my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Killing Technology/Nothingface, My Reaction

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Killing Technology/Nothingface, My Reaction
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted February 04, 2003 17:12     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, over the weekend Killing Technology arrived and I've had Nothingface for a couple of hours, and I have to say that at the moment Dimension Hatross beats them both.
To be fair, I probably need to listen to both a bit more to really get a feel for the albums, but neither has immediately clicked with me in the way Hatross did a couple of years back.
Killing Technology... I love the way Piggy combines traditional thrash rhythms with his own unique chords (especially the title track). Tornado literaly blew me away, as did Ravenous Medicine. There is some good songwriting evident, and overall it reminds me a little of Megadeth's 'Peace Sells', but much more complex. I felt that a few of the songs intros were better than the songs themselves, with those eerie, twisted chords and basslines...
Nothingface, I liked because you can really hear the bass clearly, and hear the trademark Blower Bass sound really loud... however, it's the one aspect of the production that I did like (although I have heard that the CD features even colder production than the other analogue versions). I don't really like the feeling of emptiness... although that's probably intentional...
The songwriting is very strong and consistent throughout, and Snake's singing is probably the highlight of the whole album, no more robotic follow-the-beat monosyllabic intonations! Standout track for me was Nothingface and Astronomy Domine (I've never been a big Pink Floyd fan, but it's a great version of that song).
I'll probably give those two another listen (or four) later tonight...
One of the things I really liked about Hatross is the way that it is so strongly led by the story, that each song becomes a different chapter... it gives the record a very consistent feel, and I like the way the lyrics were written so they really do tell the story, and I think that's missing on the other two. Another thing that Hatross does well is to blend the more thrashy style of Killing Technology with the prog-rock of Nothingface...
Not forgetting the best thing Hatross has that the others don't: Tribal Convictions.
As a side note, listening to Nothingface for the first time I think I saw Jason's point of view... it seemed to me that aspects of the promo really were 'heavier' than Nothingface. It just depends on what your definition of heavy is!
Well, this may seem a long pointless rant about records you've all heard a gazillion times... but what do you think out of these three, and which do you think is better?

|  IP: Logged
GrinningCheschireCat
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 190

posted February 05, 2003 03:47     Profile for GrinningCheschireCat   Email GrinningCheschireCat     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
Not forgetting the best thing Hatross has that the others don't: Tribal Convictions.

sorry dear Sir but you are wrong... the best thing Hatross has is undoubtedly Psychic Vaccuum

I'll certainly agree that Hatross is the best of all 3... it is so enticing that you just can't listen to one song, you *have* to go on and on... and I must of heard it thousands times... never getting tired of it... better yet, always seeming to find out new things upon each hearing... small ornaments, effects, arrangements, structures...

Nothingface is really cool too, songcrafting is excellent and the guys who wrote this masterpiece sure have nothing more to prove regarding their creative genius... hats off... very very low... and the production is excellent, somewhat cold though...

sometimes I feel like it lacks the raw energy of KT though!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 05, 2003 05:46     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They are all perfect albums, and my preference changes depending which record I'm listening to at the time! If I had to pick a winner it'd always be Hatross though. It is the perfect album. There are just sooooo many fucking good rifffs on that record. It amazes me everytime I hear it, and it's 15 years old!
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted February 05, 2003 08:21     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll say this: Nothingface got me on the second listen. I don't know what happened first time, maybe I wasn't paying attention or something...
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 05, 2003 09:55     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
I'll say this: Nothingface got me on the second listen. I don't know what happened first time, maybe I wasn't paying attention or something...

Probably you weren't. I always saw Nothingface as THE Voivod album. Okay, that's me, but Nothingface is my fav Voivod album. Don't ask me why, I don't think I can explain it properly, but it is.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 05, 2003 10:00     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I didnt like Nothingface at first. I remember watching them live in Musiqueplus when they played on there, thinkin' "what the fuck is THAT??" Then i got the album and grew to love it. Today, i very rarely listen to it. Love the songs, hate the sound. Too dry or whatever. Death - Spiritual Healing has the same effect on me. Amazing record but i cant stand the production.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan