my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » By request: Bauhaus

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: By request: Bauhaus
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 24, 2003 00:31     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know which thread asked for this, but here it is, for a limited time:

In the Flat Field

I had never heard this before, but I can hear their influence
on latter-era Wall of Voodoo.

Enjoy

|  IP: Logged
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted January 24, 2003 07:36     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thank you Tangento!

and much thanks to Imran X as well...

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted January 24, 2003 08:03     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
holy cow, this song sounds so Voivod-like to me...
Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted January 24, 2003 12:43     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you guys like Bauhaus, or that style of Music you should check out a band called Swans. They are kind of lumped into that whole "Dark, gothic" category. I really used to love Bauhaus until I started getting into Swans and then I realized that outside of a few select songs, Bauhaus are just silly as hell. If anyone wants to hear a few songs by Swans let me know and I can e mail them to you. Their (Swans) old stuff is very harsh sounding and their later stuff is much more melodic/experimental.
St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted January 24, 2003 13:44     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very cool!
Oh I dig it....
yeah, I agree it's very voivod. Dig all the reverb!

but then.... Isn't it quite "Dead Kennedys" as well? God I love them too. Remember Holiday in Cambodia"? Luv it to death.

Very cool track guys!
ThanX!

St.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 24, 2003 15:34     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As I said, I have limited Bauhaus knowledge, but they do have a great song called
"Third Uncle", which I believe was written by Brian Eno.
I am seeking that one out as well.

Yeah, the early Swans stuff is my favorite.
They certainly were influential to bands like
Godflesh, Scorn, Skin Chamber and the like.
"Filth" was classic dirge.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 24, 2003 15:35     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Swans rank high for me as well. And the Birthday Party. And The Fall. I could go on but I won't, lol.
Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted January 24, 2003 15:59     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Noitall, are you into Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds at all? I have an advanced copy of their up coming Cd titled, "Nocturna" or something like that. Its pretty much along the lines of his last album but there is one song on it called, "Im On Fire". Its about 17 minutes long and pure energy. Really cool.
Also: Michael Giras new band, "The Angels Of Light" are coming out with a new CD in Feb. I heard a few songs at a live performance he did a month or so ago and it sounds wonderful. Hes a very nice guy too.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 24, 2003 17:11     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I like NC, I caught his last tour in Seattle - it was really good and I was extra psyched that Neko Case got to open for him. I'd like to see Gira's acoustic set.
marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted January 24, 2003 17:48     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey people,

a couple of Bauhaus album to start with???

Which one is the more "voivodian"??

Thanks a lot.

Marco

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted January 24, 2003 18:39     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Marco,

I might suggest the first two Bauhaus albums to start out with: "In The Flat Field" & "Mask" are both excellent and have many Voivodian features... especially the basstones! There is an excellent song on Mask called "Hollow Hills" that has some sweet distorted bass tones that bring the Blackest one to mind.

Although I don't usually like compilations and anthologies, Bauhaus' "1979-1983" volumes 1&2 are a real good way to get a grasp of their catalog and the Volume 1 is usually pretty easy to find.

If you like really dark music be sure to check out the SWANS too (see above discussion)... beautiful extremely heavy, without being metal, as it gets!

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 26, 2003 02:33     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, is everyone done D/Ling this?
I plan to remove it by tomorrow night to make room for a new project.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 26, 2003 03:45     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imran X:
If you guys like Bauhaus, or that style of Music you should check out a band called Swans. They are kind of lumped into that whole "Dark, gothic" category. I really used to love Bauhaus until I started getting into Swans and then I realized that outside of a few select songs, Bauhaus are just silly as hell. If anyone wants to hear a few songs by Swans let me know and I can e mail them to you. Their (Swans) old stuff is very harsh sounding and their later stuff is much more melodic/experimental.

I just felt it was pertinent to mention the Swans have a female member named Jarboe who has a fantastic voice--and then some! Great NYC "underground" dark music. Certainly predated Sonic Youth by light years.

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted January 27, 2003 17:50     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you very much X-D,
I've seen often in the shops the two Bauhaus's anthology but never had the courage to buy it (even if they're very cheap..). Better some old stuff only!!!

p.s. of course i will check also for Swans!!!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 27, 2003 18:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks to all involved.
It's funny, cause I was creating some cd art for some of my newly aquired VOIVOD shows and while making the art for the Chicago 1994 cd the final track was listed as "unknown cover song". Well, after listening to it and then reading the previous "mystery song" thread, it happened to be "in the flat field". It's cool hearing the original version compared to the Voivod version...they did the song justice...very cool, indeed.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan