my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » From the band's perspective..... (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: From the band's perspective.....
St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted February 21, 2003 13:22     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
I've actually never even heard anything from King Crimson.

Actually me too...
But I'd like to know more...

|  IP: Logged
DrNerve
VoivodFan
Member # 199

posted February 21, 2003 15:23     Profile for DrNerve   Email DrNerve     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I totally argree with you MrMustard about Crimson. They are one of the fews bands that reinvents themselves over and over. They never tried to be part of any scene. I myself am not a fan of any scene of music. I think their is good music and bad music. I used to be mostly into metal. Its funny I was into Metallica around Justice and then I heard Voivod. That changed everything. I also got into Primus early on (now they bore me) and discovered both bands were influenced by Crimson. I started to get into Crimson slowly. I was more of a fan of heavy brutal music at the time, but slowly I started getting really diverse into a lot of diffrent music because of bands like Crimson and Voivod. Now I really love to listen to Crimson and have just about everything from them.Power to Believe is one of their best studio releases in a long time. I still like Voivod a lot and the new album is good. Its not as dissonant or experimental as I would like but it has really grown on me. I like the songs and passion in their music though. Its great to have Snake back.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 21, 2003 15:41     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by piggysMYgod:
[QB]we'll leave that to you noitall ...QB]

Oh, gross!!! No thanks pMg, groupie-dom doesn't appeal to me on any level, so you'll have to get another volunteer.

I don't know Mean Mr.M., I'm still not sold on the idea that people shouldn't comment on artistic product. The artist certainly has the choice to agree or disagree with commentary. If you simply want to sheild yourself from any sort of criticism (keeping in mind that crit. is both good and bad) then a job in public life is probably not a good choice. An artist can chose to not have a forum, guestbook, etc. on the internet, but if people wish to discuss an artistic product, that's their business.

Discussion of the arts is not a new thing, the salons in Europe during the Enlightenment (1700s) effectively established a market for the arts, which in turn allowed the middle class and bourgeoisie unprecedented access to artistic property - and artists themselves were given a greater outlet for independent thought (instead of just creating art that the ruling class wanted). The end result today is that people like Fripp can create whatever they want.

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted February 21, 2003 18:19     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I absolutely agree with you Noitall.
I think the rub for Fripp is that the negative criticism that his band gets seems to come from people who call themselves fans. I think he is making a logical point and asking that his audience act logically for a change. For example, if you do not like our new album (or the last three, or the last six, which tends to be the case with King Crimson), then face it and act like it. You are not a fan of King Crimson any more. So act like a non fan. They are not a band that plays a greatest hits concert. They play songs that suit the band as it exists at the moment. Therefore, act like a non fan would. Do not actively seek out bands for the purpose of pointing out their faults for the purpose of elevating your status as a "True Fan" (in the know). This borders on the side of unethical. If you don't like it, please do not come nor buy the records. This sounds like a reasonable request. If you are no longer a fan, than act like it. For example, I am not a fan of Disturbed. And guess what, I don't buy their albums. I don't go to their concerts. And I don't post at their website. And if for some odd reason I found myself at a Disturbed show (let's say they opened up for Voivod or something) I wouldn't take any effort to let it be known how poor of a band I think they are. This is how a reasonable non fan acts. This isn’t to say that a person shouldn’t be vocal about things they don’t like. But to go out of your way is a little absurd.

I don't think he is at all against criticism in any sense. It's just odd that their most frequent and vicious critics are ones that go to every show, buy every album, and point out how it's not as good as Red, or Discipline, or In the Court of the Crimson King. I think the point is clear and reasonable: "Get it through your head, you are not a fan of this band. Please stop coming!" As a fan and concert goer of King Crimson, I wish they would too. It absolutely distracts from the performance. All you hear is bickering before, after, and between each song from the audience.
I know a few people here are in bands and I think you'd agree with me. I'd much rather play to a crowd of 10 enthusiastic people, than a club jam packed with people who are just there to be disappointed.
I don't know if Voivod is the same, but I know for sure that when King Crimson performs, they never do a "best of" set. You always get "new" stuff. You always here the bulk of the new album, and possibly even stuff newer than that. They only revisit past material when it suits the bands lineup. My point is, it should be way obvious that if you don't like King Crimson's latest album (s), you shouldn't go to the concert. You'll only be disappointed there too.

I don’t know if we see eye to eye on the topic of art, but I get your point about “ruling class art”. I definitely don’t want to fall in that category. That’s an extreme that I see is in error. But I also think it’s wrong to say that everything is art. I see it like this…
There’s:
good art,
art,
bad art,
non art,
anti art,
and other.

I think to few people today do not allow for the last two categories. I saw a man on cable not too long ago defecating on a canvas as a means of “expressing” himself claiming his outcome as art. I don’t think there can be a clearer example of anti-art. After all, one can express themselves without being artistic. But that’s another argument, isn’t it. I’ll stop here. Sorry for dribbling……..

Cthon
Member # 156

posted February 21, 2003 18:28     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
if fish tacos are your favorite food, then you _are_ a true fan.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan