my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Where are all the reviews? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: Where are all the reviews?
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 10, 2003 10:21     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I expcted - foolishly - the net to be alive with excitement about the new album.

I thought Google might have it's often customized logo all 'voivody' and amazon's review page filled with praise - there's some.

Saving here and .net there seems to be bugger all.

Do you think word of mouth will carry the day for them this time? Do many of you think there'll be commercial success?

|  IP: Logged
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted March 10, 2003 10:35     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, to have commercial success, they will have, first of all, to MAKE THE ALBUM AVAILABLE, so that people can actually buy it. That's rule number one, I guess. Here in Canada: nada. No record store has it yet. Fuck.

I've been checking the medias, here in Quebec: dead silence. No one talks about Voivod. I'm still waiting for a review or something in a newspaper. Niet. There's only Radio-Canada, on the Bande à part webpage, that has an announcement about the release of the album (march 4th? blahaha! Good one!)

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 10, 2003 10:41     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You still can't buy it? That's terrible.
Are they struggling to find distribution everywhere?

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 10, 2003 10:52     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I assume this means you haven't been to the news section of the official site?
http://www.voivod.com/news.html

There are references to some reviews there, and ::gasp::
they even posted a link to my mini-interview with Jason!

I can tell you firsthand that there are definitely a shitload
of people buzzing around VVDC, because my site alone is getting
several HUNDRED hits a day from theirs.

Things are not as dismal as you think, not by a long shot.

THANKS VVDC!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted March 10, 2003 10:53     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nope, can't buy it yet. The last I heard, they didn't find a distributor for Canada. Anyone here knows what's happening?

I find it sad that Voivod can't even distribute their albums in their own country.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 10, 2003 10:59     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are a few copies on eBay already. Screw the archaic distribution routes! Have it delivered to your house.

By the way, no, those auctions are not mine.

manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted March 10, 2003 11:04     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
got it yesterday at HMV downtown, 25,99$. not exactly cheap, but with the kind of replay value it offers, not a rip-off either, far from it.

when they sort out distribution and have it domestic, it should do well (all parameters taken into account)

the thing is "the industry" never really liked voivod, i don't see how it will change. "the industry" wants rehash, as that seems to be what the public wants.

Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death ya know

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted March 10, 2003 11:08     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yah, it's like, where's the fucking record? Archambault still doesnt have it, not even an import (they do however have Nothingface, which i found pretty shocking)... Oh well, i'll get it when i see it... it's been rotting my brain since feb. 5th, anyways.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted March 10, 2003 11:12     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm kinda pissed, you know, cause I can't order it on the internet. Credit card is full. Damn you, damn you all!
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 10, 2003 11:12     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
I assume this means you haven't been to the news section of the official site?
http://www.voivod.com/news.html

There are references to some reviews there, and ::gasp::
they even posted a link to my mini-interview with Jason!

I can tell you firsthand that there are definitely a shitload
of people buzzing around VVDC, because my site alone is getting
several HUNDRED hits a day from theirs.

Things are not as dismal as you think, not by a long shot.

THANKS VVDC!

I hadn't seen this. It looks as if this new album site will be usefully updated. Good!

I hope that you're right about the increased traffic accross your site. These things don't necessarily translate into sales, given the shitty, shitty distribution people are complaining about...
With luck we'll see them on top of the underground scene again if it continues - the interest that is, not the shitty distribution.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 10, 2003 11:21     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod albums have always been near-impossible to find anyway. In fact, for me this one was by far the easiest to buy.

By Yuri, you're fans of the greatest Cult band in the world and you expect them to be in Wal-Mart?! Dig deeper, people! Give something back!

You see, a cult band maintains it's integrity by making the album as hard to buy as possible, with no reviews and no pictures (like Tool, who also make their CD's title completely unpronouncable. Only they then fuck it all up by giving interviews). The next step would be to glue the CD cases shut, thereby putting yet more barriers between you the punter and them the Cult Rock Stars.

Hey shit I'll shut up now. I mean, I'm happy, I've got VV already!

Cult. Cunt, more like.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 10, 2003 11:24     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That give me a great idea for the next Voivod album. It should be packaged in a fancy, techical-looking glass case and be titled, "In case of Emergency" in bold red letters.
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 10, 2003 11:27     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
True. In the UK the search is made relatively easy by the sheer volume of indie shops and good distribution.

Perhaps to increase the cult excitement, they could have released one or two homemade cd's into the country via smugglers and encouraged us to fight over it?
You'd have been so busy organising your housesale it's improve my chances.

Ironically given what I've been banging on about I bought mine from HMV for £13.00.
...not exactly a challenge.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted March 10, 2003 11:29     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To make it harder, they could release their albums only on the internet, so that 56k modem users have to wait 10 years to download it.

Oh, wait, Away said they were really gonna do that. Shit! No credit card, no cable internet. I think I'm gonna cry...

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 10, 2003 11:31     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I went in every one of the last few remaining independant shops in London and none of them had the fucker. I had to end up giving richard branson my £14.
Voivod. Because I'm worth it!

code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted March 10, 2003 13:13     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I finally got a copy of the CD today. It was delayed to March 10 here in sweden and in germany also I heard. Perhaps this counts for most of Europe?

cya all

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted March 10, 2003 13:18     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's official! April in Canada, distributed by Universal. Go check Away's french interview.
Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted March 10, 2003 15:52     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The first thing you notice about the latest Voivod disc is, that it is Voivod. In the tracks you can hear tinges of "Nothingface", and "Outer Limits", and is in no way different from Voivod's usual style of punkish rythms, and weird time changes. Like past albums, a song will go along at a steady pace and then take a hard right in a direction you did not expect. That is Voivod.

The production has up-front snare, guitar and bass sounds, and the performances very tight. Not much in the way of slick producing or effects, the album isn't conceptually overwrought but is very down to earth, organic sounding and straight-forward.

Very much a group effort, Snake the vocalist speaks to the listener with clear introspection in the present and throws in his nice melody. Away's drumming somehow always progresses and gets better with each album, and has great double-bass licks as usual. He's one of the best.Piggys guitar playing is a signature style that always is his, the songs written here run concurrently as if the album is all one song with various movements. There are no leads in every song, just for the sake of having a guitar lead.

But the music is very imaginative and has the mark of being a long time in the making, and not just thrown together for a comeback.

A very honest effort here by the guys, and in many ways it is a tried and true Voivod that comes out here. Nothing new about the sound, is how Voivod usually sounds and Newsted stays with the formula and seems to tune his bass to their style.

As far as categorizing the music, it is not a blistering Thrash attack like Destruction's
"Antichrist," but rather a straight ahead rock type, sound that has a few tunes you could headbang to.

Many thanks to Jason for reforming one of the all-time classic greats of the Thrash era. The fans will never forget you.

"Is It Real?" Yes it is.

St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted March 10, 2003 16:14     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's on Blabbermouth.

Defend the faith.

St.

Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted March 10, 2003 17:28     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My review comes out in the Portland Mercury this thursday.
http://www.portlandmercury.com

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted March 10, 2003 17:57     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not sure if this interview has been posted already. Sorry if I missed it. Here you go....
http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=1837

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 10, 2003 19:34     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Blabbermouth review

I know I may catch some flak for this but I thought that review was very honest about the album and dead on in its description of the music and members.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted March 10, 2003 19:48     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought so too. And before you slag off Don Kaye as a know nothing type critic, the guy has been covering metal for a quite a while now:

Covering the Dirty, Nasty, Offensive, and (occasionally even) Stupid
A chat with metal critic, Don Kaye

quote:
More importantly, don't ever let the music biz compromise your thoughts, your words, or your opinions. That's getting harder and harder to do, since more and more magazines read more like extensions of the record company publicity departments than real magazines featuring honest appraisal and criticism.

You are writing for the readers. They may go out and spend hard-earned money based on your opinion (at least we like to think so, although the truth is probably more depressing, ha ha), so it's your task to give them the most honest and undiluted opinion you can. Contrary to what a lot of people think, it's not easy to write bad reviews, nor is it enjoyable, but it's a part of the job. Be objective, be passionate, be knowledgeable about your subject, be joyful when you can (I don't think it's necessary or good to slap a coat of irony over everything), but most importantly, be honest to yourself and your readers.

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted March 10, 2003 22:07       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dont want this album to be a commercial success.I hope it does better than any other Voivod album but if it get to big i dont want that to influence the next album.
Bands that get big for one reason or another change.I've loved Soundgarden for 15 yrs before they got big,then their music just got dull for me.I dont want that to happen to Voivod.I think it's the drive for success that fuels good music.Once your there the drives gone.
For those that are still wait,it's well worth the wait.You'll love it.Better than all previous albums...and thats saying alot!

IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 10, 2003 22:50     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Better than all previous albums", I see we've got another joker in the crowd. You and F.Ron need to hang out together.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan