my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » pardon my french but...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pardon my french but...
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 21, 2003 05:04     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...I'm really freaking out for you Nia...

"Montréal, une ville sécuritaire. Pourtant deux femmes sur trois ont peur de sortir le soir. Partant de ce constat, la métropole québécoise a fait de ce handicap un atout. Depuis dix ans, le sentiment d'insécurité des femmes est utilisé comme un repère car "ce qui est bon pour elles, profite à l'ensemble de la population". Hérités des mouvements féministes des années 70, des dizaines de groupes de femmes dictent aujourd'hui les conduites à suivre pour améliorer la sécurité de leur ville."

...unless you're part of the latter group

|  IP: Logged
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 21, 2003 05:09     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, OK...
Babel Fish translation...

Montreal, a sedentary city. However two women out of three are afraid to leave the evening. On the basis of this report, the metropolis québécoise made of this handicap an asset. For ten years, the feeling of insecurity of the women has been used as a reference mark bus "what is good for them, benefits the unit from the population". Inherited the feminist movements of the Seventies, of tens of groups of women dictate today the conduits to follow to improve safety of their city.

[edit] I left the txt untouched, it's better than I'd thought...

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 24, 2003 15:28     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for your concern Outcast. I do consider myself a feminist, but I'm not part of any group. I haven't really thought about my personal safety too much in Mtl. Probably because I don't live alone so I rarely go out at night by myself. Actually, I might be more worried if I lived in France, with all of those rapes happening in the suburbs. That's some heavy shit that's going down.

When I was in my 20s and lived alone I used to go to shows in really horrible neighbourhoods by myself (I would hook up with friends at the venue), as in total junkie, prostitution hell hole type places - this wasn't in Mtl though. In retrospect that was probably stupid and I could have asked someone to go with me, but at the time I thought it would be a wimpy thing to do. I guess I was lucky, but I always tried to be as safe as possible, not walk on deserted streets, etc. Having to worry about personal safety really is the sucky part about being a girl, but whatever, you just deal. Or maybe women are just more openly concerned, because men are attacked often too. Just the other day some drunk guy was beaten with beer bottles into unconciousness by a group on St-Laurent (which is a street with a lot of bars on it). So you never know but being aware of your surroundings is half the battle. One of my brothers is 6'4 and well trained in martial arts and fighting (he used to go to fight clubs on the weekends) but even he carries pepper spray because he'd rather deal with someone in a non-physical way first (and because he's big he'd probably end up charged with assault).

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted February 25, 2003 01:52     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I used to "roam the streets" so to speak back when I was younger, at night and usually alone. I even woke up on the side of a building once with a severe headache, obviously I was hit in the back of the head by some asshole. I still had my wallet on me so I guess they just did it for the hell of it.
When I look back I was VERY stupid for being out alone and hanging out with runaway youths and transients drinking beer (no drugs). The police even arrested a bunch of people I was hanging with for being underage, I could have went down for public intoxication.
That was very stupid shit to do here in Houston, where you can get shot for being around the wrong crowd, or just shot for no reason.
Sorry if my rant is out of place, I'm not a female but my point is the streets are unsafe for ANYONE.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 25, 2003 15:53     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think it's out of place at all NI.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan