my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Name-calling (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Name-calling
TheHade
VoivodFan
Member # 109

posted March 07, 2003 07:11     Profile for TheHade   Email TheHade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, thanx for making this such a great thread! ROFL!!!

quote:
Originally posted by BumEggs:
There's a sidequestion: Do Germans have the best names?

No, they haven't. My name is Michael Bleyer, e.g., which doesn't rock exactly.
What makes you think Germans had the best names?!

|  IP: Logged
satan
VoivodFan
Member # 35

posted March 07, 2003 07:48     Profile for satan   Email satan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SATAN. My real name.

Dark Lord of the underworld.

I have a special 'VoivodFan' area in Hell
for all of you when you get here.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 07, 2003 07:56     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Outcast:
ya'll know the TMHT don't ya?

No! Not you guys too! The fucking bbc changed the 'Ninja' bit to 'Hero' when they showed the series. That sucked. It should always be TMNT!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 07, 2003 08:10     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Strictly speaking, h, TMNT and TMHT were two differenct entities.

TMNT was a graphic novel series that fucking rocked, whereas TMHT was a low-budget 'fuckit, that'll do' cartoon that fucking sucked.

Danny Spitz's TMNT Jackson was extremely cool.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 07, 2003 08:18     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very well put Mr Helicopter. Spot on.
But I always did prefer the Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters myself.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted March 07, 2003 08:22     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
No! Not you guys too! The fucking bbc changed the 'Ninja' bit to 'Hero' when they showed the series. That sucked. It should always be TMNT!

you know what? I was always referring to them as TMNT, like it was an inconscious thing to do... then I found that some were spelling it TMHT, which puzzled me...
looks like it worked with me and this time around, I just wrote the infamous H (no offense, eh, h!) instead of N...

bah, anyway...

Voivod
VoivodFan
Member # 222

posted March 08, 2003 15:18     Profile for Voivod   Email Voivod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It appears this is the place where we explain out login names. Well...

I'm 28 years old, first found out about Voivod when I was a snot-nosed 13 year old, an happened to pick up a copy of a metal mag (of which I've long since forgotten the name), and read a review of _Killing Technology_. I bought the tape (Reagan was still in office, CDs were out of my reach, and I didn't have a record player), and after I got over the initial shock, I grew to love it. It had only been a short time earlier when I thought metal was Motley Crue (we all have to start somewhere).

Due to miserably distrobution, I didn't get a copy of _Dimension Hatross_ until the early 90s, but I did get _Nothingface_ shortly after it came out (on cassette again, ugh). It is still arguably my favorite 'vod album. Angel Rat followed, and I spent many years trying to like it.

During my senior year of high school, I discovered the world of (dail-up) BBSes. Shortly thereafter, I discovered *pirate* BBSes. The pirate BBS scene back then (and presumably now) was a riot. Everyone had "adjective noun" names. Final Descendent, Morbid Annihilator, Deeply Disturbed, Vengeance Rising, etc etc. Even at 18, I knew better. So I chose the name of my (still) favorite metal band: Voďvod. (I still remember typing alt-139 to get the ď).

So for the last decade or so, my online name has been Voivod. I kept listening to the band through the _The Outer Limits_ (runner-up for favorite album). I dutifully bought _Negatron_ in 1995, but Voivod had changed, and so had I. I didn't like the new sound, and my tastes in music were headed in a different direction.

Now wis where you label me a heretic. For the last 10 years, my main music interest has been techno. Not "techno" in the mainstream Barbie Girl/Paul Oakenfold chunder sense, but the real business that originated from Detroit and Germany. I've been DJing for about seven years now. I have my own weekly radio show, Test Tone here in western Massachusetts on WAMH 89.3FM.

Through all of this, I of course never forgot about Voivod, and would occasionally plug their name into a search engine (finding among other things, the much-malined "official" site). Working in college radio, I found out about the new Voivod CD a few months ago, and my interest was piqed. Then I found out Jason Newstead was on board, I found that rather poetic. Poor Jason has been stuck in Metallica for 15 years, and they've sucked for at least 10 of those. Then I heard Snake was back on board, and I really got interested in the new disc.

We got the promo a while back, but the loud rock director obsonced with it, and I never got to hear it.

Now I have the whole album, and I'm listening to it for the first time as I write this. To those who are not used to Snake's voice, it might be a bit startling. To me, the album is blissfully not as abrasive as the Forrest-era output, and sound somewhere between Hatross and The Outer Limits. This is a good thing.

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted March 08, 2003 15:45     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hi and welcome, Voivod
Since it was your nick on dial-up BBS's, you probably deserve it, despite your musical heresy - j/k . Hope you like the new album, check out the Jim Thirlwell's remixes on Kronik, the tech/indus side of Voivod...

about names: not my favourite song but that neutral sub-atomic particle, rarely interacting with anything, just passing by...

spudboy
VoivodFan
Member # 78

posted March 08, 2003 15:59     Profile for spudboy   Email spudboy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"spudboy" is a Devo reference. They're my all-time favorite band (Voivod is a very close 2nd, though).

It's from the song "Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA" off their 2nd album "Duty Now For The Future".

Devo and Voivod...yeah, I guess you could say I have a thing for odd, quirky music...

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted March 08, 2003 17:24     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After months of reading posts at Yuri's, I decided to respond to one of 'em cause one of the regulars made a remark or two about George Jones (wonder who that was?). Anyway, my wife always liked country music so I chimed in. At the time, my youngest daughter, Layla, had just been born & I was just centering everything around her, hence the name.
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted March 08, 2003 19:21     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I can remember that country music discussion. In the end, MHead, sent me a Gillian Welch album. Thank you again for that, pal. Her music is so warm-hearted and American while you're sitting on the balcony in the evening, drinking some red wine and starring at the big satellite bowl from your Turkish neighbour.

My name is Hypercube, because I believe in the power of geometry.

Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted March 10, 2003 08:12     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well my nick (Helldriver) come from the beginning of the 90' when a friend of mine started to play with me at a flight simulator called Falcon 3.
We had to create a new pilot with a nickname so my passion of Voivod pushed me to choose a name between the Voivod songs, and Helldriver sounded cool for a F16 pilot...

I liked that name very much so I started to use it when a nickname was needed, for the mail and so on.

I see that in a Voivod album (don't remember which) there is a Helldriver in the thanks list, so I hope to didn't have stealed someone's nickname... (if I did please tell me)

Hey Tangento you forgot "Gentilissimo", Gentilissimo Tangento!

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 10, 2003 11:05     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helldriver:

Hey Tangento you forgot "Gentilissimo", Gentilissimo Tangento!

You have addressed me.
And what you have said, Frightens and Confuses me.
I know not the meaning of what you say.

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 10, 2003 11:18     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

We had to create a new pilot with a nickname so my passion of Voivod pushed me to choose a name between the Voivod songs, and Helldriver sounded cool for a F16 pilot...

Now all I can picture is you in an F16 with a steering wheel for controls rather than a flightstick.
Mind you, 'Hellflyer' sounds rubbish.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 11, 2003 00:45     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My username started out as my first yahoo e-mail address. I was going to e-mail AWAY and tell him how cool it would be to officially have Snake back (this was around August 2001), and to notify me if it became official, as well as any goings on in the Vod camp. Well, my thought out message came directly back to me saying his address was no longer valid

I stuck with the name to use on any forum relating to Voivod, and to me the meaning simply translates into making the music and spirit of the Voivod vibe a part of you.

Infuse the Voivod Vibe (which happens to be nuclear)

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 11, 2003 01:00     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hell. Dimensions Hatross self explanitory. aside the fact i seem to be stuck in a dimension of hate,alot lately "im just a negative creep kinda dude.
Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted March 11, 2003 06:21     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tangento : I was referring when you introduced 13-34 into this forum and he called you gentilissimo (and for me it seems you appreciated that word) I didn't know you didn't know the meaning...
Anyway gentilissimo is the superlative (or similar) of gentile that in english means "kind".

BumEggs : Yes Hellflyer is not very good, but to control my F16 I used a stick like the one that's using Korgull in the cover of Rrroooaaarrr...

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 11, 2003 07:22     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Tangento : I was referring when you introduced 13-34 into this forum and he called you gentilissimo (and for me it seems you appreciated that word) I didn't know you didn't know the meaning...
Anyway gentilissimo is the superlative (or similar) of gentile that in english means "kind".

Yes, I realized this after my 'confused' post.
Thanks

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 11, 2003 07:32     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

BumEggs : Yes Hellflyer is not very good, but to control my F16 I used a stick like the one that's using Korgull in the cover of Rrroooaaarrr...

I prefer that image.
Is the F16 covered in spikes too?

Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted March 11, 2003 08:21     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BumEggs:

I prefer that image.
Is the F16 covered in spikes too?

Yes, it has also the flamer and instead of sidewinders I shoot the angel rat bats.

I got lock, I got lock , Fox two! ehm Rat two!

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 11, 2003 08:29     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is it just me that thinks a drawing competition isn't such a bad idea.

"Design A new century Voivod vehicle."

Prize being: to be a full member of Voivod, ousting Away and providing all drumming and stunt artwork as necessary.

Maybe? I am serious about the 'fan-art.'

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 11, 2003 19:23     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
F

Finally he works out how to add an image!!

This is what happened after I first saw a picture of Blacky. And this is why I got kicked out of school...

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 12, 2003 03:23     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well if you already got kicked out of school then why did you cut it afterwards? How's the progress coming nowadays?
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 12, 2003 08:12     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just wanted to see the shape of my head!

It's growing back just fine now, thanks for asking. I get glared at by Jocks and called 'darling' by not-quite-on-the-ball shop assistants.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan