my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » R.I.P. Columbia and Crew (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: R.I.P. Columbia and Crew
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted February 01, 2003 11:05     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another horror captured on video.
Very sorry for the crew's families.
Nation of Israel, like them or not, lost a national hero.

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 01, 2003 11:54     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pretty terrible indeed. I didn't even realize they were up in space.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted February 01, 2003 12:25     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
R.I.P for the crew. Very sad indeed.
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted February 01, 2003 12:54     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, i'm sad to hear about this accident.
I wonder what impact this will have on IIS, aren't there three guys up there at the moment? It can't be an easy decision to send another shuttle up in 15-17 days to retrieve the crew. I know they have a Soyuz capsule attached until their rescuevehicle is finished. I'v been really interested about that because they are using an enormous "Paraglider" to land it with.

The crew were involved in the greatest mission in human history in my opinion, building the foundation for human kinds quest of exploring new worlds.
I hope they will be remembered for being an important part of that dream in the future.

I'm a science fiction nut and love old Isaac Asimov, Arthur C Clarke books and sometimes i wonder what it would be like to have a look on things, say 2000 years from now.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 01, 2003 13:44     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was still pretty much asleep when i slammed my alarm clock and the radio came on, and i thought i heard "the Nasa lost contact with the Columbia shuttle while it was near Mars"... I thought "Oh that's it, aliens"... then i woke up properly and got the real news.

Very sad news indeed.

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted February 01, 2003 16:33     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yea. I had just sat down at Hooters
when I looked up at one of the TVs and
the story was breaking. The visually
pleasing surroundings took a backseat
as I sipped a brew & read the captions.
What a sad day this is.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 01, 2003 17:24     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All this news are terribly sad. Let them rest in peace.
Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted February 01, 2003 18:51     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OMG, that's horrible news

I just hope this tragedy reminds the US government of how important human life is... and make them reconsider attacking Iraq, because people live there too, not just Saddam

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted February 01, 2003 23:08     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is a sad day indeed.
All this happened right above my head.
(I am here in Irving, Texas.)

People as far away as Arkansas heard the boom from the explosion.
I have witnessed one other Shuttle Re-Entry (at Night.)
You can hear it as it passes overhead from horizon to horizon.
Like a fireball in the sky...the crackling sound.
Everything was smooth and steady then as it lit up the night sky over Dallas.

This time...it was different.
Erratic...and then a loud boom.

I still am freaked out about it.

This has been a bad day.
My heart goes out to the Family's

Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted February 02, 2003 00:59     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hehe this shuttle was just too old . And awwwwwwww i'm sad : i care about peoples i don't know who died in this accident while i don't fuckin care about the guy living next to me ...
Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted February 02, 2003 01:17     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
While we're at it : http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/front/RTGAM/20030202/waval01/Front/homeBN/breakingnews

They're strangers too but let's cry ...

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted February 02, 2003 03:28     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah, people fucking die everyday...where's those people's 15 of fame?

actually, it does kinda suck..I never did like people dying in misfortune...unless of course..they deserved it.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted February 02, 2003 03:31     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
and speaking about this "misfortune", why would most of you here care anyway?? Most of you are freakin canadians?!?!
Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted February 02, 2003 08:34     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
lol
Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted February 02, 2003 09:15     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
btw , those who'll say : '' But they died trying to further humanities horizons '' . Well , fuck you . What they were trying to do is just something to help richer peoples to live better and longer . Fuck poverty eh !?
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted February 02, 2003 10:24     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Marginal...

FUCK YOU for your insensitive comments.
You have NO IDEA what its about till it happens right above your head! Dumbass!

Those of you who dont care...FUCK OFF!

It would be best for you to show some respect over the matter and be SILENT,
than to make such insensitive and STUPID comments.

Lets see you laughing when something happens to you someday.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted February 02, 2003 10:50     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm right there with ya, Kula. There's no need to shove another person's compassion back in their faces. Marginal, try opening a thread of your own where you can profess why no one should give a shit about 7 people who we've never met. Leave this one to those of us who feel like honoring the spirit of their profession.
Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted February 02, 2003 10:53     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yeah , it happened above your head Kula . That would have been sad to lose you cause you're one of the funniest peeps on these forums . In fact , i love you ( in a friendly way ) . Sorry if you've took my comments personnally . It wasn't the intention and you know it .

quote:
Lets see you laughing when something happens to you someday.

Alots of thimgs happened in my short life . But i can say that your '' someday '' was for me 6 years ago and i had another surgery at the shoulder last tuesday because of that accident . Yes my life isn't like before but i still smile and laugh : i'm still alive

Anyway , peace man

Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted February 02, 2003 10:56     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kane:
[...]

I don't have the right to tell my opinion ? Oh ...

VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted February 02, 2003 11:06     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Marginal, you have every right to state your mind and voice your opinion. That's what a froum is for, after all. Why I object to is personally disrespecting fellow members of the forum like you did. And it's EXACTLY what you did. Show some class.
Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted February 02, 2003 11:16     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've just told my opinion , i didn't had the intention to be disrespectful . Sorry if some of you feels or are actually involved in this situation . It's just me ... Don't care about me

~Peace

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted February 02, 2003 11:32     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marginal:
btw , those who'll say : '' But they died trying to further humanities horizons '' . Well , fuck you . What they were trying to do is just something to help richer peoples to live better and longer . Fuck poverty eh !?

Here is the bottom line, the way I see it:

The space program in general and the space shuttle in particular, are symbols
of some of man's greatest achievments.
The people involved in these missions are a special breed and are, for the most part
quality individuals with special skills and a unique vision.

When a catastrophic failure occurs in association with such ambitious and high-profile endeavors,
it is quite dramatic and unsettling.
Especially to those of us who were little kids who watched in awe as they first landed on the moon.

The way I see it, there is nothing wrong with taking a few seconds of your precious life
and mourning the loss of the scientists, technicians and researchers -
with no strings attached to the rest of the world's woes and injustices.

They really do deserve to be set apart, if only for a moment.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted February 02, 2003 11:45     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree Tangento, and it's particularly sad to lose some gifted people who simply worked to expand our knowledge of how this and other universes function.

Even if you're not particularly interested in the astronauts or the scientific experiments they carry out, you can't help but be amazed by the photos that the new Hubbel camera captures.

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/2003/

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 02, 2003 12:13     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Some things hits closer to home than others. Obviously what happened to the shuttle yesterday was pretty sad, but something else happened last week that really hit me alot harder.

People from Quebec might have heard about three young people who drowned on the night of monday to tuesday in Riviere-Au-Renard (Fox River.... my home town)... They had this stupid idea of riding their snowmobiles on the frozen bay, as a shortcut from the bar to their home. So anyways, the ice gave way, and they went through the ice and drowned. Two of those three people (the couple) were actually my aunt Yvette's neighbours, and i had met them over the holidays. I cant say that i knew em well at all, but i knew who they were. The girl was actually 18 and pregnant.

Basically, shit happens all the time. I may not care much about the dead astronauts, but i can understand someone who does.

VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted February 02, 2003 13:44     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What Noitall says about the images captured by Hubble is absolutely spot-on. My brother Brian runs an astronomy website that is geared towards the 'casual' astronomer and links to image galleries from Hubble and other imagery from other telescopes (Mt. Palomar, etc). There's some pretty great stuff over there!

Astroplace.com

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan