my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Where are all the reviews? (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: Where are all the reviews?
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 11, 2003 00:19     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Before making a statement like that, I think you need to own copies of all the previous albums. It adds that much needed credibility.

As for me, I don't like to compare Voivod records.

|  IP: Logged
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted March 11, 2003 00:26       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whats wrong with saying" better than all previous albums".What the hell are you writing into what i'm saying? I love all of Voivods' albums,probably more than most people on this board.i think there better than Zeppelin,Stone...you name it.There is no better to me,so stop saying i'm saying something i'm not.
IP: Logged
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 11, 2003 00:44     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LivingEvil:
Whats wrong with saying" better than all previous albums".

Not trying to argue, but I'm gonna go out on limb here and say that we'd be hard pressed to find any longtime Voivod fans that would agree with that statement, that's all.

It's not intended to be a knock on the new record, or on you for making the statement.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 11, 2003 09:15     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
THanks for explaining that to him NF.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted March 11, 2003 09:42     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's a good record for what it is. It stands on its own. I dont really wanna compare it to the older ones, not because it's better or worse, but it's a different time and a different band. It's its own entity, i think.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted March 11, 2003 11:26     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree that comparing Voivod albums to each other doesn't really work. Each record has its own vibe, its own sound... they're just too different. The closest albums to each other would have to be Negatron and Phobos and even those two are quite different from each other. Sure, you can find elements of certain albums on other ones and maybe that can aid in a comparison (I recently told a friend I thought the new record sounded like Angel Rat crossed with Nothingface and a few Killing Technology guitar bits here and there) but of course, comparison usually leads to "this is better than that" which is strictly a matter of taste.
I personally love the new album. It rocks my socks off. I wouldn't say I like it best out of the catalogue, but not least that's for sure.

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted March 11, 2003 11:58     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That blabbermouth review was lame.

There are plenty of electrifying songs on the new Voivod disc.

Why the f--- does everyone feel they have to recount the entire Voivod discography when doing a CD review? Inane.

Furthermore how can anyone possibly refer to "Killing Technology" from 1987 to an album recorded in 2002? Thats just stupid.

We aren't listening to vinyl anymore, and for gods sakes Killing Tech has some great stuff, but the sound is so thin and worn.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted March 11, 2003 14:04     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't want to start a flame war here, but how can you not look at an album in context of a whole body of work? Beethoven isn't examined symphony by symphony, just as the Beatles weren't looked at album by album. It's true each recording deserves to be examined on it's own merits, but doesn't 20 years of work (particularly if you record under the same name) mean the catalogue should also be considered?
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 11, 2003 22:26     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
I don't want to start a flame war here, but how can you not look at an album in context of a whole body of work? Beethoven isn't examined symphony by symphony, just as the Beatles weren't looked at album by album. It's true each recording deserves to be examined on it's own merits, but doesn't 20 years of work (particularly if you record under the same name) mean the catalogue should also be considered?

Yes, it does. Didn't hear the whole album yet, but surely this whole "TOL meets NF halfway to AR with KT picks and the DH atmosphere" thing seems too restrictive to me.

Oh, and still summer here, BTW.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 12, 2003 07:29     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Someone reviewed the promo CD HERE.
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 12, 2003 08:24     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Regarding Killing Tech sounding thin.

Is it just me, or does the audio on the videos sound a shitload better than the vinyls? Especially 'Voivod'?

Not that this thread is about Vinyl, thats a whole other big issue.

Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted March 12, 2003 10:23     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got mine here in Zurich, no problem. Except that the guy in the record store tried to give me "voivod lives" first...and then he was stunned the band really got a new record out.

Cheers

P.S.: Dimension Hatröss is still their best.
It was symphonic.

The new one is great also. More
into "bluesy" roots ?

space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted March 12, 2003 13:46     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
my review:

sour notes: real again? and les cigares volants were good ideas but didn't seem to work well IMO.

highs: everything else I liked. it sounds like TOL but heavier and Snake is yelling more which is good. my favorite song today is invisible planet. Gotta digg that megaphone.

surprises: they sound like TOOL a bit on the intro of i don't wanna wake up. hidden track is interesting (what is being said there?)

overall, alot more things I like than don't like. Piggy rules as usual, the band chemistry sounds good. Snake's lyrics are mostly good except for a few weak lines.

go buy the damn thing! ...no...i didn't say download it either, buy buy buy!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 12, 2003 13:59     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still like it a lot, probably a little less than I did earlier. I'd agree with the space monger on the weak tracks, but it struck me as a very good album, definitely one that I'll come back to again and again over time. It'll never beat the 80's Voivod, but it stands up on its own as a good album (which more people should buy!), and a good opener to the 'third chapter'!
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 12, 2003 16:03     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by space monger:
my review:surprises: they sound like TOOL a bit on the intro of i don't wanna wake up. hidden track is interesting (what is being said there?)

I know I'm nitpicking here, but TOOL sounds like Voivod, not the other way around.

I second that "Buy" statement. If you like the record and you want to see the band do well, it's the least the fans can do.

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted March 12, 2003 19:54     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, thanks. Tool would not even exist if it wasn't for Voivod. Perhaps they would exist in the lame fashion of the incredibly lame UNDERTOW album, but thats it.

I don't think Dave Grohl would exist either, he has scammed so much Voivod and Swervedriver stuff, he should be in jail.

On the issues of CD reviews, I would add that it is not necessarily bad to use the bands other records as comparison. However, it is always used in printed Voivod reviews which are always poorly written in the mainstream press. Some old dude (sorry!) tries to scrape together what kind of music Piggy does usually saying something about "jazz influences" (gawd!) and then goes on about the bands progressions on each record as if he can explain them verbally- (futile, I say). Bad mainstream rock writers, eek, blah!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 12, 2003 20:41     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon6:
I got mine here in Zurich, no problem. Except that the guy in the record store tried to give me "voivod lives" first...and then he was stunned the band really got a new record out.

Cheers

P.S.: Dimension Hatröss is still their best.
It was symphonic.

The new one is great also. More
into "bluesy" roots ?

What's up pal?? Where the hell have you been? I'm still spinning the Holdsworth discs. Hope you're doing okay. And I agree with the "blues roots."

Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted March 13, 2003 01:30     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, my album review got bumped til at least next week. Proves how much Voivod love there is at the local indie rock weekly here.
OmeterSkin Dub
VoivodFan
Member # 237

posted March 13, 2003 20:51     Profile for OmeterSkin Dub   Email OmeterSkin Dub     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wrote a review on my site: http://www.firesideometer.com

It was the featured review earlier this week. But it's still on the front page under Recent Reviews. And yes, I did mention it in the context of the other albums they've created.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 13, 2003 21:04     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ometer - I found a bunch of great Failure mp3s on your site a while ago. Cool site!
OmeterSkin Dub
VoivodFan
Member # 237

posted March 13, 2003 21:15     Profile for OmeterSkin Dub   Email OmeterSkin Dub     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Kane! Failure and Voivod are two of my all-time favorites. I've always thought it's interesting how both of those bands took that dark, psychedelic Pink Floyd influence and did totally different things with it.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 14, 2003 08:42     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good review Ometer. That ain't easy to do when youre a fan.
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 14, 2003 10:51     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OmeterSkin Dub:
I wrote a review on my site: http://www.firesideometer.com

It was the featured review earlier this week. But it's still on the front page under Recent Reviews. And yes, I did mention it in the context of the other albums they've created.

Ometer, excellent review!
If you don't mind, I'd like to link directly to that page from my VV feature.

I also have a few questions about the pop-up jukebox you guys are using.
It is very cool. Can you put me in touch with whoever designs that stuff?

OmeterSkin Dub
VoivodFan
Member # 237

posted March 14, 2003 10:59     Profile for OmeterSkin Dub   Email OmeterSkin Dub     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any links to the review or Firesideometer in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Next month we're starting a feature where all of our writers review every album from a band. For instance, April will be Teenage Fanclub month. BUT, I've seen to it that May will be Voivod month. We'll be starting with War and Pain and covering everything in between! Should be interesting to see what some of our writers say about the band's earlier stuff. Most of us at the site are headbangers at heart, but not all.

OmeterSkin Dub
VoivodFan
Member # 237

posted March 14, 2003 11:16     Profile for OmeterSkin Dub   Email OmeterSkin Dub     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Also, Tangento if you want to link directly to that Voivod review, the address is:
http://www.firesideometer.com/reviews/revContent.asp?aid=480

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan