my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Ex-Voivod Bassist Applies for Metallica Job? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Ex-Voivod Bassist Applies for Metallica Job?
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 14, 2003 16:15     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I found this interesting, so I thought I'd share it with you all.

According to Lars (and he holds up an email on a piece of paper) on the latest video on the Metallica studio website, an ex-Voivod bass player sent Lars an email asking for an audition. Although James (jokingly) said his name was Jason, my money's on Eric Forrest. The know-nothings on the forums over there are scratching their heads thinking about this, because they only know about Jason being Voivod's bass player, and most of them think that it's one of his projects.

What do you guys think of this?

|  IP: Logged
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 14, 2003 16:20     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can tell you which one it wasn't, lol! (I think he blew his chances by saying the Metallica songs were the simplest and the most boring stuff he covered in Black Cloud...)

Good for EF, if it's true.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 14, 2003 16:21     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I knew that! I didn't think that Blacky would let himself stoop so low... or work with those dictators...
Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted January 14, 2003 16:22     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's Blacky : That would explain why he's not posting that much on the forum lately .

Remember Blacky with his tie on the BlackCloud pics ? It's written in the bible that Blacky is the perfect candidate !

Just kidding ...

Can you give us a link to that video ?

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 14, 2003 16:24     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's not about stooping, he would probably do it if the money was right, who wouldn't? Those guys are famous enough that you don't even have to see each other, you have your own bus and hit the stage with the rest and that's about it as far as communication goes. Plus it wouldn't be very hard to learn the songs, which is another bonus.

Btw, I was looking at old Metallica photos the other day and I noticed that Jason is always as far away from Hetfield as possible (and vice versa) in every pic. I guess the love was never there, sniff.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted January 14, 2003 16:25     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know... I have been in touch with Eric over the weekend and things are very much happening with E-FORCE... not to mention he's been keeping busy with his contributions to Project Failing Flesh (vocal tracks to be laid down in about three weeks!)

I will have more E-FORCE news soon and will be making some updates to my E-FORCE webpage shortly... so stay tuned!

My bets are on Pierre St-Jean! LOL!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 14, 2003 16:29     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You may be right XD, the last I heard P St-J was working at the Manip's video rental store.
Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted January 14, 2003 16:30     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Or Vince Peake ...
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 14, 2003 16:31     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Groovy are doing okay, so I'd vote that it's not VP.
manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted January 14, 2003 16:47     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i don't know about Pierre tho', last time i talked to him he said they turned a couple thousands of records of his band. and he's not working there anymore, wich is good news frankly.

i think blacky is secretly trying out

poll time !

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 14, 2003 16:48     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe they really were shit stirring about Jason? If they were, now who's coming off as bitter?
Personally, as Kula has said before, Jason and Eric's vocal styles are very similar, so Eric would probably have fitted in perfectly with Metallica. But I have heard about him and his projects, and some of them look very exciting (especially Failing Flesh).

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 14, 2003 19:36     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If it is Blacky, all I can say is "Good For Him". He deserve to be in the spotlight and make some serious $$$. Nothing wrong with earning a good living playing music.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 14, 2003 19:39     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Better brush up on your Bob Seger chops Blacky!!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 15, 2003 06:10     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Better brush up on your Bob Seger chops Blacky!!

That's funny.
How about all the idiots who think WHISKEY IN A JAR is an original Metallica song. Those same people that don't know about Thin Lizzy also didn't know Budgie was covered a lot by Metallica.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted January 15, 2003 06:53     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe, I saw a Finnish folk dance orchestra perform "Whiskey In A Jar" on the telly a couple of weeks ago. What disturbed me more than slightly was that the song had new, Finnish words and the credits only said "traditional Irish folk song". The words were typical old Finnish dancing-in-the-barn stuff ("I miss you so, my darling *sob*"), and what's even worse the whole song had been transformed into a foxtrot or sth. HAHAHAHAHA! I bet Phil Lynott is still rolling in agony in his coffin!

If those rumors are true, my bet is on Eric. Just because his style fits "For Whom The Bells Toll"!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 15, 2003 08:00     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, when asked (jokingly), someone gave some clues in a post some time ago... Can't remember his name exactly, but I'm sure it had something to do with colours...

Or maybe the Metallicats are just joking as well, who knows?

2scared2scream
VoivodFan
Member # 77

posted January 15, 2003 08:08     Profile for 2scared2scream   Email 2scared2scream     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My money is on EITHER Gilles Brisevois (did i spell it right?) who was with 'em for The Outer limits OR Lars Ulrich trying (and failing) to be funny. Either way, Metallica has SUCKED since 1990, and you ALL know it! The only way they can save themselves now is by becoming a Black Metal band and reanimating the Korpse of Cliff Burton, who will then come back to life and KILL THE OTHER 3!!!!! Cliff will then go on to make a series of sub-par 'stoner rock' records before teaming up with Dave Mustaine...AAAARGH! STOP ME!!
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 15, 2003 08:18     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it was the guy who jammed with Away and Piggy before Blacky joined.

Well, if it is Blacky, that means my favourite bass player of all time is in my favourite band o when I was 15 and a half!!

If it is Blacky then best of luck to him. And lets be honest, they'd be getting a better bassist than the one they had before...

Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted January 15, 2003 09:36     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
James, Lars and Kirk are all more or less 33% shareholders of the band so this gives a cool 1% for Blacky ! Better than nothing eh ?

btw , here's something retarded i took on the metallica boards :

quote:
I got some Voivod songs off the Kazaa thingy and they all sounded like they wanted to be like Slipknot. Mindless, musicless, noise. It wasn't anywhere near where Metallica is musically and talant wise. Whoever they get as their new bass player will kick ass.

Heh ... Peoples that doesn't know shit ... I'm sure the guy have never touched a bass or a guitar , he's only listening to what other peeps listens ... That's sad ...

More lame comments there :

http://www.metallicabb.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005849

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 15, 2003 10:11     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"No where near Metallica musically or talent-wise" Hahahahah, that gave me a good laugh. Thank God for schmuck entertainment like this.
Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted January 15, 2003 10:43     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Btw , maybe i'm wrong but i'm sure that '' YouAreSheep '' at the metallica boards is someone from the boards here .
http://www.metallicabb.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005849;p=4#000091

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 15, 2003 10:44     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All bullshit, i say.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 15, 2003 11:02     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whoever YouAreSheep is, he makes a good point. Where are all the metallica fans from the 80's? Most people I knew back then who were into puppets, had at least heard of Voivod, and most of them had a copy of Dimension Hatross.
Maybe they all stopped listening after the black album. Can't say I blame them!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 15, 2003 11:17     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Warcorpse makes an even better point!
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 15, 2003 11:36     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hexonxonx, I am soooooo sorry!
I get things mixed up occasionally... sorry.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan