my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » ...exclusive ITW with Jason Newsted...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ...exclusive ITW with Jason Newsted...
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 07, 2003 06:46     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"An over-excited Jason Newsted offered us an ITW about his new cared for project: Voïvod. Jason is actually the new bass player for Voïvod and also their producer. It is somewhat surprising that he did the ITW considering he's the newest member in the band... Anyway, it's good to see the ex-Metallica bassist feel like in the early days and praise Voivod like the most die-hard fan would - a true lesson of modesty. Comes soon a long-anticipated album, which sees the return of Snake, the charismatic and weird vocalist..."

Metallian #30 (fra)

|  IP: Logged
TheHade
VoivodFan
Member # 109

posted February 07, 2003 06:50     Profile for TheHade   Email TheHade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey OUtcast, please give us more of that stuff!
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 07, 2003 07:18     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
more is to come...

I bought the magazine this morning and it's in french of course. I just translated the hook line.

I'll read it during lunchtime.
can't scan because Metallian uses very small fonts with crazy colours (white on green/white textured background) which sometimes proves hardto decipher.

btw, I find it funny (and a bummer somehow) that Jason - who doesn't speak french - did that ITW for a french mag...
Let Away do the talking!!!

later...

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 07, 2003 08:18     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Metallian: How will sound this new album with the former bassist of Metallica?
Jason Newsted: "This will be Voïvod's 13th album. The music is very heavy, not particlarly psychedelic, apart from some hints here and there... but way less than on some of their previous efforts. There is not really much experimentation with sounds... It's fast forward heavy metal that will kick your ass, pure metal with double-kicks on each and every song and there are neither slow song nor ballad or whatever... The bass sounds very wild and has lots of distortion".

M: A lot of people are expecting a comeback to the Outer Limits style, with more psychedelism but it is obviously not the case?
JN: "It's much wilder than Voïvod's previous albums. More aggressive, with an *old school* feel, very different from present productions. It's lying somewhere between DH and NF, to compare with Voïvod standards. It's Metallica heaviness and power combined with Voïvod distortion and twisted Piggy chords... not to forget the true voice of Voïvod: Snake, who revives the old magic".

M: ...and what about record labels?
JN: "At the moment, we haven't signed anything for Europe but we've had many phone calls from people who'd like to share the cake... Warner Bros. Will distribute us in the US... As for Europe, we think we're going to work with Century Media. What is important is that people understand the true essence of metal. I don't care if we are not signed by a major, we are able to do things all by ourselves. If a major is interested in Voïvod then it will be OK, otherwise we don't give a shit. We will succeed with or without them!"

M: Will we be treated once again with weird sci-fi lyrics and is the Multiverse a concept album?
JN: "Some of the songs have common themes but this is not properly a concept album. The lyrics are genuine Snake poetry. He hasn't changed a bit... He's still writing about space and UFOs. (...)
I'm very eager to see how the public will react because some friends of mine told me that some people had serious doubts regarding my collaborating with Voïvod. They think that Voïvod will lose their particularity, their identity because of me. They should remember that I've joined a band where friends of mine have been playing together since 1979. It's not easy getting integrated in such a band. All I want is to make them even bigger and stronger than they ever were. My goal is to help Voïvod get the media attention that they rightfully deserved throughout all those years but never gained. My own money is running the machine and if I'm doing it, it's only because I really feel like it. They have been through so many shit (...) Voïvod know the true reality of the music business. No offense to them, but bands like SOAD who have been around for 4-5 years and who get aired on the radio... They don't know shit about the reality of the music business"

=============================================

well... I was somewhat pissed at first that Jason did the ITW (because journalists certainly won't help asking questions about Metallica) but I must say that this was pleasant to read (not considering the fact that Metallian uses very small fonts), and Jason certainly seems to be as much excited as any of us when he speaks about Voïvod and Voïvod's future...

nota. the ITW must have been made at the end of last year because the announced title for the album is still "The Multiverse", and Jason mentions the studio agendas and the Chophouse vids they made while recording.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 07, 2003 08:34     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oh, and Jason's favourite song is "Flying Cigars".

a disonnant weird one IMHO.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 07, 2003 09:16     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great Info Outcast! Thanks, typing AND translating has got to suck. So its not a concept album. I was wondering about that. I have never heard of "Flying Cigars". Or was the real title in French? I like what he said about his goal being to get VV the media attention they deserve. I hope this will be the case. I think they would be really cool on Conan O'Brien's show. Get the younger crowd into them.

My question is this: Will their music appeal to a 15 yr. old metal/rock fan today?
I try to think about how it was when I first heard them. All I was listening to was thrash. And then I heard them and somehow it made sense. I just wonder if 15 yr. old's today who are polluted with numetal will be able to hear anything with VV. I don't know. Better make a good video.

Cockroach
VoivodFan
Member # 115

posted February 07, 2003 09:21     Profile for Cockroach   Email Cockroach     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thx for the translation Outcast.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 07, 2003 12:06     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, thanks Outcast.

Mez, he's referring to the les cigares volants track.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 07, 2003 12:15     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Outcast! Cool interview! Finally, these interviews are starting to reveal a little bit about where Voivod are actually at, instead of just "I am back to making metal music and it's real again, metal for those who love the metal!"

KKS posted this on the Chophouse board, but I didn't see it here anywhere... Another interesting interview with Jason Newsted... and no, I'm not being sarcastic, this is a good one! Credit to KKS for digging this one up!

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted February 07, 2003 12:26     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm kinda bummed to read that there's little-to-no psychedelia in their new sound. Too bad for me, I guess. I actually prefer the psychedlic edge to heaviness in their music.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 07, 2003 12:42     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, bullshit... "Divine Sun" has psychedelia all over it. "I Dont wanna wake up" as well. Wait til you hear the record.
manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted February 07, 2003 14:35     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LET ME OUT LET ME OUT

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

PMIL!!!!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted February 11, 2003 07:24     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
Oh, bullshit... "Divine Sun" has psychedelia all over it. "I Dont wanna wake up" as well. Wait til you hear the record.

bullshit indeed... "I Dont wanna wake up" has Freedoom-like psychedelia all over it, and there's more than Jason says.

favourites are (at the mo') "Les cigares volants" and "Reactor"...
I need a coffee.. or a beer.

TheHade
VoivodFan
Member # 109

posted February 12, 2003 07:19     Profile for TheHade   Email TheHade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the transcript, Outcast?
Hey, what was within those brackets?
And what does he meaan by "since 1979"?! I thought everything started in 1982.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan