my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » An Italian Review....

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An Italian Review....
marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted March 03, 2003 16:50     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's a little review that I find on an italian music magazine about the new Voivod album.I tried to translate it at better in english... hope you will understand!

---------------
Commonly metal is not regarded as an intelligent music, in terms of development and research of smart and refined forms of expressions. But I think in a Voivod case an exception should be done. Always the canadian band managed to melt a complex musical approach with visionary, futuristic and cruelly lyrics and a cyber graphic integrated with their message. Their 13th album that comes after 20 years of carrer, show two important news: the reapparance of the old singer Snake and the inserion of bass player Jason Newsted, coming from Metallica, who also took responsibility of the album support with his new label Chophouse.
From a stylistic point of view the album is situated among the complex plaitings of Nothingface and the melody of Angel Rat. The strange use of the guitar transfigure the space prog into an enormous metallic entity, like a cyborg made part of soul and part of flesh as in the worse nightmare of the Canadian too David Croneberg (Rebel Robot).
The use of echoes and resonances enlarged by sibilant effects strenghtening the thesis of they who call them the “Pink Floyd of metal” . The Muliverse is the apogee of the genre before a climax crescendo with the calssic acid Snake’s intonation on the shields.
There’s also more punk songs that ,with their impact, brake the complexity if other songs (Gasmask revival).
There is also a plaesant implementation of 80’s thrash metal, with a mixing of a raw and bitter music with never banal melodys (Facing Up , We carry On) .
Voivod are a singular entity in the metal scene, capable of heavy upswings (Reactor) as well as unexpected delicacy (I Don’t Wanna Wake Up), but the most important thing is that they opened us the doors of another dimension: The Invisible Planet where they drive us with their magnetic waves.

---------------

|  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 04, 2003 04:52     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Marco. It's better than the kerrang one, but tht's no surprise!
Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted March 04, 2003 09:47     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool ! thanks for translating this review
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 04, 2003 11:33     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh, nice. At least they actually reviewed the album!
space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted March 04, 2003 15:21     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good review. I always thought Voivod sounds very particular and exact in their recordings myself. Some bands sound sloppier, Voivod find a way to maintain aggression while also sounding complicated and well trained on their instruments.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan