my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » favorites / least favorites on the new album? (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: favorites / least favorites on the new album?
royvis
VoivodFan
Member # 102

posted March 11, 2003 17:12     Profile for royvis   Email royvis     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My favorite song on the album is Divine Sun. In fact it ranks as one of Voivod's best songs ever, in my opinion.

I can't wait to hear these songs live. Its gonna sound even better live.

Also, it seems to me that this album shares a lot of similarities with "Confrontation" & "Day by Day" era Voivod.

If the mix was a bit more raw, and Eric was singing, it could be viewed as the next logical step after Phobos. Perhaps the Phobos demos, should they ever Rise, will confirm this. Voivod has a history of changing styles...

|  IP: Logged
Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted March 11, 2003 19:34     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This album is great. Strange and Ironic is probably a tune you won't see in concert, but it still has something good in it.

The rest is totally cool, but has real bite in its grooves.

The thing is albums like the last three Snake Voivods are all likable after the first listen. I heard this once and said, "wow, what a great album."

With Hatross, I was like Hmmm. Interesting.
Took me a while to like Experiment.

War and Pain was like totally raw and awesome. (fer sure)

This is the matured band, I feel. I'm getting old too!

I wonder. Does anyone think the Eric Forrest stuff is better than this new one?

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 11, 2003 20:45     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This could be a lengthy debate. Personally, I don't care for the Eric era material. "Voivod" at its worst is still better than the last two at their best.

Let the flaming of nothingface begin.

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted March 12, 2003 00:42     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree in the fact that the second half of the album is the best.

Favorites:

Nª1 (absolutely)
DIVINE SUN (It should be called divine song!)chemically pure Voivod to my ears: the chorus is just amazing with snake sounding as psychomaniac as in his best times, and the bass line reminds me a lot of classic Voivod.
The whole song has this "old spiderman cartoon" vibe so typical in voivod (I love that vibe)

REACTOR

INVISIBLE PLANET

STRANGE AND IRONIC

all of them brilliant songs that make me feel younger

Least favorites:

REAL AGAIN?

I have to say that when I listened to the three song promo I was not very happy with "Gasmask..." neither with "we carry on", but into the context of the whole album they kind of make sense and I really dig them now (just like I love "fix my heart")

One thing I miss: PIGGY's GUITAR SOLOS
WHY ISN'T HE PLAYING MORE SOLOS?????????

Anyway a GREAT-GREAT album, better for me than the stuff they made in the forrest-era (which I still like a lot)

I'M A PROUD AND HAPPY VOIVOD FAN!!!
CHEERS

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 12, 2003 08:12     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You are dead-on regarding Piggy solos. I wish he had cut loose more so than he did on this album.
Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted March 12, 2003 19:59     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ya' know, I noticed that on the surface the flying cigars song appears to be about UFO's, - but upon closer inspection.......

It would appear that our man Snake is making a tongue in cheek comment about flaring up a big fat hog J.

Anyone else get that impression?

HatrossRig
VoivodFan
Member # 80

posted March 12, 2003 20:29     Profile for HatrossRig   Email HatrossRig     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, i didnt like the album at first that much...but yeah like jasonic said, let it grow on you...and it did. i like every song...every song has some totally catchy part in it that i love to wait for, and when it hits, i get goosebumps...that whole album rocks!
farside
VoivodFan
Member # 193

posted March 12, 2003 22:34     Profile for farside   Email farside     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've come around to ALMOST the entire album now. The only songs I'm not into are Les Cigars Volants, Real Again? and We Carry On ....why in gods name is that the single?? There are so many better songs on the album.

Is Flots an imposter or the real deal? what do you think? ...I feel kind of weird if I got bitched out by Jason. Hmmmm... "strange and ironic"

Underbrain
VoivodFan
Member # 183

posted March 13, 2003 02:21     Profile for Underbrain   Email Underbrain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been listening to "Voivod" quite a bit the past month or so (i couldn't wait so i downloaded it)

So i scored the disc this weekend at Amoeba in San Francisco and popped in the cd player for the long drive south back to home in Los Angeles. I kinda didn't like it... all the ripping tunes are on the last 1/2 of the disc. I really dig the directness of the songs, the mature and open ended lyrics and the production is pretty fantastic.

I the mp3s in a randomly generated playlist in my mp3 player and have gotten used to this 'missing sequence' song order. I think the flow of the songs could be better... but i still dig the tunes.

I'm am more excited for the live shows coming up... Like him or not, Newstead is a thunderous bass player... i was psyched when Metallica snached him from Flotsam and as a big Burton fan, i was delighted when i first saw him with the Metallica back in NY about 5 gigs into his stint after Cliff passed away.

So with that being said, i yanked out the vinyl tonight and dropped on Killing Technology... haven't listened to that in quite a bit (like 10 years or more... one of the few i haven't upgraded to cd)

Damn straight that KT is absolutely ripping, its gonzo insane straight up from the Montreal Space Ship Voivo-hizzy... i can see why folks wouldn't like the new record if they're listening to that brilliant.

I'm rambling... i'll go back to my hypercube now.

Now if my exgirlfriend didn't throw out my Iron Gang newsletters and the mess of audio tapes i ordered from them back in the day...

Ouch!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 13, 2003 05:13     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
'Cigars' is my favourite song on the album right now. Strangely I seem to be in a minority.

Fuck me though, do I love this album or what?!

HatrossRig
VoivodFan
Member # 80

posted March 13, 2003 05:17     Profile for HatrossRig   Email HatrossRig     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
me too i think cigars is my favorite...
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 13, 2003 05:26     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It sounds transplaced from 'TOL'.
Which is a excellent thing to sound like.

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted March 13, 2003 11:08     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
most favourites:
Divine Sun, Invisible Planet, I don't wanna wake up, Strange and Ironic, the Multiverse, Les Cigares Volants, Blame Us ... and all the other tracks except
least favourite: We Carry On - well it isn't really bad, just a bit too catchy; and since it says this is NOT Voivod's final chapter that's great.
Most new listeners say they dig only this one, so perhaps it was the best choice for the (first) single...
Up the Cigars !

izgoblin
VoivodFan
Member # 178

posted March 14, 2003 15:18     Profile for izgoblin   Email izgoblin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FAVORITES:

Strange and Ironic
Rebel Robot

I don't think I can accurately choose least favorites because for me, the album is pretty consistently good.

It did take a couple of listens before I really got into it, but I'm into it. To me, it sounds much like THE OUTER LIMITS if compared to other Voivod albums. I'm surprised that many people here like it. I'm just afraid that the album still won't sell very well - "We Carry On" is not the best choice for a single, and even "Rebel Robot" which would be a better choice is still not going to fit in with what is popular these days. Something as heavy as NEGATRON with Snake's melodic vocals might have gone over better IMO.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 14, 2003 15:33     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blame Us is still one of my favourite songs, but I like every song, some more than others of course. It's a great album!
OmeterSkin Dub
VoivodFan
Member # 237

posted March 14, 2003 16:44     Profile for OmeterSkin Dub   Email OmeterSkin Dub     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really like the whole album with the exception of these songs which I LOVE:

- Facing Up
- Rebel Robot
- Divine Sun
- Invisible Planet

and these songs which I sadly don't like much at all:

- Les Cigares Volants
- We Carry On

They're both fun songs I guess, but We Carry On, seems a bit hokey. Seems like every metal band that's made a comeback lately (Destruction and Kreator come to mind) have the obligatory, "Hey we're back, and we're here to rock!" song. But then again, I kinda like Real Again?, which covers sorta similar territory.

Some of the stuff on The Outer Limits took years to sink in for me, so I'm not giving up on those two tracks on this one just yet.

Puresound
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 252

posted March 20, 2003 21:21     Profile for Puresound   Email Puresound     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are not any weak moments on the album for me musically. Snake's voice is so strong on the record. He is all the vocalist Eric Forest could never be. The musiciamship is tight and all the songs copliment each other.

I wish the mix was a brighter.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted March 21, 2003 08:09     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Welcome aboard, Puresound!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan