my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Superbowl sunday ! (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Superbowl sunday !
Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted January 29, 2003 01:26     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, Celine did "God Bless America". The Dixie Chicks did the national anthem, and did it quite well I thought.
 |  IP: Logged
TheHade
VoivodFan
Member # 109

posted January 29, 2003 03:15     Profile for TheHade   Email TheHade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonxonx:
The only game even more stupid is blazeball (or how the fuck it's called?)

Oh, you mean Blernsball! Yeah, that Futurama-episode was awesome!
No, seriously: Baseball isn't stupid at all, on the contrary! It probably is the most intelligent kind of sports that involves heavy physical activity (and therefore the best thing that was EVER invented in the U.S. - although it wasn't an entirely new invention, of course; still the result is great, though). If you doubt that it only shows you don't know what you're talking about.

RED SOX in 2003!!!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 29, 2003 06:19     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Football (and I mean FOOTBALL) is the greatest game in the world. Proven by teams across the globe. That american version is just bastardised rugby for guurls.

I AGREE.
My wife and I were just discussing this with a friend of our who is originally from Chile and a diehard football (soccer) fan and player. We both agreed that the American sports of 'football' and baseball are are bogus when it comes to the "World Series" and "Super Bowl". How you you claim greatest team in the world when your NOT playing any teams outside North America?!?

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 29, 2003 07:49     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Schroeder...
Because Tampa Bay IS the greatest Team (NFL) in the World.
Where else in the World is NFL??? The U.S....thereby making the Superbowl Champion the Greatest Team in the World...for Football.
(No...NFLEurope dont count.)

Baseball now....That is one boring Sport with extremely overpaid players.
Sure...lets pay one guy half a Trillion Dollars to mostly stand around, kick dirt and scratch his balls all day.
I think that to improve Baseball...they need to make it a Full-Contact Sport!
Let the Batter take the Bat with him and beat the crap outta anyone who tries to stop him from getting on Base!
That would be cool!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 29, 2003 09:21     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, you know what I say. Screw all these wuss sports like soccer, rugby, football, baseball, basketball(now talk about boring-back and forth on a court trying to get a ball through a net).

There is only one real man's sport. Go here to find out what the Mezmeister is talking about:A REAL MAN'S SPORT

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted January 29, 2003 09:38     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah i thought so too, until some wiseass told me to start the engine...
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 29, 2003 10:39     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Mez - you wanna see a real man's sport? Click HERE...
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted January 29, 2003 11:06     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
These English sportsmen, Cricket, Ironing and Parawaiting Parawaitinglink with accidentreports.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 29, 2003 15:33     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
My wife and I were just discussing this with a friend of our who is originally from Chile and a diehard football (soccer) fan and player. We both agreed that the American sports of 'football' and baseball are are bogus when it comes to the "World Series" and "Super Bowl". How you you claim greatest team in the world when your NOT playing any teams outside North America?!?

I won't even start talking 'bout US football or baseball, they're just not worthy. But I don't agree with Schroeder on the "world champion" subject. I suppose it's fair for them to claim the "world champion" title, since no one else outside the States care for any of those, uh, "sports".

Oh, wait, I forgot there's a baseball league here in Brazil. The whole of the Brazillian baseball players (the pros, the pros!) filled a VW Beetle and came for one big match in my very town, some time ago! What an honour!

TheHade
VoivodFan
Member # 109

posted January 30, 2003 03:14     Profile for TheHade   Email TheHade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's OK to call it the "World Series" because at the time this championship was originated there was no Baseball except in the U.S. Now there are professional leagues (let alone amateur leagues) all over the world (most notably in Eastern Asia; especially in Japan the players earn about as much as in the U.S.) but to keep the tradition I think it's OK to keep the name. As for international championships that's done with national / continental / world championships and the Olympics and I think it's a great idea not to allow U.S. pro players there.
Anybody who thinks Baseball is boring or should have more full-contact never understood what is't all about: the duel pitcher vs. batter, one pitch at a time. Baseball isn't about mind-boggling action but about reaching one little goal after another together as a team. I love it that this is more important than the clock. If you really think about it it's a buddhist thing. OK, it may seem old-fashioned to you but that doens't mean it's boring or stupid!
It's also the only kind of sports where it isn't enough to have one star to win; you need a whole team of stars or you'll lose more often than not.
Also, have you ever been hit by a pitch (or had a fastball high and in pass your head?)? Or have you ever been run down and spiked on the base paths? To me this is enough full-contact to make sure there is still any style about the game instead of thoughtless, dull violence.
As for the pro salaries, they prove at least one thing: that there's a huge demand for this kind of entertainment. I think too much money makes the player only whine about minor nuisances, but that's the way it is in capitalism! They'll be paid even more as long as there's still demand for their work (and it is work: play a 162-game-season and tell me how sore you feel then!). And you claim to have won about our ideology, so where's the problem?!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 30, 2003 08:52     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
162 games of swinging at a ball...maybe hitting it...and running from base to base is Work????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Why dont you ask Emitt Smith of the Dallas Cowboys what work really is!
Or even...those Roundball (Football) Players!
They also know what work really is.

Tough Sports:
Football (American)
Football (International)
Hockey
Cycling
Tennis
Basketball
...and many others.

Wussy Sports:
Baseball
Golf

End of story!

TheHade
VoivodFan
Member # 109

posted January 30, 2003 11:04     Profile for TheHade   Email TheHade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can only repeat: try to do it yourself before you complain it was a sissy game! There are things in sports that are hard and take a toll on your body other than aimlessly running around until a clock tells you to stop! I have no idea where you got the impression it was the other way around. In addition to that let me also repeat that I spoke of style instead of thoughtless, dull violence.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 10, 2004 10:47     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's football season, ladies and gents. Let the bitching and whining begin!

I love American football, it's for guurls.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted September 10, 2004 13:07     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
....um, that would be grrls!!

By the way, shouldn't you be working or something?

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted September 10, 2004 13:29     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Pats are keeping it alive. Last night's game was great!
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 10, 2004 15:30     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Indeed, Little Monkey!
That game was as exciting as a playoff game. Tom Brady is awesome and Bill Belichik (sp.?)looked sharp. He's definitely invited to my Fantasy NFL Coaches Party.
God, I love football season...sitting on the couch, we had salmon for dinner with some cold beers. There's a game Saturday, too! I even love the commercials during football season. Especially Southwest Airlines.

--------------------

Cthon
Member # 156

posted September 10, 2004 19:35     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i joined a Yahoo Pro Football Pick 'Em Group last week, im in there w/ 10 peeps that i know online. basically just make picks before each game and see who has the best record at the end of the season. pretty fun...

after last night, im 1-0, foos!

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted February 06, 2005 21:42     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, it is Super Bowl Sunday....HEH HEH HEH!

how'd you do, Cthon?

I've officially lost interest in this super bowl....all hail Paul McCartney....
"Thank you Super Bowl!"

--------------------

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted February 06, 2005 21:51     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whoa, what year is this thread? Go Johnny Unitas!!!!
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted February 06, 2005 22:22     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to go take a dump now...I'll imagine that the patriots are swimming in the toilet just before the "plunge".

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan