my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Great White?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Great White?
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 21, 2003 08:25     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any fans of Great White? Seems like they are... real hot!
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/monde/article/1,151,1062,022003,205897.shtml

|  IP: Logged
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted February 21, 2003 08:37     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, hot. Like the 40+ people who got burned alive and the other survivors, some of whomm walked out with their skin falling off of their arms and faces.

That's a knee-slapper!

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted February 21, 2003 08:48     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
??? Shut up M, you failed a bit at being funny about that.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted February 21, 2003 08:54     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not a Great White fan, but am deeply saddened at what happened.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 21, 2003 09:24     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sorry, I didn't try to be funny. It is very sad, don't get me wrong. I just didn't know that Great White was still existing. Weird way to learn about it.
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted February 21, 2003 09:37     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok. Perhaps i missunderstood it.
I've worked in the Fire dept for a few years and i know what it's like to deal with it, that's why i ignited here.
Anyway, i'm off for a long walk on the lake with Barney Greenaway & the Napalmboys loaded in the walkman. It's a beautiful day here.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 21, 2003 09:52     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This reminds me of the Hetfield accident, in Montreal, when Metallica toured with GNR. He was burned by a pyro effect and it was all over the news on TV back then; we could even see Jason with his Voivod T-Shirt!

What's the name of the missing guitarist?

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 21, 2003 09:55     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vroomfondel:
Anyway, i'm off for a long walk on the lake...

ON the lake???
please tell me it's frozen...

on a serious note, this is very sad news.

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted February 21, 2003 09:58     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ofcourse it's not frozen. I'm Jesus
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 21, 2003 10:53     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is fucking horrible.

Nobody goes to a show to die.

I saw footage of it this morning on the news, the whole place was ablaze in a matter of seconds. This is so fucked up.

WTOS 105.1 (Sugarloaf, Maine) just said that the deathtoll is now at 60 reported deaths. And over 150 injured. Fuck dude.

My thoughts go out to the injured and their families.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 21, 2003 11:17     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vroomfondel:
Ofcourse it's not frozen. I'm Jesus

that's what I was afraid of...
come to my house anytime...
I still got that little crown for you, one with thorns...

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 21, 2003 11:18     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I couldn't sleep last night and I was channel surfing around midnight when they started showing clips on the Vermont news. That was just a horrible, senseless thing that happened. And a good reason to not use pyro in small clubs. Completely fucking insane.

The club techie phoned up the news station to say that no one told him there was going to be pyro and soon as he saw the spark machine shooting at the soundproofing at the back wall he freaked. Within 20 sec. there were flames and he ran to the sound booth to get a fire extinguisher. With a minute it was a wall of fire and he knew it was too late.

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted February 21, 2003 12:18     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This very sad, and my thoughts are with the victims and their families.
Having done some pyros myself, there is lots of hazards that you have to not overlook.
Specially went it is indoor and in a club. But this was no pyros to used on a small stage. Sorry but this is club owner and utimately band member's responsability.

I know first hand how dangerous it can be since we did accidently burn a fan once with a mobile smoke machine in texas, and one of our crew blew himself up in the early days. Half of his hair was burned.

VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted February 21, 2003 12:53     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The band and the club owners are going to end up in numerous lawsuits, no doubt. The club is partly owned by a local news reporter (I live in the Boston/Rhode Island area, so I knew the guy as soon as I read his name - Jeff Derderian). Ironically, he had just broadcast a report on club safety after the incident in Chicago where all those people died.

Turns out that I know someone who was there last night. A guy I jammed with once (a very talented guitarist) got out alive, but his face was burned. Don't know how severely. Sounds like he was one of the "lucky" ones.

I just don't get why the band would bring pyro on the road with them, knowing that they'd be playing what are essentially big living rooms. Bet this forces the rewriting of 'pyro' laws even in the big arenas and outdoor places - laws that were already pretty restrictive.

St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted February 21, 2003 13:29     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is tragic.
It really could easily have been me or you in there. Different band... Different venue perhaps. Pyros should not be used in small clubs! My thoughts go out to all the victims and their families. Today is a very, very sad day for us all.

St.

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted February 21, 2003 13:41     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted February 21, 2003 14:09     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
I never even thought about looking to see where the exits were in a small club.

Heh me too but now it won't be the same i think . To me , the band isn't responsible , it's all the bar owner's fault . It is his responsibility to tell the band to not use pyros in his club for security reasons . Does the club had emergency exits ? IMO , Mr Derderian , you're fucked .

To all the victims , RIP . And i wish alot of courage for those who have been injured .

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 21, 2003 14:30     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The club had four exits and was up to code with all necessary permits. The band didn't have a permit to use pyro. They're saying 75 people may have died now. I'm sure the courts will figure out who is at fault but that's still not going to bring back 75 people.
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted February 21, 2003 14:32     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The band and the club owners are essentially deflecting blame onto each other at this point. The band says the club said 'okay', the owners say that they never approved it. Who knows who's telling the truth. One telling indictment against the band, though, is a quote I read from the owner of the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ who claims that Great White just played there and used pyro even though they were told not to.
Randolph Mantooth
VoivodFan
Member # 168

posted February 21, 2003 14:42     Profile for Randolph Mantooth   Email Randolph Mantooth     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's definitely finger pointing going on here. Man, the death toll has reached 85. Russell is supposed to be interviewed by Connie Chung live on television tonight. He may want to rethink that. These folks are in big trouble.
DrNerve
VoivodFan
Member # 199

posted February 21, 2003 15:09     Profile for DrNerve   Email DrNerve     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From what it sounds like so far it seems to be the band's fault I hope they receive multiple manslaughter charges. How stupid can you be to have Pyro in a small club? I am not a fan of pyro used in concerts in the first place, save it for outdoor fireworks displays and movie stunts. My heart goes out the victims of this tragedy and their families. I heard the death total might increase above 86.
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted February 22, 2003 00:13     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is one of the saddest stories I can remember.
I have spent many hours of my life in clubs just like that one,
and as was mentioned before, it never even occurred to me ONCE to know of and plan an escape route.

I also never even imagined that a club could be an inferno inside of three minutes.
That is beyond frightening.

Looking at all of the unsuspecting faces of all those people,
many of them doomed - is deeply saddening.
Deeply.

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted February 22, 2003 03:50     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here are the demands made by the band prior to the show... Quite a few pages though.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/greatwhite1.html

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan