my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » For Hex

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For Hex
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 11, 2003 19:26     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A short while ago I posted (somewhat off-topic) remarks regarding the situation in Israel and the occupied territories. My concern was, and remains, US media coverage of the 'Palestinian Question', namely whether or not people in the US are being fully informed of the big picture or just one side of it.

On reflection my comments were a little ignorant to say the least, as well as hypocritical. We in England have had 30 years of Government propaganda and media control over the situation in Northern Ireland, so much so that it's quite possible that the average American knows more about both sides of this arguement than anyone living in the UK. Now it seems to be sorted out, negotiations are taking place and an IRA ceasefire is in effect, but I still haven't got a clue what the fucking hell it's all about!

This being the case, it's a little rich of me to take the moral high ground over Israeli or American people. Yet, I still get the feeling none of us are being told the whole truth. Man! Are we living in a fucked up time or what?

soz Hex, and respecting your dignified response,
Mike Hamer
aka EKH

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 12, 2003 00:17     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to say that I really respect somebody who can make a comment like that. Your insight there was pretty impressive.

I also believe that we rarely get an objective view of what is actually going on. I generally disregard the mainstream news networks and instead opt for documentary groups such as Frontline. They put out a show in the US here once a week. They always seem to really explore each story or issue in the most detailed manner possible. Even though its made by a bunch of hardline leftists its still fairly objective in the search for the truth. I'm not sure if there are Euro alternatives to this. It was on a Frontline (Gunning for Sadaam)that I first developed a viewpoint on the coming war. They had b&w footage in the Iraqi Parliment(?)showing Sadaam taking over. With cigar in hand, he picks up a list of names and starts calling them out one by one. The names on this list are his political enemies(i.e. the voices of dissent). Sadaam's henchmen then start going around and pulling these people out of their chairs and pulling them out into the street where they are shot on spot. You can clearly hear their screams as they are dragged out to their deaths. That is the most chilling thing I've ever seen. EVER. There was no way that could be slanted or spun.(this is of course why I get pissed off about people protecting this monster and attacking the US for wanting to remove him-sorry, had to throw that in).
Would I have ever seen that footage on the nightly news with Dan Rather? Hell no. CNN, Course not.

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted March 12, 2003 15:19       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whatever the government says is using wrong.Just remember that,and dont think that whatever the U.S. government does is also what the U.S. people want.It's usually not the case.
As far as Ireland,why doesnt the British let the Catholic Irish run Ireland however they want and get the Protestant British out?They seem to have been ther first. I am Protestant and i believe the Catholic are right in this situation.
I dont have all the answers,all the information i have is from several public access shows but from what i understand,the Irish should get Ireland and the British should leave.I dont think either side is right for killing,especially religious groups who believe killing is wrong.(unless of course it fits there purpose)
I'm also not saying the U.S. is any better,far from it.The government here is alway going were they dont belong and giving this country a black eye.Case in point this wonderful government of our is reponsible for putting that idiot Saddam in charge,then he went on his own and now the U.S. wants him died.The U.S. government needs to stay in the U.S. and dont go anywhere out of the country unless we are asked to by another country.

IP: Logged
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 12, 2003 16:07     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm impressed with anyone who admits to being wrong. Cheers to EKH - I'd buy you a pint of (insert name of favorite ale/lager/stout here) if I was anywhere near the UK.

As for buying into media propaganda - man, it's getting tough to know what to believe. I always get a good laugh out of anyone who decries a report broadcast on CNN and then provides a link to a story supporting their own view from a 'news' site online (If I read it online, it MUST be true!). Which do you believe? It's not hard to understand why society is growing more and more restless and angry. Objective journalism seems to have become extinct these days.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan