my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » JAMES HETFIELD: 'The Door Is NOT Open' For JASON To Rejoin METALLICA

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: JAMES HETFIELD: 'The Door Is NOT Open' For JASON To Rejoin METALLICA
Seb YB1
VoivodFan
Member # 129

posted February 08, 2003 12:17     Profile for Seb YB1   Email Seb YB1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good news ????

According to BlabberMouth :

JAMES HETFIELD: 'The Door Is NOT Open' For JASON To Rejoin METALLICA - Feb. 7, 2003

METALLICA guitarist/vocalist James Hetfield has finally put an end to the speculation that former METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted may one day rejoin the group, saying that the "the door is not open" for a reunion with Newsted and insisting the remaining three members of the group "have grown to such a place" since Jason's departure "that we don't think it's feasible" for him to come back to the band. Speaking to California radio station 92 KSJO following Wednesday's press conference in Los Angeles to announce the Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003, Hetfield, guitarist Kirk Hammett and drummer Lars Ulrich touched upon a number of topics, including the ongoing bassist search, the group's upcoming album (titled "St. Anger", due on June 10) and the decision to team up with LINKIN PARK and LIMP BIZKIT for what is certain to be one of the most successful and controversial touring packages of the last few years.

The following are some of the more interesting tidbits from the KSJO interview (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET):

On the possibility of Jason coming back to the band:

James: "I like the [use of the] word 'friend' [in reference to Jason], 'cause he is still our friend, and we want that to remain. I think to remain friends, we have to be honest with each other, and I have to say that the door is not open [for him to rejoin METALLICA]. We've grown to such a place that we don't think it's feasible, we don't think it's actually a reality that could happen. We'd love to keep in contact with him and make sure that things stay real, we don't want the press crap that goes on, we want the divorce to be healthy, we want each person to feel good about what they hear and what they express and to be able to get it out right. It's interesting that he said [in interviews following his departure from the group] for me to come and call him [if I wanted him to come back]. I don't know if I was the other two guys if I would be interested in that."

Kirk: "Jason left the band. We didn't throw him out. He quit, and he made that decision unilaterally, without any of our input."

James: "…in front of all three of us."

Lars: "We asked him to reconsider…"

Kirk: "…numerous times"

Lars: "…and he wouldn't."

James: "I don't feel Jason was happy in METALLICA. And maybe he's forgotten some of that. Maybe a lot of the glamorous parts are missing from his life now. And maybe it's just reality kind of really sinking in now. And we wanna help him through that."

|  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted February 08, 2003 12:54     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The tempestuous furnace that IS my hatred for Kirk Hammett
is an eternally raging inferno, continuously stoked and provoked every time
an utterance is heard emanating from the yap-trap that is his and his alone.

It doesn't even matter what he says anymore!
I can't fucking stand this little pissant prima-donna WORM for another moment.

I think it all started when I met him at an Anthrax/ Metal Church/ Testament
gig back in the day, when shaking his hand I was struck by its similarity
to that of a petite woman, but most of all struck by the
Immensely Superior-To-Thou condescending LOOK he gave me.
My one and only chance to CRUSH the bones in that hand, and alas it has passed.
Besides, they were still halfway cool back then.

The fire stormed permanently out of control when one day I was
browsing through books of sheet music, and lo and behold -
I stumbled across a manuscript entitled:

The 'Art' of Kirk Hammett

...and it was a book of his guitar solos!!!

WTF!?
Kirk Hammett is the most overrated, one dimensional guitarist EVER.

He uses a Wah in an incessant, feeble attempt to mask the
sad fact that he has been playing the same fucking solo for 20 years, and counting.

FUCK Metallica.

They would have to release the Heaviest, most insanely complex
and innovative metal album OF ALL TIME to regain an ounce of my respect.

Hetfield: "...And we wanna help him through that"

What a JOKE. I think Jason will be fine, King James, Lord of Nothing.

And don't even get me STARTED on Lars.

manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted February 08, 2003 13:35     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"They would have to release the Heaviest, most insanely complex
and innovative metal album OF ALL TIME to regain an ounce of my respect"

well it's a little late for that,eh!

besides, jasonic is ours now, and you can't have him back

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 08, 2003 13:46     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hope that Metallica has a book like the Crue's DIRT someday. I'd seriously like to read that.

Tangento, I don't think I've ever seen you so steamed, lol! I guess Kirk counts his money with those effeminate hands too. But seriously, at least he got a book to market, that's something.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted February 08, 2003 15:22     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I doubt Jason wants to rejoin anyway, after all, they treated him like shit for 14 years. And besides, he's putting 110% into a band that he feels good about and is proud to be a member of. And rightly so.

Jeez Tangento, you really don't like Metallica do you?

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted February 08, 2003 16:11     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This goes WAAAY back to when they were real, and they
used to rant on and on about 'posers' and 'sellouts'.

I have no problem with their success, it's just how they
turned their backs on the hardcore fans by releasing SO MUCH crap,
year after year without ever including just ONE song for us die hards
who swore by songs like 'Fight Fire With Fire'
'The Thing That Should Not Be' and 'Battery',
and supported them during the early years.

I usually don't get into these Metallica discussions -
but I'm sorry, but there is nothing worse than a hypocrite.

manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted February 08, 2003 16:23     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
is it that bad ? i mean what they released after And justice ? apart from Enter sand man wich i remember blasting in expensive cars driven by rich kids,i haven't heard anything.

on another note, what happened to Prong ? Rude Awakening was superb !

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted February 08, 2003 16:29     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Um, I don't really like the Black Album, there are some good songs on there, but it's nowhere near the same level of quality as the earlier albums.
And... there are 27 songs altogether on Load and Reload, right? I like about four of them. And I'm a FAN of Metallica. They released some really good stuff, but I'm sorry to say that after Cliff died, it just wasn't the same. Lars and James had too much control without enough ideas.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 08, 2003 17:46     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tangento, thank you for that anti-Hammett post! Made me laugh my ass of here after a long night of alcoholic excesses! Easily the funniest thing I've read in a while! Ooh my head...

On the topic at hand, who gives a fuck eh? Interesting news tidbit, but everytime I see any kind of info from the MET camp, I just get queasy as it always reminds me how far removed from their old fans they have become! I hate feeling this way about Metallica (fuckin' loved 'em when I was younger), but Tangento's point about not even ONE lousy tidbit of thrash, a nod to the old school fans... feels like a slap in the face!

As for their post-And Justice For All material, what I've heard, just seemed boring and unispired to me. It was as if Metallica tried to make the same transformation Corrosion Of Conformity pulled off, but just weren't any good at the straight-ahead rock thing. Now it just seems as if they are totally out of touch and that every move they make is based on demographic research.

I am curious to hear what their new album sounds like, but fuck-all if I'm gonna pay a penny to hear it! Saving my cash-money for the Multi... er, I mean new Voivod record!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 08, 2003 19:48     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll have to admit that I'll end up buying the new Metallica cd when it comes out (not at full price however), mainly for curiousity sake. I've got all their cds and it takes me a while before I'm willing to 'give up' on bands I used to really enjoy.

I have always thought thet Dave Mustaine was far more talented and more original than the Hamster.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted February 09, 2003 05:30     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn right Mustaine was more talented... who wrote all those great solos on Kill 'em All eh Kirk? For that matter, I've always preferred Megadeth to Metallica... Mustaine's like an all-in-one musician (I said 'like' ).
He writes! He sings! He plays rhythm! He plays lead! He does his arm in after years of heroin injections...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 09, 2003 18:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
Damn right Mustaine was more talented... who wrote all those great solos on Kill 'em All eh Kirk? For that matter, I've always preferred Megadeth to Metallica... Mustaine's like an all-in-one musician (I said 'like' ).
He writes! He sings! He plays rhythm! He plays lead! He does his arm in after years of heroin injections...

I'm gonna miss MegaDave, some of the songs were hit or miss at times, with RISK being the biggest mistake of his carreer, but overall I dig Megadeth WAY MORE than Metallica. I also love the MD.45 'The Craving' cd that he did with Lee Ving (of FEAR)...great collaboration.

Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted February 10, 2003 07:18     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Taking of megdeth , somebody have listened to '' The World Needs A Hero '' album ? Is it good ?
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 10, 2003 08:14     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marginal:
Taking of megdeth , somebody have listened to '' The World Needs A Hero '' album ? Is it good ?

I like it a lot...now.

I purchased it the same day the latest TOOL cd came out and listened to the TOOL forst and then the Megadeth cd, which didn't impress at the time because the TOOL album was so damn cool. But after listening to the Megadeth a few time after that, it really grew on me and I like a lot now. There's a couple 'lyrically stupid' song (moto psycho) but overall it a killer cd. It reminds me os the stuff they were doing around "Countdown to Extinction". RUDE AWAKENING is a killer 2cd live set that contains some of there best songs, and a great DVD also.

NP The World Needs A Hero

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted February 11, 2003 05:19     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Despite many Megadeth fans disliking "The World Needs A Hero", I can't really find anything horribly wrong with the album except maybe the last two songs, which are obviously just rehashed versions of some older stuff. If you liked "Cryptic Writings", you'll probably like this one too. I especially like the style of the new drummer.

Dave Mustaine needs a hero (without the -in). I've always loved his work, and it's a real loss for me and the whole metal community if he's 'out of order'. Anyone catch any news of him lately? I remember someone posted a short message from him in which he said his arm is fine and that he is fiddling with his guitars again.

Oh, the thread subject? Right. All I have to say is that I'm happy to hear Jason is not going back to Metallica ever. Why? Because now there's no worry about him not focusing 100% on a certain Canadian four-piece guitar rock and roll orchestra...

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 11, 2003 08:20     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinen:
Because now there's no worry about him not focusing 100% on a certain Canadian four-piece guitar rock and roll orchestra...

The Guess Who? Bachman Turner Overdrive? Glass Tiger?

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted February 11, 2003 08:24     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, that's a long band name. And weird!
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 11, 2003 08:26     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PLATINUM BLONDE!
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 11, 2003 12:25     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
On a totally unrelated note, I went to school with Randy Bachman's many kids (mormons have lots of 'em) and got to see his guitar collection once. Fucking amazing garage chock full of them, lots of Gretsch and assorted others.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 11, 2003 13:21     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ouh, la la! Not bad for a mormon! Did he have a garage full of wives?
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 11, 2003 13:24     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nah, they only do that in the US, where it's legal. Unless you want to count David Lee Roth as one of his wives.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 11, 2003 13:31     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He should get in touch with KK Downing!
You ain't seen n-n-n-n-n-nothin' yet!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan