my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » H

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: H
JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted February 18, 2003 14:26     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
how did the Mastodon show go?
 |  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 19, 2003 05:05     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It was cool man. I've spoken to people who went to the London and Nottingham shows, as well as the Milton Keynes gig that I went to, and they all say that the MK gig was the worst one, but it was still cool. The crowd was a bit sparse and full of 12 year olds trying to get off with each other in the corner (it was valentines day, and I don't think there's much else to do in that town!) but that left plenty of room down the front to check out the bands! Mastadon were really tight, but they looked like they wanted more of a crowd to feed off. I spoke to the drummer during High On Fire's set, and he pretty much confirmed that. A good oportunity to see a cool band up close, but I wish I'd been to the Nottingham show. That venue is tiny and by all accounts they destroyed the place. At least I got to hear them play that Thin Lizzy cover. Can't remember what the fuck it's called now. Brain is too fuzzy from last night's drinking session. It'll come to me later. But yeah - good show.
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted February 19, 2003 06:36     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Next time you chat with them ask them to pop in merry Finland too, willya?

I envy you because I think Mastodon are the most interesting group I've heard in a few years. Thanks to this board (I think it was Nate who first recommended them) I got introduced to their music.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 19, 2003 07:09     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah - it was this board where I first heard of them too. Another reason why this place is so cool. I guess that not many bands tour in Finland. Is it far for you to travel to anywhere that bands regularly go through? Sorry - my geography sucks!
JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted February 19, 2003 11:33     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
H,
wasn't the lizzy song "the emerald"?

Väinämöinen
have you heard of maple cross? They're fellow countrymen of yours, apparently they're playing here in the uk soon.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 19, 2003 11:34     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JETHRO:
H, wasn't the lizzy song "the emerald"?

That's the fella! Cheers!

JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted February 19, 2003 12:39     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can't beat a bit of ol' Philo can ya.

"and if the boys wanna fight, you betta let 'em" - classic.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted February 19, 2003 16:32     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Saw 'em last Sunday in Tilburg (no sleep 'til Burg, lame, isn't it?). They ROCKED!!! Great. Loved the video projections in the background too. High On Fire played after them. 1st degree ASS-KICK MMEETTAALL!!!
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted February 19, 2003 16:59     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey H, since this thread has gotten your attention, did you ever play in a death metal band? A guy I was talking to at the Iron Maiden BB mentioned he was a fan of Hangnail, so I said that you posted over here and he replied:

"He's got one of the best quotes in rock history attributed to him too....

"Orange fucking Goblin baby".

Amen to that.....

Didn't he used to be in an death metal band called Decomposed? "

So? Did ya?

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted February 19, 2003 21:32     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mastodon covers "Emerald"? Damn. I need
to hear that. How was High on Fire?

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 20, 2003 04:39     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nuc - you're source is right. Decomposed was a band I started in 1990 (after leaving a band called Lord of Putrefaction - now known better as Electric Wizard. Ooops!). Decomposed became Collapse who split up just after I got asked to join Hangnail. That Goblin quote came about when I introduced them at the Dynamo festival as "Orange Fucking Goblin Baby". They ended up putting it on thier fucking t-shirts. That's was pretty funny. I think the Goblin lads are a bit sick of it now. They get it chanted at them everywhere they go.

LD - I wasn't too impressed with HOF. I've seen them be a lot more rocking, but saying that, it wasn't the best atmosphere in the world anyway.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted February 21, 2003 04:07     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe, that's a funny story H!

Jethro, I've got to admit I've managed to stay completely unaware of Maple Cross until this day. Wait...the one inside my mind tells me I've read something about them...hang on, I'll search the net...

Found it! Here's an interview from Metal-rules.com:

"In your opinion, what style of metal would you say best describes what you play?

I´m not very good at this. I´m sure there're people out there who know to which genre every single metal band belongs to, but I don´t know. Anyways, it´s metal with touches of thrash, death and traditional heavy metal. I´m afraid that´s the best I can do.

Who have been some of your main influences?

Slayer, VoiVod and Iron Maiden are the most important ones, but lot of 80s and 90s metal bands have influenced us. There´s just too many of them to mention here."

Read the rest
here.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted February 21, 2003 06:28     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
I guess that not many bands tour in Finland. Is it far for you to travel to anywhere that bands regularly go through? Sorry - my geography sucks!

We're Sweden's eastern neighbours, and it's relatively cheap to get to Stockholm. But lo, I am a family man whose leisure time is sparse and whose pouch is full of holes, so I usually see only a few gigs a year. BTW, it's no wonder bands from the States don't find their way here, because even you Brits don't know where Finland is, hahaha! *tries to look brave, drops a tear secretly*
I'm living in a hypercube called Finland so to speak . Well, at least we got some good domestic bands. And then there's always the CDs...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan