my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Does anyone else think Voivod is similar to...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone else think Voivod is similar to...
Faggatron
VoivodFan
Member # 218

posted March 07, 2003 08:59     Profile for Faggatron   Email Faggatron     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Prong?
I do. Even their history is somewhat similar, with both bands starting with the thrash/death metal and eventually evolving into something much better...not to mention the fact both do really weird stuff when compared to the majority of metal bands.
Prong is cool. I want them to put out a new album soon.

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 07, 2003 10:57     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are you kidding?
Faggatron
VoivodFan
Member # 218

posted March 07, 2003 11:01     Profile for Faggatron   Email Faggatron     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Please explain, with lots of examples.
I gave you my reasons to think so, and you only come up with a half-assed witty attempt?
Are you serious?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 07, 2003 12:45     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Uhhh, yeah.

Example one: First listen to Lost and Found from the Beg to Differ album. Immediately following this put on Brain Scan from Dimension H. If you can't hear the INCREDIBLE DIFFERENCES there you have to be deaf. These two groups are light years away.

Foot
VoivodFan
Member # 60

posted March 07, 2003 15:34     Profile for Foot   Email Foot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know. I think you could make a case for the career arcs of both bands being similar. Both bands started out a little rough-sounding, releasing stuff on underground labels and working up to the majors only to have things fall apart.
But the guitar, drum and bass styles are different. Victor favors a lot of pinch harmonics and some fast riffing, Piggy has the whole dissonant chord thing. I think the closest link between the two styles may be Prove You Wrong's title track. It's sort of has the 'Vod Psychedelic-metal vibe. As for the drumming it's miles apart. Away tends to punctuate odd points in the measure with his snare. Parsons tends to stick the snare on the 3 count with the occasional exception and also uses his toms a whole lot more than Away. Then there's bass, Voivod had Blacky, who provided a counterpoint to Piggy's playing. Prong has a revolving door of air-bassists (exception of Prove You Wrong album, Troy Gregory kicks ass all over it).

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted March 07, 2003 15:47     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe 'some' resemblance in their careers, but I don't see a musical connection either.
Faggatron
VoivodFan
Member # 218

posted March 07, 2003 16:44     Profile for Faggatron   Email Faggatron     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nom:
Maybe 'some' resemblance in their careers, but I don't see a musical connection either.

I didn't imply their music sounded alike, but I still think both bands play pretty idiosyncratic(sp) kind of music, and that's where similarities end.
Someone could mention they teamed up with someone famous (Glenn Danzig for Prong, Newsted for 'Vod), but that's beyond the point, I think.

quote:

First listen to Lost and Found from the Beg to Differ album. Immediately following this put on Brain Scan from Dimension H. If you can't hear the INCREDIBLE DIFFERENCES there you have to be deaf.

Good thing I never said they sound similar.
What now, you're gonna tell me Prong's Peel sessions is a different album when compared to the Morgoth invasion demo tape? Dork.

Foot was right in on the money.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 07, 2003 16:56     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Faggaschumck, you call me a dork?? Now that's funny coming from someone who put that kind of pic on their profile. If that is you, what exactly are you trying to lick? Yourself?
Foot
VoivodFan
Member # 60

posted March 07, 2003 16:59     Profile for Foot   Email Foot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Good thing I never said they sound similar.
What now, you're gonna tell me Prong's Peel sessions is a different album when compared to the Morgoth invasion demo tape? Dork.

Take it easy man, we're all friends here. Mezcal can be a little defensive sometimes (don't ever tell him Medeski Martin and Wood is a jazz band!) but he's a good shit who knows his 'Vod. Plus he lives in a cave and plays with guns. Wouldn't do to start trouble with him.

Faggatron
VoivodFan
Member # 218

posted March 07, 2003 17:11     Profile for Faggatron   Email Faggatron     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Faggaschumck, you call me a dork?? Now that's funny coming from someone who put that kind of pic on their profile. If that is you, what exactly are you trying to lick? Yourself?

That's actually my real picture. I put it there to get people's pants on an uproar.
Guess on which person did it first work?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 07, 2003 20:42     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yah, man, my pants were on fire after seeing that pic. You are definitely a sex machine.

Someone please hose me down immediately....

And MMW is NOT jazz!!! Hahahah, I'd forgotten about that one Foot.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 07, 2003 21:35     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foot:
Take it easy man, we're all friends here. Mezcal can be a little defensive sometimes (don't ever tell him Medeski Martin and Wood is a jazz band!) but he's a good shit who knows his 'Vod. Plus he lives in a cave and plays with guns. Wouldn't do to start trouble with him.

LOL!!!

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 08, 2003 15:35     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If there's anyone out there who sounds similar ? Then its sounds like VoivoD.
haha they were first.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 08, 2003 15:53     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe it's just because it's one of my all-time fav albums, but I think the "Prove You Wrong" (the album) vibe is the same of some older Voivod albums, maybe because it's so bass driven. I miss Troy Gregory in Prong, even if they replaced him with fucking Paul Raven. And some "Piggy chords", as you guys like to name.

But Prong (mainly late Prong) actually sounds like Killing Joke, Tommy Victor always wanted to sound like Killing Joke, as he said in the Rude Awakening CD-Rom interview, damn, he even called an ex-Killing Joke to join his band!

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted March 08, 2003 18:11     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't say anything aside from the fact that both bands are well represented in my collection.

Mez, tell me I put something on that beer tab last Saturday. I seemed to have lost about fifty bucks that night.

Faggatron
VoivodFan
Member # 218

posted March 08, 2003 18:29     Profile for Faggatron   Email Faggatron     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Oh yah, man, my pants were on fire after seeing that pic. You are definitely a sex machine.

Someone please hose me down immediately....

That's ok, man. You're beyond gays now.
"We're here, we're queer, we need more beer"

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan