my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Voivod, burnig up the charts!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Voivod, burnig up the charts!
FantasticPlanet
VoivodFan
Member # 169

posted March 12, 2003 10:59     Profile for FantasticPlanet   Email FantasticPlanet     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess they only sold 3,000 copies the first week. Maybe they will drum up some more intrest with a tour coming up? My over all opinion of the new record isn't that good, I don't like it all that much. I want to like it but I don't think it's that good.
 |  IP: Logged
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 12, 2003 11:03     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As Jasonic says, it grows on you. Give it time and effort.

As I candidly admitted to KK yesterday, AR is finally growing on me. This one hasn't taken nearly so long!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted March 12, 2003 11:17     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And considering AR was released in 1991 - it's only taken 12 years for it to grow on you! (I'm so good at math).

EK, you either have the dryest wit on this forum or you have the dryest wit on this forum.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 12, 2003 11:30     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Once the general populace finds out that Eminem is the 'mysterious voice' that you hear in the secret track tacked on the end of 'We Carry On', sales should sharply increase.
space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted March 12, 2003 13:33     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
its hard to tear up the charts when you can't find the album on shelves anywhere. Piggy was right, the same group of fans buy all the Voivod albums. I look at success as being able to make quality music for 20 years, not how much profit and money gain is involved.
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 12, 2003 16:09     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by space monger:
I look at success as being able to make quality music for 20 years, not how much profit and money gain is involved.

How True! The success of an artist should be measured in their ability to create something from nothing. Too often, we measure artists financially instead.

Greater artist: Voivod or NSync?

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted March 12, 2003 16:18     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
Greater artist: Voivod or NSync?

That's like comparing apples and spiders.

korgull666
VoivodFan
Member # 233

posted March 12, 2003 17:16     Profile for korgull666   Email korgull666     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this should have been the record to follow Nothingface. to me, it's right in that same format. trademark Voivod time changes and good, heavy bass playing. no disrespect to Eric Forrest but he was not a great bass player. I'm addicted to the new record and can't wait for the tour. playing on Ozzfest could be huge for Voivod. many bands who have started on the 2nd stage have gone on to become giants. Slipknot, Disturbed, Mudvayne........
FantasticPlanet
VoivodFan
Member # 169

posted March 12, 2003 17:45     Profile for FantasticPlanet   Email FantasticPlanet     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by korgull666:
this should have been the record to follow Nothingface. to me, it's right in that same format. trademark Voivod time changes and good, heavy bass playing. no disrespect to Eric Forrest but he was not a great bass player. I'm addicted to the new record and can't wait for the tour. playing on Ozzfest could be huge for Voivod. many bands who have started on the 2nd stage have gone on to become giants. Slipknot, Disturbed, Mudvayne........

I don't hear Nothigface on this record at all?

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted March 12, 2003 17:51     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
People don't know they exist, apparently.
Almost every metal head I bump into has never heard of them out hear. In my hometown of Detroit, however the Northerners seem to know them.Judging by the crowd size at The Outer Limits concert- they hadn't reached their audience.Perhaps after the Ozzy tour?
Probably not. They went on tour with Rush and Soundgarden on seperate occasions and still found them to be an acquired taste.
Its good to have something special kept secret....
"My precious, my precious, heh heh"

VsGreg
VoivodFan
Member # 14

posted March 13, 2003 03:40     Profile for VsGreg   Email VsGreg     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FantasticPlanet:
I don't hear Nothigface on this record at all?

Listen to the cd again then !
Some songs are really in the vein of "Nothingface" ("les cigares Volants", "I don't wanna wake up", "The multiverse"...)

I finally agree with a lot of people, the new release is really great !!

C'est de la balle comme on dit en France

Yoko Ono
VoivodFan
Member # 235

posted March 13, 2003 11:12     Profile for Yoko Ono   Email Yoko Ono     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Touring will definitely help with sales, especially from people who hear Piggy play live for the first the time.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 13, 2003 15:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It sounds like the follow up to The Outer Limits...which makes sense!!!

I love the cd now, after several listens...except for Invisible Planet, which I can't get past the stupid lyrics.

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted March 13, 2003 16:03     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hear Nothingface in the chorus of "Reactor" and to me all of "Invisible Planet" is very Nothingface, as well as some other parts of the album. Let's keep our fingers crossed for the next one! BTW, does anyone hear a lot of "Nighttime" era Killing Joke on this album, some of the melodic parts? Overall I think this is one of Voivod's best and most listenable, yet challenging and interesting records out there, a good progression in their career. Snake has a lot of great vocal parts too, drums and guitar great as always, and impressed with Jason's bass playing...yeah.
Cockroach
VoivodFan
Member # 115

posted March 14, 2003 05:27     Profile for Cockroach   Email Cockroach     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
[b] ...oops, forget it, my mistake, I had the CD in my CD player upsidedown. I guess both sides of the new CD are good.

LooooooL

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted March 14, 2003 05:34     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
It sounds like the follow up to The Outer Limits...which makes sense!!!

I love the cd now, after several listens...except for Invisible Planet, which I can't get past the stupid lyrics.

I'd better see it as the missing link between Nothingface and Outer Limits, since it's obviously heavier thant the latter...

...and Invisible Planet is one of the best ever, lyrics are just fine with me!

"I'm so dirty plants grow on me"... lol!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 14, 2003 06:03     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"I'm so dirty plants grow on me"... lol!
That's one of the lines that makes me cringe, along with I need a coffee or maybe a beer and the vocal delivery of the words seems forced. But that's the only thing I can complain about.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan