked to get it as well. In fact, with the high profile tours they are currently scheduled for, I'd be willing to be you're gonna see this record do really well and their back catalog sales will likely get a boost too.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted March 12, 2003 16:07     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's not a bad number considering most rock radio stations are probably not playing the single, most video stations aren't either and most of the hype surrounding the new record has been on the internet. The media blitz Jasonic has undertaken has been mostly print and internet media.
Nothingface is right, as soon as the tours begin, the sales will increase. Plus, the album isn't available in a lot of regions yet (April sometime for Canada).
Patience, people.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan