my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » From the band's perspective..... (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: From the band's perspective.....
MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted February 20, 2003 13:46     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought I'd share a portion of Robert Fripp's (King Crimson) diary that I read with the Voivod fans. While reading it, I recognized a certain parallel. I'm not posting this to knock anyone here, I honestly thought that you'd enjoy the read and perspective. I did. Here it is:

"The first day of winding up the Crimson Beast of Terror in preparation for unleashing it on the world…….One of the joys of preparing for a Crimson tour, is that "True Fans" are already reliably negative, hostile & insulting, and posting……

….But, for those True Fans who are already disappointed, even before the beginning of rehearsals, the course of action should be clear: this is not a band for you. True Fans can choose the band they patronise, but the band is not in a position to select its audience. This is clearly unfair. Life is hard enough already, so better to be kind to yourself primarily; and do us a favour, secondarily: take your business, ill-manners & poor attitude elsewhere and give them to a more grateful artist."

|  IP: Logged
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 20, 2003 14:17     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for posting that MMM, it gave me a lot to think about. My first question was "What is a true fan?" I wasn't sure so I did a search on Google to see what other people thought.

Here's The Rules for Being a True Fan. This is for the Backstreet Boys but you can substitute Voivod where applicable:
(sorry it's so long, but a lot goes into being a True Fan)

1.) A TRUE fan can only like either, Nick, Mig, or AJ. [sub Piggy, Away, Snake & Jasonic]

2.) TRUE fans never give up, even when the odds are against them. [release of Angel Rat] That means if the BsB are driving away in their tour bus, you'll throw yourself in front of that bus before you let it get away. Pshh what's a barwire fence? Nothin that's going to keep you from [Voivod may be in a van, not a bus, don't let that stop you]

3.) A TRUE fan must at all times show mad love for the BsB. Whether it's public humiliation by wearing one of your 25 BsB shirts or if it's buying a teen magazine. [kerrang anyone?]

4.) TRUE BsB fans always stick up for their babies. When some GUY starts to make fun of them by calling them a faggot or a no talent homo, a TRUE BsB fan will deck em and then kick them where it counts.

5.) All TRUE fans must like or hate everything their fave BsB likes or hates. AJ hates clowns, you=terrified of them. Mig likes Jim Carey. Wow he's you favorite actor~!

6.) A TRUE BsB fan hates Nsync. No TRUE fan would ever like a cleptoe no talent bunch of pussies like Nsync. How could you? They bad mouth your babies and try and out do them, Nsync=INCUBUSES.
[Sub Metallica for Nsync]

7.) Speaking of Incubuses, a TRUE BsB fan hates that mofo slut Britney Spears. That no talent bitch dissed your babies just because she was pissed that the only reason her CD sold was cuz there were BsB samples on it. Britney Spears=Sucubus.

9.) TRUE fans must have their room plastered with the BsB's faces. No wall uncovered, no door exposed.

10.) A TRUE BsB fan, when meeting the BsB, must first scream in their ears and then attach themself to their hip.

11.) All TRUE fans must wear slut clothes that exposes their "assests." After all the BsB like to see a little skin, just look at their girlfriends.
[get out the tight jeans, guys]

12.) A TRUE fan must, when attending a concert, wear her favorite BsB's favorite color. Nick fans break out those green belly shirts. AJ fans you'll light up his life in those yellow shank shorts.
[red short shorts all 'round, you too h.]

13.) All TRUE BsB fans must buy anything and everything that has anything, even slightly, to do with the Backstreet Boys. Now this means crawling to daddy for his hard earn cash. But just think of your father as the Bank of Daddy, after all the BsB's management does.

14.) A TRUE BsB fan must always celebrate the BsB's birthdays. When Feburary 20th rolls around you had better get out your tastey bake ovens, blow up the balloons, and break out the strimmers cuz Brian is expecting one hell of a B-day party. So what if he's not there, those trival things don't matter to TRUE fans.
[there's a thread here on the forum with the bdays, take notes]

15.) All TRUE BsB fans must know where the BsB are at ALL times. If they're on their world tour you had better know what country is being entertained by your Nicky. If they're going to be on Rikki Lake, Rosie, or Leno you had better know at least 2 months ahead of time.

16.) Knowing where the BsB comes in handy for TRUE BsB fans because a TRUE fan would be everywhere their babies are. Oceans, mountains, volcanoes, are just a few things a TRUE BsB fan would cross just to see AJ hump the stage for the millionth time.

17.) Of course a TRUE fan must also have a complete set of all BsB TV apperances, from a 5 sec shot of them to a 5 hour countdown, a TRUE fan would have all.

------------

This description of a True Fan by M. Sipher was my favourite:

quote:
"True Fan" is a bullshit term used by insecure, narrow-minded people acting holier-than-thou, trying to make themselves feel better by putting themselves up on the "True Fan" pedestal while kicking others off. There is no such thing as a "True Fan". There is only "Fan". Any measurement of fandom is arbitrary and personal AT BEST.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 20, 2003 14:31     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
King Kula is such a true fan....
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted February 20, 2003 14:36     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

BTW, that person doesn't know grammar. The correct plural of 'Incubus' is 'Incubi'. How can they be a true fan if they didn't know that!?

St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted February 20, 2003 14:57     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm... True fan to me is someone who stands behind the band or artist in good times and bad. Like it or not.

St.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 20, 2003 15:00     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What do you mean by 'stands behind' St. M?
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted February 20, 2003 15:52     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
POST DELETED.

R.I.P. King Kula

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted February 20, 2003 16:03     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, you're a real diehard Kula...
St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted February 20, 2003 16:53     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
What do you mean by 'stands behind' St. M?

Ummm. I don't know...
or...Gives it to the band from behind... Whether they like it or not? LOL! Oh gawd...My bad...

Just kidding! hahahah...

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 20, 2003 17:23     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula:
Can any of you beat THAT? hehehe!

Yes.
I speak french. Ha!

And you're also an idiot.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted February 20, 2003 19:17     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"...the idiot walks along the canvas..."
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted February 20, 2003 22:56     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula:
"...the idiot walks along the canvas..."

haha!! Nice one, fucking awesome!

piggysMYgod
VoivodFan
Member # 158

posted February 21, 2003 01:43     Profile for piggysMYgod   Email piggysMYgod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love there music ...therefore I m a true fan!!!
and i have three tattoos of aways art on me!!
either i m stupid(which i wouldnt deny!!) or I m a true fan..
oh ya .. the only fourm I 'm on is THIS ONE !!..which is VOIVODFAN.com so i m a true fan

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 21, 2003 04:59     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i was a member of the Iron Gang back in the day, this makes me a TRUER fan than ya'll.

ha!

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted February 21, 2003 05:08     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
...AJ fans you'll light up his life in those yellow shank shorts.
[red short shorts all 'round, you too h.]

Hahaha! Imagine a fan meeting...or on 2nd thought, don't do that

MMM, that's good stuff. I recently read a similar article written by a famous computer games developer. He also made an interesting observation: he said that once you've become 'established' by releasing a hit game, there will be "fans" who will always compare your latest creation to the first "superior" product, and always find the new stuff inferior to that. They will always whine about the developer "betraying them" no matter how great games he produces. In other words, they want you to make the same game again and again but it must still be different and better than the previous one every time. A bit paradoxal, eh?!?

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 21, 2003 05:15     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My band's demo got mistaken for the new Voivod album. That makes me the truest fan of all. Ptttffffffft.

For 'true fan' read all those dicks on ****.com slagging off jason for leaving metallica. "oooohhhh... whine cry I'm not listening to ur gay band gaysonic coz I'm too fucking trooo". Fucking bullshit. I don't see anything as fucking braindead going on from Voivod fans. The only thing I'm a true-fan of (if anything) is riffs. Doesn't matter which band has them as long as they make my ears bleed. March Forth!

As for those red shorts... Dammit! I'd nearly forgotten. Time to scour out my minds eye with acid drenched brillo pads again. Sigh....

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 21, 2003 05:20     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
March Forth!

you sure mean "March 4th"...

PS.
the riff thing is well stated h.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 21, 2003 06:03     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great post MMM I didn't know the Frippster was posting a diary again. He always has a way with words...most geniuses do.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 21, 2003 06:44     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Outcast:
you sure mean "March 4th"...

PS.
the riff thing is well stated h.

Funnily enough, the I read somwhere that the European release is March 3rd (which I believe as most records get a release in the UK on a Monday). Can't remember where I saw it now, think it was on chophouse somewhere. But Amazon.co.uk still seem to think it's the4th. Could it be us Europeans finally get something first?!!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 21, 2003 07:00     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Funnily enough, the I read somwhere that the European release is March 3rd (which I believe as most records get a release in the UK on a Monday). Can't remember where I saw it now, think it was on chophouse somewhere. But Amazon.co.uk still seem to think it's the4th. Could it be us Europeans finally get something first?!!

indeed, each and every online store I've checked give march 3rd as release date...

3-3-03 is more symbolic than 4-3-03...

so do we have to transform the motto from march forth until march 4th to march forw'd until march 3rd???

Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted February 21, 2003 08:03     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got a mail from chophouse where there was written that the release date for europe is the 3/3/03...

Oh and for the fans question I have to say that if the critics are constructive it's a good thing (you would be more happy if anyone say that your work is good whatever thing you do? Like --cough-- the young --cough-- Metallica's --cough-- fans) it depends by the competence of the fans, and I think most of the Voivod fans are very intelligent.

The Voivods fans are used to listen to a very good music and after these years of wait we espect a very good album, there are different ways to explain this need of Voivod's music, one for each type of fans personality...

But I'm sure that all of us the 3 and the 4 of march will be in the music shops to buy the new record and later on the stage to support Voivod live!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 21, 2003 09:23     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helldriver:
But I'm sure that all of us the 3 and the 4 of march will be in the music shops to buy the new record and later on the stage to support Voivod live!

undoubtedly, runner of the hell road, undoubtedly...

march forw'd until march 3rd...

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 21, 2003 11:27     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by St. Michael:

Ummm. I don't know...
or...Gives it to the band from behind... Whether they like it or not? LOL! Oh gawd...My bad...

Just kidding! hahahah...

LOL! So.... a true fan is a groupie?
So who's gonna put out for Voviod?

piggysMYgod
VoivodFan
Member # 158

posted February 21, 2003 12:59     Profile for piggysMYgod   Email piggysMYgod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
we'll leave that to you noitall ...i d say i m a sakira groupie but i coulnt get close to her...and i hate her music... hmm maybe bjork... or...kelly osbourne.......:X..
if i bang them does that mean i m a groupie?? no thanx....(id bang sakira)but who wouldnt??????

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted February 21, 2003 13:01     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the term True Fan was tongue in cheek. I’ve only been to one Voivod show, so I don’t know if it’s the case with them, but I’ve been to quite a few King Crimson shows, and it’s amazing; the majority of the audience (at least here in Los Angeles) is there talking about how they are not as good as they used to be. Or “this band is no where near as talented as the 80’s lineup, or the 70’s lineup, or the original lineup”. And every fan of a particular decade seems to think he’s a truer fan than the next guy and therefore is in a position to put down any current version of KC. I don’t think that Fripp has the least bit problem with a person not liking his band or posting about it, but to continue to show up to shows and buy records and post at the fan sites when you don’t like the current album just for the sole purpose of bashing and pointing out how they suck is quite pathetic. I think he’s inviting those people to realize it’s OK to say that you are no longer a fan of the band. The band is what it is today. Are you a fan of it? If you are not, than you are no longer a King Crimson fan. Therefore, please do not attend a concert or post about a band that you are not a fan of. Get it? I think the point is well made. If you only like the older material of a fan, then you WERE a fan of the band. Or to be more accurate, you are a fan of a band that no longer exists (even if includes the same members).
I think it’s obvious that some of the reviewers and concert goers of King Crimson are guilty. Not because they give unfavorable reviews, but because of the tone of the review. KCs new stuff may not be the best thing ever played by four musicians (although I happen to think that they keep reinventing themselves in a way that no other band has shown since the Beatles and Miles Davis), but when someone keeps referring to past albums, and says that they are terrible and they should hang it up; well, that’s just not an honest criticism. A particular album may not be liked, but you can never accuse King Crimson of being too old, or terrible song writers. That’s just not true. I think it would be considered a favor to Fripp if those people just stopped coming to those shows and buying their albums. It makes no since to keep showing up! Get over it. “This band is not for you.”
Way to go Fripp!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan