my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Speakers??

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Speakers??
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 05, 2003 15:45     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When I get my income tax back one of the things I have to have are new speakers. What kind of shelf speakers do ya'll have? I had a brilliant pair of cerwin vegas and would love to go with them again. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
 |  IP: Logged
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted March 05, 2003 15:52     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get a pair of Alesis Monitor One, studio reference monitor, if you can, not that expensive.
guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted March 05, 2003 16:20     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bought some Bowers & Wilkins-speakers recently... Not bad at all. And not too expensive either. I really should get a subwoofer for that extra deep bass-sound I guess.
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 05, 2003 19:11     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Vegas are good speakers. i had a set of at15's hooked into this here comp at one time,i ran the soundcard to input of my home setup. Since ive bought a altec lansing 3pc setup. they sound good but not as loud as the home reciever. Alesis refrence monitors have been a kinda standard for a few yrs now,nice flat response and tons of volume from them, ive seen quite a few ppl with them. id check those out also.
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 06, 2003 04:10     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
B&W are good, the shelfspeakers better than their floorstanders - woolly bass. Fantastic midrange on all.

I like the Tannoy 2.5 (UK - great bookshelf types.) or for a reference sound, You might wish to try ,www.norh.com, a mail order only company. Their speaker are not only very scifi looking, but cheap and exotically hi-end sounding.
I've got a pair a the solid marble 5.1's, which are more accurate than anything at that price, unless you buy second hand.
Which isn't a bad idea weith speakers.

If i was you I'd check out the "harmonic-discord" for informed opinions.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 06, 2003 05:24     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can't quite believe I'm going to say the Blackster is wrong, but I'd not recommend the Alesis Monitors unless you need them for recording.

If you just want your speakers to sound great, get some great hi-fi speakers. Studio Monitors are meant to be flat-response (Alesis aren't really flat, but not bad for the money) which you need when you're mixing/tracking. But for listening to music they'll sound, well, a wee bit flat. Whereas hi-fi speakers are designed to flatter the music, ie add more low-mid, top & bass than is really there.

Sorry Blacky, I'm sure they sound fucking amazing when you're playing Metal Daze at full volume, and for sure they look cool, but for the money you can do better in hi-fi.

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted March 06, 2003 19:43     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Must be three way for me.

Preferably JVC or Technics which really bang with a twelve inch woofer!

Bookshelf are okay, but like the ones I own must remain secondary.

Technics rules!

alicecooper
VoivodFan
Member # 204

posted March 07, 2003 01:27     Profile for alicecooper   Email alicecooper     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wharfdale diamond speakers are (IMO) the best deal around. www.audioadvisor.com
I have the 8.4 towers but the bookshelf ones kick as well.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan