my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The Kerrang! Review in Full

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Kerrang! Review in Full
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 01, 2003 07:14     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here it is, enjoy!

SEMINAL CANADIANS RETURN WITH EX-METALLICA MAN

A long time ago, at the end of the '80s, three very disparate bands embarked on a tour of America that would lay down the foundation for the alt-rock nation long before Lollapalooza bwas even a twinkle in Perry Farrell's eye. Of the three bands, two would become something close to household names. Those bands were Faith No More and Soundgarden, and over the next few years they would help redefine and reshape rock music.
The third band - the headliners, in fact - weren't so fortunate. Quebec natives Voivod were justly acclaimed as one of the most experimantal and adventurous bands on the planet. Over the course of five albums, they'd broken down barriers that their less progressively minded peers hadn' even realised existed. Voivod beamed the white light of thrash metal through a prism of their own construction; the result was diffracted, strange and entirely unique. Mybe too unique - Voivod never captured the minds of the great record buying public in the way that either FNM or Soundgarden did. They didn't sell a million records off the back of that (or any other) tour, and consequently spent the rest of the nineties stumbling at increasing sped towards anonymity.
Now, a decade on, Voivod have suddenly reappeared in a blaze - well, a noticeable flicker- of publicity. Much of this new-found interest can be laid at the feet of former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted who joined their ranks late last year (alongside former vocalist Denis Belanger, who returned after eight years). But Newsted's presence has done more than merely raise the band's profile, it's seemingly refocused and re-energised them.
Ironically, 'Voivod' is easily their most straight forward (album. Bad English, Kerrang). The angular excesses and head spinning musicianship of the past have been reined in in favour of a more direct approach that's effective and eye-opening in equal measure. Rather than pinballing through time-changes the likes of 'Gasmask Revival' has its feet firmly planted in straightahead rock 'n' roll. But there's still sufficient depth offered up to drag anyone who recalls the glory days back onside (what does he mean by that!?). Voivod won't rectify the failures of the early '90s, but it does herald the return of a once-potent force.

KKKK

Well, that's it, I didn't think it was really a review, personally, and he doesn't really explain why there was no success on the 'scale' of Soundgarden or FNM.

|  IP: Logged
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 01, 2003 09:14     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This "review" could have been written by someone who listened to one minute - hell, 30 seconds - of the opening cut. Hmmm. Maybe the writer was more interested in meeting a deadline and filling up half a column than he was in listening to the music. You know, like music reviewers do. I would have preferred a 2K 'this isn't that good' review from someone who listened to the songs and explained why he didn't like them rather than a 'ya, good - 4K' positive review. This "review" speaks nothing of the band other than 'they coulda been a contender. Yawn.

I give this review one VVF.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 01, 2003 09:25     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree. It seems that albeit flattering at times, a rather lamentful vie of their career. If not for that element, I'd say it was a press release. Virtually nothing to speak of the record, but then again, would it have helped? The best anyone can do is recommend a listen because there's no way on Earth to accurately describe it. I think the 'review' will do just that, get people to give it a listen. That's all you can ask for.
manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted March 01, 2003 09:55     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Voivod beamed the white light of thrash metal through a prism of their own construction"

he he

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan