my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Who's a vinyl freak!?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who's a vinyl freak!?
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 21, 2003 01:09     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How many of you all are still vinyl freaks? I for one still prefer the tunrtable over the cd player, although I admit that I rip much of my vinyl to cd for convienience' sake... However, nothing has ever replaced the satifaction I get from spinning a high-quality pressing of my favorite black disc! I still think my Killing Technology record sounds better than the cd!

Chime in all you obsolete fuckers out there! Who else keeps a turntable and collects records still!?!?!

This is what's I gots!

Well, this is a pic I took from Ebay, but it's the same model I own! Love that Bang & Olufsen! Raising a beer to records collectors! X-D out!

PS - I'm also a Super-8 film freak too, but that's a whole different topic.

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 21, 2003 01:22     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi XD, i have had all the Voivod, CF, Venom etc. vinyl. Still collect the Voivod stuff but i have most of it now. Except from AR and further i do not have.

But my turntable is thrown out long time ago. I keep records for looking at them and for fuck's sake. The Voivod albums i probably never get rid off.......

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 21, 2003 04:08     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah... my turntable is out of order at the mo' but I'll fix that whenever I can. there are too many vynils I haven' heard in a long time...

and I'll still collect vynils for my collection when I do have the opportunity.
I badly missed one lately for an '84 original european pressing of "Ride the Lightning" - yes, the one with the green sleeve... mighty rare in this condition.

it was sold a few hours before I went to pick it up...

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted February 21, 2003 04:33     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If I'd been arsed to set up any webspace, I'd show you but...

I've been meaning to ask this hi-fi question myself - I reckon it deserves an audio-nerd corner however.

I've got a Thorens TD 160k, heavily modified with rewiring and a new arm, case and structural bits and bobs.

Next I need a Phono amp, as the one on my amp is a little rugged. I'm thinking: "valves"! Now that I've heard them, I really want one.

My deck - now - blows my cd player out of the water - and that wasn't cheap.

Once you've seen TNT-audio.com it's difficult not to be intrigued by DIY hifi.
I've saved myself a bloody fortune in "Snake-oil". No offense meant, Snake.

How many of you have the hifi bug?

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 21, 2003 05:26     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Vinyl rules. My record deck is still out of commision, but I'm constantly buying new vinyl all the time. There's a much bigger rush at having those 12" in your hands compared to a cd. I guess the girls were right all along - size does matter!!

I have all the Vod vinyl upto and including AR (cheers Pup!). I've heard rumour of the TOL vinyl but I've never seen it. I don't think any of the Eric era stuff was released on record. If it was I need it!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 21, 2003 05:54     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I sold a lot of my vinyl a few years ago, and tossed out all the crap vinyl that I had accumulated while working in a record store for years. I was running out of room between 1500 lps, and 3000 cds, so something had to go. I sold most of my rare metal vinyl to other collectors and sold some stuff on Ebay. I still probably have 500 left, and once in a while pull something out. I might create a site to sell the ones that I feel I can part with, but still collect certain bands (King Crimson, Porcupine Tree) on vinyl. PT still releases limited edition vinyl every now and then which is cool. This cool band Hangnail released a couple 7 inchers which were great! There are somethings that you just can't get rid of even if you don't listen to them...my Deep Purple, Crack The Sky, and a lot of the heavy metal.

Yeah, it's great to have the big art work but they do take up room. I'm not a audiophile when it comes to equipment, and only have an old Technics Direct Drive Automatic SL-D5 which has been good to me for the last 15+ years.

Max1334
VoivodFan
Member # 202

posted February 21, 2003 06:33     Profile for Max1334   Email Max1334     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm a vinyl maniac too
But many of the new records came out only in cd version (((
Some old friends have told me that many years ago, came out a bootleg vynil of voivod...it is real?!
cheers, Max 13-34

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 21, 2003 06:46     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
I have all the Vod vinyl upto and including AR (cheers Pup!).

including the '92 best of?
I heard this was mighty rare too!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 21, 2003 07:56     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oops, Nah, I don't have the best of one. I've never seen that either.
Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted February 21, 2003 09:55     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not a vinyl fan except for the cover art, because my first stereo was not good enough to play it at Hi-Fi (all that noise, the dirt etc. etc.) so when CD come out in Italy I switched to it immediatly.

Hey BumEggs if I'm not wrong I heard that the Thorens is like the Ferrari of vinyl player, I'd like to hear some music with that one for comparing it with the cd quality (I never had the chance to do that).

I like Hi-Fi but for my house it will be a waste of money, I listen to music mainly when I'm at the computer...
Instead in my car I set up a middle Hi-Fi sound system which I enjoy very much when I made medium distance run with my CD compilation of Thrash of the 80'.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 21, 2003 09:55     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Still got some vinyl. Stuff like an original edition of Beatles' Revolver, and some other rarities. Voivod? W&P, Roar, DH, NF, AR and TOL. Once I saw the Best Of (German edition, just like my TOL), actually thought of buying it, but it had no new songs at all, so I passed. If only I knew...
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 21, 2003 15:25     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm a total vinyl whore. Matter of fact, i just bought another today. Check it out:

Lost Machine / Jack Luminous 12" clear vinyl single

Hehe. And the dude listed it as a RUSH album. haha. (Cuz it's written Rush on the jacket... guess he didnt get the joke.)

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted February 21, 2003 18:31     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Vinyl addict here too. I have the first 5 'Vods on vinyl. My collection of Black-Gold disc-shaped nuggets is approximately reaching 1100 now. Lots of shit still.

My Turntable/Altar is a Technics SL-1200 MarkII. Armed with Denon DL-110 Cartridge/Groove Stroker and played through Denon PMA-1500R Amplifier/Orgasmatizer. Philips speakers too.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted February 21, 2003 21:19     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bigtime vinyl freak here!!

Also, as I was telling St. on the H2CF site, I'm featured on a "tribute to the Accused" double 7-inch with a band called "Misery Seed", I'm playing 2nd guitar on "Take My Time"...the double 7-inch is cool to have for novelty's sake, but other than that, it sounds kinda like shit..I wish they also could've pressed some CD's as well! 4 bands per side on 33, and not ENOUGH grooves for it!

alicecooper
VoivodFan
Member # 204

posted February 22, 2003 02:11     Profile for alicecooper   Email alicecooper     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Vinyl is my life. I've not bought a new cd in over a year and will not,(new Voivod the exception!)
I reached my goal- Mint cond holland pressing of The Outer Limits. Took YEARS of searching and paid $250 for it, worth every penny.
New goal-Every pressing of Voivod from every country on vinyl. Give me a few years and I'll unleash the complete voivod vinyl discogrphy.
Anyone intrested in learning more about quality vinyl play back hang out at www.vinylasylum.com

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 22, 2003 09:01     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Alice, there's a brazilian release of Roar, on Woodstock records. It's quite rare, mine is an import.
alicecooper
VoivodFan
Member # 204

posted February 22, 2003 16:37     Profile for alicecooper   Email alicecooper     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Slaytanic thanks for the info. Is it a official release or a pirate.
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted February 24, 2003 04:57     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helldriver:

Hey BumEggs if I'm not wrong I heard that the Thorens is like the Ferrari of vinyl player, I'd like to hear some music with that one for comparing it with the cd quality (I never had the chance to do that).

It's very good, made much better by my tweaking (hopefully), but there are much better decks out there. (Linn LP12, other Thorens models, loads of others.)
It is much better than most of the unsprung decks your charged a fortune for at most hifi dealers nowadays.

They're are creeping up in value on eBay but you can still get one for under £100.

It does sound fucking brilliant with well pressed vinyl - The Outer Limits isn't great through my system, The others are.
Voices are where it really stands out.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 24, 2003 08:45     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alicecooper:
Slaytanic thanks for the info. Is it a official release or a pirate.

It's official. It was released on a pack of Noise licensed albums, such as CF's To Mega Therion and Helloween's Walls Of Jericho.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan