my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The hostage Umlaut = True Metal

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The hostage Umlaut = True Metal
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 11, 2003 05:07     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn. I just spent a a fruitless 5 mins trying to update my name with umlauts...

Which segues neatly to my question:

What is this odd relationship metal has with the umlaut? I am sure I've seen them plastered liberally and incorrectly over countless bands monikers over the years.
'Voivod' requires one thanks to the origin of the word, but 'Motley Crue'????
I know 'the crue' appear to be collectively the stupidest group of men ever to have assembled together in a room, but does that really excuse such bad typography?

Is there anyone German here that can tell me how their name is really pronounced phonetically, given the spelling?

Don't Motorhead also have a hostage umlaut?

What next? Will everyone start spelling 'c' words with a 'k', or using phone text message style writing.

|  IP: Logged
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 11, 2003 05:18     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Typonazi!
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 11, 2003 05:25     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Typonazi!

Hmm. Multiversed gag.

Seriously though! Why?

Why umlauts? Why not tildes or accents?

C'mon I'm trying to distract people from the
'whose got the bestest vv site' arguments, they seemed to be nearing meltdown once more.

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 11, 2003 05:40     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, I genuinely like the trend.
(I happily admit to loathing Motley Crue.)
I just don't understand it as a convention.
(if it is one?).
There's one name on this forum - and I apologise in advance for this - that I can't help but read as "vënvömümïnön", or summat...

As I say, I am sorry, but to me it looks as exotic as cyrillic or Japanese Kanjii. Is it a real word - or a metal word.

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 11, 2003 05:42     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh Hatross, you've changed your reply.

Now my previous reply makes even less sense than my usual query or response.
Which is no small feat.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 11, 2003 05:46     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I see where your comming from,Im just alittle quick to jump the gun thats all.i tryed to catch it before i just returned a big mess."long live the thread"
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 11, 2003 05:53     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Long live the umlaut!
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 11, 2003 06:59     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BumEggs:
There's one name on this forum - and I apologise in advance for this - that I can't help but read as "vënvömümïnön", or summat...

As I say, I am sorry, but to me it looks as exotic as cyrillic or Japanese Kanjii. Is it a real word - or a metal word.

ROTFL!!! I nearly fucking ruptured my lungs after reading that

Trust me my British comrades, it's a real name from a real book written in a real language, Finnish that is! (see the "name calling" thread).

Ä (pronounced like the 'a' in "mad") and Ö (very close to the vocal part in "bird") are the only letters in my mother tongue that take umlauts. They are used as often as any other vocals, so for us there's nothing special about them .

I remember another group name that has umlauts: Lääz Rockit. I guess the umlauts were there just for gaining attention on the record shelves.

PS.
----------
"Mäyrä käpälöi mätiä nieriöitä"

"A badger pawed some rotten charrs"
-----------

I know, that makes no sense. But I got to write many umlauts!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted March 11, 2003 09:03     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
French writer Boris Vian wrote a book called "L'Arrache-coeur" in which he made a very funny use of the umlaut, putting them in ridiculous places in the caracter's names.

But take any stupid word, put some umlauts in it, and you have yourself a METAL NAME for your band!

Examples: Pötätö, Cömpüter, Träsh Cän, etc.

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 11, 2003 09:18     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldoror:

But take any stupid word, put some umlauts in it, and you have yourself a METAL NAME for your band! .

I suspect that one sentence neatly sums up the whole careers of certain bands...

If not umlauts, then some vaguely aggressive sounding word or the title of an old Priest track. Pop a few spikes on the logo, stick it on a lurid and technically horrible piece of artwork and there's an entire genre!

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted March 11, 2003 14:35     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ümlauts are KÖÖL!!!

Yours sincerely,
Ängëlrät

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 11, 2003 15:25     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The 'O' with an Umlaut has a sound like 'OI', I think, and the U is stressed to make an even more pronounced 'OOOOH' sound. I think.

I liked the Spinal Tap Umlaut, on the N.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 11, 2003 17:02     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's the dumbest question ever posed on this site: What are the keystrokes for such fun?
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 12, 2003 04:54     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks Hëx,
i cöüld almöst faint with ëxcitëmënt nöw that I'm clöser tö being a true ëuröpëan.

That was quite a lot of work. You can tell quite easily that a Britain or American devised the system for doing that.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 12, 2003 05:31     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinen:
ROTFL!!! I nearly fucking ruptured my lungs after reading that

Trust me my British comrades, it's a real name from a real book written in a real language, Finnish that is! (see the "name calling" thread).

Ä (pronounced like the 'a' in "mad") and Ö (very close to the vocal part in "bird") are the only letters in my mother tongue that take umlauts. They are used as often as any other vocals, so for us there's nothing special about them .

I remember another group name that has umlauts: Lääz Rockit. I guess the umlauts were there just for gaining attention on the record shelves.

PS.
----------
"Mäyrä käpälöi mätiä nieriöitä"

"A badger pawed some rotten charrs"
-----------

I know, that makes no sense. But I got to write many umlauts!

HAHA funny topic. Laaz Rockit (my keyboard don't know how to make oumlets) were San Fran Bay area thrashers, like Vio-Lence, Testament, Exodus, Death Angel, D.R.I. (oh wait, they were hardcore!). All it is is a portable rocket launcher, like a bazooka.
I just call it "those dots" LOL!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan