my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The Video! (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: The Video!
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 01, 2003 01:31     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just saw the video for 'We Carry On' as a world premiere on "Uranium" a few minutes ago. I accidentally tuned in just in time to catch the beginning of the show and was able to tape all the interview segments and the video.

As usual, Jason did all the talking, except for when Away chimed in to say that Jason is the best bassist they've ever had .

Did anyone else see it?

|  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 01, 2003 01:44     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WELL?
how the hell was it

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 01, 2003 01:50     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I F*N missed it. no carrier on my satelite. Assuming you got it on vhs ? Yeah how was it ? those graphics are supposed to be real nicey$, Hows the theme ?
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 01, 2003 01:57     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's a fairly straightforward performance type video. Very '80s Judas Priest looking to me. Everyone's in black and Snake's got the leather jacket on. There's walls of amps and bones laying around everywhere (kinda cheesy).

Remember the 'headstock view" you get in the 'Tribal Convictions' video? Well, there's alot of that. Every member has their own version of it. The energy is conveyed well too. The video style is a bit dated. It's quick paced like most Voivod videos and everyone gets equal face time.

Not to get to critical, but I'm wondering what audience this video is trying to appeal to here. I wanna like it though. Going back to watch it again.

manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted March 01, 2003 10:08     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Not to get to critical, but I'm wondering what audience this video is trying to appeal to here."

sour people still living in the eighties ?

haven't seen it

space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted March 01, 2003 13:19     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There was all this talk of how LUCAS film producers were doing work on the video. Was there nothing in the way of special effects worth noting in the video? If they wanted just a standard "ho-humm" regular video they surely could've used somembody else who is less expensive to produce it. I'll keep an eye out and try and see it for myself now.
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 01, 2003 13:27     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No animated voivod graphics by lucas arts or ILM ?
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 01, 2003 16:03     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If I hadn't known ILM was involved, I wouldn't have guessed. There's very little in the way of special effects. There's a couple interesting editing effects and scant appearances by a generated spider (ala the movie 'Runaway'). There are no traces of any Voivod art or graphics, save for Snake's first generation t-shirt. The video is also shot in black and white with "hot spots", like the 'Every Breath You Take' video.

I don't mean to knock the video because I'm just thrilled to see them back in the spotlight again. I was just hoping it would be some Matrix-y/Star Wars-ish type video that would capture the mystique of the band (like 'Tribal' or 'Astronomy' did) and the attention of today's kids. They sorely need music with substance.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 01, 2003 16:28     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was reading this over at chophouse.

IcedVengence

Chophouse Membor
Posted: 2/28/03 8:50:13 pm
Where did ILM come in
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok don't get me wrong but when think that the Vid was done by ILM you woulda thought there would have been lots of special effects throughout the whole vid. not just a little Spider Robot at the end of the vid.
all and all it was a decent vid.
That Guitar was cool. ----------------------

rick
VoivodFan
Member # 39

posted March 01, 2003 20:18     Profile for rick   Email rick     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
...As usual, Jason did all the talking, except for when Away chimed in to say that Jason is the best bassist they've ever had...

and Flo Mounier was the best drummer blacky ever had.

Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted March 02, 2003 06:57     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Awwwwwwww ....... We don't see some Jedi fighting in the video ? WTF then !?

FantasticPlanet
VoivodFan
Member # 169

posted March 02, 2003 08:39     Profile for FantasticPlanet   Email FantasticPlanet     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw the Uranium half hour with Voivod last night. Like others have said, Jason did all the yapping . The video was pretty cool and I like the shimmering camera effects they used. And what about that crazy looking guitar Piggy had, very nice.As far as the comment made by Away concerning Jason being the "best bass player they ever had", well he probably felt obligated to do some back scratching I guess? Jason is solid no doubt but he's no Blacky. They cut the beginning of the video off too. I can't stand the stupid bitch that hosts Uranium, I thought it was funny they didn't allow her to interview them in person. I'd fuck the shit out of her though !!
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 02, 2003 09:21     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe he didn't feel obliged to do it, but said it because he actually thinks that (bearing in mind he doesn't like Blacky much anymore)?
Well, *we* all know who's the best... and that's all that matters really...
Still haven't seen the video.

Twindummy
VoivodFan
Member # 15

posted March 02, 2003 10:05     Profile for Twindummy   Email Twindummy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What are the chances MTV will air the video?
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 03, 2003 08:52     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[QUOTE]Originally posted by manipulator:

sweet! uh...that means us doesn't it?

tattooedsean777
VoivodFan
Member # 128

posted March 03, 2003 15:09     Profile for tattooedsean777   Email tattooedsean777     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have been a long time voivod fan, having not seen the video but a friend(who has no voivod cds) but was going to start now. With the comp I made for him and this video, he is convinced that he must get all of the voivod material.
izgoblin
VoivodFan
Member # 178

posted March 03, 2003 16:12     Profile for izgoblin   Email izgoblin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just downloaded the video and must admit that I'm disappointed. The spider effect was nifty, but I was hoping that with ILM's help, the video would be a cool, eerie experience that would really help grab the attention of the NuMetal crowd. Unfortunately, I don't think this song or the video is going to go over very well with such a crowd.
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 03, 2003 16:42     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by izgoblin:
I just downloaded the video and must admit that I'm disappointed. The spider effect was nifty, but I was hoping that with ILM's help, the video would be a cool, eerie experience that would really help grab the attention of the NuMetal crowd. Unfortunately, I don't think this song or the video is going to go over very well with such a crowd.

I agree. I'm disappointed in the fact that I can tell that this will be a "miss" in attracting new fans. As for me, I'm just glad they are still putting out albums and videos for existing fans to enjoy.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 03, 2003 16:44     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's the link to download the video from "The Bone" website:
http://24.104.40.88/metalZone/voivod.wmv

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 03, 2003 17:40     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I LIKE IT!!!
The bands playing and having a good time. I like the song. Straight forward but cool.

I checked out a bunch of other videos there and the DIO 'Push' is hilarious, at the beginning. The Metallica is so out of sync it look like a Godzilla movie with english dubbed over top.

Twindummy
VoivodFan
Member # 15

posted March 03, 2003 20:04     Profile for Twindummy   Email Twindummy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like it too! Cool. Just a band jamming. Wearing all black. Totally basic. very cool. :0)
manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted March 03, 2003 21:07     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
sweet! uh...that means us doesn't it?

well, if you feel the hat fits, by all means, wear it.

you have to understand that i feel strongly about this album. i don't know what snake went through those last years (as i've basically been shunned for my loyalty to blacky), but this opus speaks very loudly to me, it resonates deep. maybe i'm the only one who can relate as intimately with it, but somehow i feel not. i really feel we're at crossroads right now and this is exactly what i needed to hear. will the general public understand ? i dunno, but i did.

before it was even out.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 04, 2003 00:24     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tattooedsean777:
I have been a long time voivod fan, having not seen the video but a friend(who has no voivod cds) but was going to start now. With the comp I made for him and this video, he is convinced that he must get all of the voivod material.

Job well done tattooed one!!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted March 04, 2003 04:06     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by manipulator:

the 80s? this is where I belong anyway...

(still not too sour though)

quote:
Originally posted by manipulator:
will the general public understand ? i dunno, but i did.
before it was even out.

I think I do get it too Manipulator...
et c'est mieux pour nous...

"Do... or Die"

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 04, 2003 06:59     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool video, man. It's very much like the album - some great little moments randomly placed amongst more obvious ideas. Piggy looks cool doing backing vox! And the face of stink that Jason pulls as he does that little bass run is funny! Nice cut from regular camera onto Piggy's guitar too.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan