my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » favorites / least favorites on the new album? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: favorites / least favorites on the new album?
farside
VoivodFan
Member # 193

posted March 10, 2003 22:25     Profile for farside   Email farside     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
List what songs you like/dont like on the new record. I'm intrested in knowing what Blacky thinks of it, or if he's even heard t yet.

FAVORITES: (not in order)
GASMASK REVIVAL (I like it more now that the lyrics make sense)

FACING UP (maybe my favorite new one)

THE MULTIVERSE (This should be the single, not the lackluster "we carry on")

REACTOR (flashes of vintage VOIVOD, lyrically and musically ...now if only the vocals weren't so damn loud)

DIVINE SUN (I love the way this song flows)

LEAST FAVORIETS:
LES CIGARES VOLANTS (possibly the worst lyrics I've ever read, did Newstead write this gem? "flying cigars, the coolest name for UFO's" come one guys, you can do better than that. Any real producer wouldn't have let this one get past the idea stage)

REAL AGAIN? (this song just kind of plods along and doesnt really go anywhere, overall pretty boring ...the kind of song that made Angel Rat cool, but feels out of place with the ultra clean production)

--------------------------------------------

Overall the album seems to have picked up where Outer Limits left off (my least favorite album.)I haven't been able to get past the obviouslly up front vocal mix, and I feel that the music suffers because of it.
There are some great songs in here, but overall I'm disapointed with the album. Theres a bit too much "mid tempo" going on and it all seems to blend toghether after a while.

I'm hoping this album grows on me with time ...it took 10 years for me to decide I loved Angel Rat.

|  IP: Logged
Flots
VoivodFan
Member # 228

posted March 10, 2003 22:55     Profile for Flots   Email Flots     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well then, come back in ten years when your opinion might mean something.

This album rocks. Period.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted March 10, 2003 22:57     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Come back? But you just got here too Flots.

I agree about the vocals Farside, but didn't I read your post somewhere else, already? I'm getting some crazy deja vu here...

farside
VoivodFan
Member # 193

posted March 10, 2003 23:11     Profile for farside   Email farside     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
eh, I've been complaining about the vocals for a while now. Believe me, I really WANT to like this album ...and it's already growing on me. I just decided that I like "invisible planet"

No need for bashing, the thing that I like most about this site as opposed to other "offical" sites is that theres not the unconditional love of all things Voivod. Great bands ocasionally release inferior product too.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 11, 2003 00:05     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by farside:
LEAST FAVORITES:
LES CIGARES VOLANTS (possibly the worst lyrics I've ever read, did Newstead write this gem? "flying cigars, the coolest name for UFO's" come one guys, you can do better than that.

I've been feeling the same way about this song. It seems forced, and the word "coolest" just doesn't sound right in a Voivod song.

However, I have to say that the album as a whole has swelled from "pretty good" to "fucking great" in my mind over the weekend, when I finally got to give it many listens without interruption. I find my mind bursting into riffs and lyrics at work without provocation.

Deja vu? Yeah, definitely. "Angel Rat" caught me offguard too, as I was expecting "Nothingface II". Once I let the album express its own identity, it grew on me unendingly. Once I put my expectations from "Voivod" aside, I quickly began to appreciate the album on its own merit as well. No two Voivod albums sound alike, and thank God for that. This album is yet another facet in the true gem that is Voivod.

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted March 11, 2003 00:42       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Listen to the whole cd with headphones.It really helps to hear how great this album really is.(and i mean loud!)
IP: Logged
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 11, 2003 00:48     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah. My very first listen was with headphones. It's definitely the best way to catch it all.
Flots
VoivodFan
Member # 228

posted March 11, 2003 01:16     Profile for Flots   Email Flots     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Farside: Given that you love "Angel Rat" and consider "Outer Limits" your least favourite... it does make sense that you are disappointed with this album.

I would consider "Outer Limits" among the best... and "Angel Rat" probably the worst. Therein lies the difference in our opinions.

Cheers

manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted March 11, 2003 01:43     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ah!

farside is on to something, listen to it a few more times and i'll call you "brain damaged"

ha!

Motherboard says there's something wrong

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 11, 2003 02:02     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Manipulator, you sure are cryptic these days.
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 11, 2003 02:11     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
Yeah. My very first listen was with headphones. It's definitely the best way to catch it all.

This holds true with ANY recording, IMO. You get to hear the dissection of left/right more clearly, the assault on the hemispheres is better arranged

manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted March 11, 2003 03:35     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

so i take it you haven't listened to the album then ? make sure you get a copy, great replay value.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted March 11, 2003 03:38     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

...to say the least.

absolute favourites:
- Strange and Ironic
- Invisible Planet

most favourites:
all others except Facing up and Real Again?

lesat favourites:
- Facing up
- Real Again?

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 11, 2003 04:38     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like the whole album.

On 'Blame Us' and "I Don't Want to Wake Up", I'm reminded of why I missed Snake so much - wow, interesting melody in a vocal line!

Absolute fave musically, for the most nostalgic of reasons is: 'Invisible Planet'.
Which is as good a song as Piggy's ever written.

Least favourite aspect of the album though is that we're back to a straight three piece band - where are all the accordians, mellotrons and theremin?

PS. 'Flying Cigar' is the coolest name for a ufo - and there is no harm in pointing this out.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 11, 2003 04:39     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dont wanna wake up ."either".
Rebel Robot
Facing Up

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted March 11, 2003 06:55     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Flots... are you french-speaking of origin?
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 11, 2003 07:07     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At the moment the coolest thing about the album for me is that I'm going to get it eventually. The worst is that the record was supposed to be on the shelves yesterday but there's some kind of a fucking loader's strike going on in the south coast so all deliveries will be delayed until that dilemma is solved. Why did they have to do that right now?

Sorry, that was mildly off-topic. I'm getting frustrated here !

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 11, 2003 07:20     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Best songs for me are Multiverse, ..Wake Up (for that first heavy riff - superb!) and Blame Us (really dig the lyrics when snake goes on about how fucked the planet is. Guess I'm an old hippy at heart!).
Only one worst song. Real Again. Tempted to skip (and not in the way invented by girls ) past that every time.
Other than that I like most of it, and love bits of it. Which is more than I can say for most recent purchases.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 11, 2003 08:58     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by manipulator:

so i take it you haven't listened to the album then ? make sure you get a copy, great replay value.

I got a copy on March 4th. Still don't get what you're driving at. I guess I'm an idiot.

Flots
VoivodFan
Member # 228

posted March 11, 2003 11:32     Profile for Flots   Email Flots     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Outcast: I am of Voivod-Origin
code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted March 11, 2003 11:51     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At first I thought the new album was a little dull in some way. But to my happy surprise it started to grow on me only after some days. The flying Cigars lyrics works for me. It reminds me of the kind of charmy cheesy humour witnessed on "We are not alone" from TOL.

Most Favs:
Divine Sun
Facing up
Invisible planet
Blame us

Least favs:
We carry on
Rebel robot

Cya all

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 11, 2003 11:54     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to say that 'Divine Sun' is at the top of my list for favorites on the new album - that one has a great "old-ish Voivod" (meaning circa-1990) feel to it. Kinda quirky, very cool! Overall, I actually like the second half of the album more than the first.
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 11, 2003 12:12     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flots:
Outcast: I am of Voivod-Origin

?
Royalty from Moldavia?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 11, 2003 13:29     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Naw, royalty from California, his castle is called the Chophouse, lol...
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted March 11, 2003 14:08     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
These I like most:
-The Multiverse
-Divine Sun
-Reactor
-I Don't Wanna Wake Up
-We Carry On

These I like least:

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan