my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Jason: "Metallica are a Joke"

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jason: "Metallica are a Joke"
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted February 12, 2003 08:13     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We knew this already, but thought i would post it for shits & giggles.

From Blabbermouth.

JASON NEWSTED: 'METALLICA Are A Joke!' - Feb. 12, 2003

Ex-METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted has slammed his former bandmates over their decision to tour this summer with LINKIN PARK and LIMP BIZKIT, calling the move "an obvious cash thing" and claiming that the group are "not staying true to their words."

"It's a joke, I think METALLICA are just a joke," Newsted told Britain's Rock Sound magazine in reference to the Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003, which kicks off on July 4. "I don't think they have any idea. I am fan of METALLICA again, I did my thing in there and felt good and I'm proud of that shit and I am more proud than sour. But that's the integrity down the fucking tube! Why can't they take out STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, why can't they take out IN FLAMES? What they are doing now is such an obvious cash thing and has nothing to do with the music that we're supposed to be fighting for.

"Kirk got quoted about their new record sounding like ENTOMBED. How can it sound like ENTOMBED, how? Who is playing bass to make it sound like ENTOMBED? James is a good bass player, but c'mon, dude! Lars — he hasn't practiced enough drums over the years — he let his art fall away from him, he doesn't have the same finesse as he used to have, so how is it going to sound like ENTOMBED and have that energy? And anyway if they are speaking like that how come they are not talking ENTOMBED out on tour? Or MESHUGGAH — how came they are not staying true to their words? That's what really bothers me."

Newsted's new band, VOIVOD, start their U.S. tour on April 10 and are set to visit Europe in June — but don't expect to see METALLICA and VOIVOD on the same bill.

"There is political shit going on, they are really against us being on the same bills," Newsted explained. "Wherever METALLICA is, you won't be seeing VOIVOD."

:::

Interresting.

|  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 12, 2003 08:17     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula:
"Wherever METALLICA is, you won't be seeing VOIVOD."

Thank fuck for that. I won't have to sit through another metallica set then!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 12, 2003 08:33     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jasonic should just quit the Metallica subject. He's on another (and muuuuch better) band now, so why keep on minding about them or what the fuck they do? It's just pointless. Focus on Voivod, Jasonic!!!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 12, 2003 08:52     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Slayman, its probably because every interviewer asks him about 'Tallica.

I have to say this is the first thing Jason has said where I went HELL FUCKING YEAHHHHH!!! It was great to hear such words come out of his mouth.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 12, 2003 08:55     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
I have to say this is the first thing Jason has said where I went HELL FUCKING YEAHHHHH!!! It was great to hear such words come out of his mouth.

LOL!!!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 12, 2003 11:19     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm, interesting. Of course this is the kind of thing that can bite you on the ass, even if it's funny for the readers to hear that people have become sloppy technicians. Let's hope the old Vod material is recognizable when played on this tour. That's all I'm going to say.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted February 12, 2003 14:08     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I, for one, welcome and agree with everything he said. It's about time someone stood up to Metallica's (or rather, Lars and Kirk and Bob's) attitude problems. They seem to have totally abandoned their hardcore fans, the ones who got them where they are today. People like Mr. Newsted.
I wouldn't worry about old material being 'unrecognisable' Noitall, remember that Jason is a big fan and that he has spent a lot of time listening to Voivod. I think he'd want to pay the utmost respect to those songs. He probably knows how to play a lot of the songs anyway.
And after all, he's the only new member.
Piggy? Check.
Away? Check.
Snake? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH YEAH!
All Jason has to do is be there, play the songs, headbang and try not to trip over any cables...

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 12, 2003 14:28     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lyc, they haven't played a lot of those old tunes for awhile, on tour anyway. It's weird how you can create something and then years later have to re-work out how it actually goes. And some things just go up in smoke if you get my drift, pun intended, haw haw haw.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted February 12, 2003 14:45     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
lol! Noitall...you so funny.

I would welcome any newly reworked versions of songs.
Not to say that the reworked ones would be any better...just slightly different versions, thats all.

I'm sure the old songs will be fine.

Noitall will have to go to the Concert to find out.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted February 12, 2003 14:46     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm... I get your meaning...
Well, I'm looking forward to it anyway. Perhaps that's what they're doing at the moment, practicing like hell.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 12, 2003 15:02     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ha ha, I hope so! I wanna hear something that kicks my ass. ;P
St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted February 12, 2003 15:12     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Somebody said this on Blabbershit and the question be....

Is Voivod a cult band?

I don't think so myself.

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted February 12, 2003 15:27     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, you have to admit that no other Vod-release has had this much publicity... We just have to wait and see if it's turns out for the good or for the bad.
JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted February 12, 2003 15:48     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well..........

IMO this is just all "any publicity is good publicity" tactics. That's fair enough, but it does seem to me that Newsted played on EVERY post sellout-metallica album and if he really felt that bad about it he could have left before. Don't get me wrong, I don't know the guy (met him once - he's a real gent) or the behind the scenes machinations of "metallica inc" so, who am I to judge anyone. I wish there was just more positive type talk going on (ie music, as that's all I'm interested in) rather than this frankly childish band vs band stuff.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted February 12, 2003 16:02     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"the real test will be if they play "Overreaction", Vince didn't sound right. "

Vince Neil?!? Wow, I can't even imagine what that'd sound like. On the other hand, Voivod playing 'Crue songs is not hard to picture.

Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted February 12, 2003 20:36     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Must be Vince Peake , guest bassist for voivod . He's the singer/Bassist for Groovy Aardvark , authors of the best metal album ( Oryctérope ) in the '90's here in Quebec imo .

It's him who played in Hamilton's show last year .

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 13, 2003 04:35     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula:
"There is political shit going on, they are really against us being on the same bills," Newsted explained. "Wherever METALLICA is, you won't be seeing VOIVOD."

well this is really sad IMO... this means Voivod won't be playing any of the Festivals Metallica is billed on (Roskilde for instance)... that's not cool... Festivals have large audiences.

...this frantic Voivod vs. Metallica bullshit is really getting on my nerves to say the least.

...Jasonic's right though, teaming up with likkin' krap and wimpy squirt is really really lame.

how low are they gonna sink?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 13, 2003 05:48     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember years ago when MTV had a contest to win an evening with Metallica, where they would come and play for you and some friends in your town, and hang out with you (cool contest), and during the interviews the guys were asked about what other bands they are into or admire and Jason went on and on about Voivod, and how great they are.

I also remeber hearing how there were a few times Jason wanted to leave the band but was offered lots of $$$ to stay. I do not doubt this one bit.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted February 13, 2003 11:15     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
On Metallica's Cunning Stunts DVD (which isn't that bad), during the 'documentary' sections Jason's wearing a Voivod T-shirt (Negatron, I think). He also occasionally wore Voivod shirts at other gigs (better than the Elvis shirt on the 'One' video)
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted February 15, 2003 00:23     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You guys wanna hear something fucked up? That article appeared in todays Winnipeg Sun, pretty much as it appeared on Blabbermouth and cited the source as Canoe.ca. Almost every major city in Canada is part of this media chain. Did anyone else see it in the paper? I almost fell out of my fucking chair.

Of course the Headline was "Former Metallica Bassist Calls Them 'A Joke'"

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted February 15, 2003 01:24     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Of course the Headline was "Former Metallica Bassist Calls Them 'A Joke'"

I wish they had never become a joke..sometimes, it's seriously depressing. I'm gonna have to put on "Ride the Lightning" and go back to "the old school" days for another round! (much deserved, btw)

manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted February 15, 2003 05:19     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey, shit happens ! when you're not hungry anymore, you run the risk of becoming a joke.
all that success might have gotten to their heads.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted February 15, 2003 06:14     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What would happen if Kirk died suddenly?(expendable)
What if Lars died unexplainably? (expendable)
What if James "suddenly" and "unexplainably" decided to go back to his ROOTS as a metal-songwriter: "Priceless"

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan