my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The Video! (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: The Video!
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted March 04, 2003 07:23     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah, I'll second that... just watched the vid twice in a row and I do like it a lot.

I love Piggy's funny face when he does the backing vocals. it's kinda weird, a bit dark, definitely cool.

Snake is back for good!!!

|  IP: Logged
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 04, 2003 08:50     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good looking video. Very retro-metal, if you ask me. Honestly, I'm surprised that Monsieur Newsted isn't displayed a little more prominently. You know, with a blinking arrow over his head that says "Guy from 'Enter Sandman' video". It's more Snake-centric, IMO.
Jeffs
VoivodFan
Member # 164

posted March 04, 2003 09:42     Profile for Jeffs   Email Jeffs     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Exactly what I want to see in a video, the band!!!
I'm much more interested in seeing them, than seeing some special effects.
GREAT VIDEO!!!

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 04, 2003 10:06     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
True , I was just thinking more along the lines of portraying a theme.. mabye the logo too..
Cthon
Member # 156

posted March 04, 2003 22:29     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i reserve my final judgement until i get to see this video on an actual TELEVISION, haha. but before then, i think it rocks, the band dynamic that was filmed reminds me of the videos for Kreators "Betrayer" or Metallicas "One", in other words, 80s thrash videos rock, haha, im lame. i just wish i could see the ILM effects better..
Flots
VoivodFan
Member # 228

posted March 09, 2003 23:31     Profile for Flots   Email Flots     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought the video kicked ass. I don't want to fuckin see Luke Skywalker in it. I just want a top-notch performance --- and that's exactly what was delivered!

To those of you who actually give a shit what the "new" generation of MTV kids think: What the fuck? Why don't we just dress Voivod up in skater-pants and fuckin evil clown masks!!

Voivod
VoivodFan
Member # 222

posted March 10, 2003 00:07     Profile for Voivod   Email Voivod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
See my lengthy post about vintage Voivod videos in another thread...

I didn't much like it at all. The set and clothing is retro, sure, but the hyperactive editing and claustrophobic headshots are very new-school. I might be funny, but I like to actually get a look at what's going on. Piggy's got that gee-whiz high tech guitar, and we could barely make out the damn thing.

Caveat: I watched the highly-compressed 9-meg .wmv version. Doubtless it appears much better on television.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 10, 2003 00:45     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flots:
I thought the video kicked ass. I don't want to fuckin see Luke Skywalker in it. I just want a top-notch performance --- and that's exactly what was delivered!

To those of you who actually give a shit what the "new" generation of MTV kids think: What the fuck? Why don't we just dress Voivod up in skater-pants and fuckin evil clown masks!!

You ain't from around here, are ya? "Fuckin-A"

Flots
VoivodFan
Member # 228

posted March 10, 2003 01:01     Profile for Flots   Email Flots     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod: the compressed version doesn't do the video justice. All the blacks are crushed and the whites blown-out. You gotta see it on a television set --- and I assure you that you will be able to see everything.

As for the editing, I liked it alot. You just can have static shots for such a driving song. And for the close-ups, that seems to be the Voivod-style. The close-ups of Snake are downright fuckin' evil.

In any event, opinions are just opinions.
and... in my opinion, I think its the best Voivod video ever.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 11, 2003 01:49     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flots:

But just mabye in the desperate times that the new kids of today are in,they need a comeback,And a new fashion trend. Its a case of "monkey see-monkey do" out there, ..Just ask ***** *****!! <-edit
Personally i think the spikes and mabye even a halfshaven head would go over big as hell now.(it may have been to advanced before) ? but we may never know...

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted March 11, 2003 09:40     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I personally think it's a great vid. It's glossy yet to the point.
Foot
VoivodFan
Member # 60

posted March 11, 2003 12:42     Profile for Foot   Email Foot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dug it. It actually helped me appreciate the song better. When I had heard it on the sampler my reaction was a severe "meh". Watching this explained the more straight-ahead style. Plus it looked like everyone was having a huge blast performing togethor. That and the trademark Voivod headstock-cam has survived intact. The little touches with the spider are great as well, just a hint of the old-Voivod (kind of like the music, quick glances backwards while progressing quickly forwards).
guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted March 11, 2003 15:01     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Liked the video too.

What guitar is Piggy playing anyway? Never seen a model like that. Thought he played Gibson in recent years...

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 11, 2003 15:31     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's a custom model by a company called 'Born to Rock'. It was mentioned in Tangento's Jason interview.
Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted March 11, 2003 16:58     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I kinda like it too, but damn why don't wee see more of that cool spider? Was it all worth the effort for 5-7 seconds of CG animation?

The video doesn't say "ILM" on it for sure... i'm confused about the whole thing...

or maybe Piggy wasn't even on location that day and ILM had to "CG" him in... so maybe that funky guitar isn't real

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted March 12, 2003 00:32     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
I think the type of guitar is discussed in the new Metal Manaics magazine, I forgot what kind it was. Anyone?

'Corpse, it kinda reminds me of those "synth-guitars" from the mid-eighties that Priest and Maiden had a brief "fling" with. Those were bad.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted March 12, 2003 00:34     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcloud of Deicide:Those were bad.

as in "terrible" btw.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 12, 2003 08:57     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fuck off I love Turbo!
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted March 13, 2003 07:15     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
www.borntorock.com
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 13, 2003 07:22     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What weird and wonderful guitars!

What a fucking dismal website!

satan
VoivodFan
Member # 35

posted March 13, 2003 07:29     Profile for satan   Email satan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember those 80's Roland Synth Guitars.
Mike, our guitarist, had one.
Those were actually pretty cool once you got used to it.

Also, for the record, i really like the new Video.

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted March 15, 2003 16:18     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The cool thing about the video, is the rememberance that Snake is the ultimate front-man! The streamlined pictures were blurry so I could not see the Industrial Light and Magic effects. Jason seemed to stay in the backround and you only got a couple of good looks at him. Piggys guitar is cool like everyone already said. Its gonna be a hell of a show, I should get my tickets today!
April 21st Anaheim House of Blues, (which is the best venue nearby) the place I had hoped Voivod would come.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 15, 2003 16:41     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just d/led the new video, and I like it a lot. Lots of references to old times, sure, especially in their headbanging performance and in Snake's tee, but we're in fuckin' XXI Century! Old videos are cool, but I'd rather see one of my favs breaking into new territory, just like they did. At least it's new territory for them...

For the record: did you notice how mean and evil Jasonic looked on it?

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan