my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Snake's Vocals (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Snake's Vocals
space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted January 08, 2003 13:02     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's a question : Which 'Vod album does Snake sing the best on?

After thinking of this question last night, the more thought I gave it the harder it seemed to be to answer. The only vox I don't really like are parts of the Rrrooaarr album. When I play Voivod for friends and try and convert them to chaosmangers, they often say "yeah the music is good, but the vocals are tough to get used to". Today...I'd have to say Nothingface or Angel Rat are Snake's best vox, that could change daily though, depending also on what a 'good' vocals is considered to be.

What do the blackguards think??

|  IP: Logged
Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted January 08, 2003 13:12     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to say DH. Perfect blend between old Snake and new Snake...
Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted January 08, 2003 13:15     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like his more aggressive way in Killing Technology...
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 08, 2003 16:18     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Missing sequences.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 08, 2003 16:45     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Without a doubt...and this cannot be argued with (Unless you all want to feel the Wrath of Kula)...

Jack Luminous from The Outer Limits.

manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted January 08, 2003 16:50     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
forgotten in space

speaking of snake's vocal, anyone else hears the john lydon influence in gasmask ?

Foot
VoivodFan
Member # 60

posted January 08, 2003 17:25     Profile for Foot   Email Foot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by space monger:
When I play Voivod for friends and try and convert them to chaosmangers, they often say "yeah the music is good, but the vocals are tough to get used to".

Amen! The vocalist from my previous band used to chide me for playing Voivod on the way to practises. "The guy can't sing." I would ask, "Why do you say that? He's in tune, in rhythm and fits the vibe of the music and lyrics?" Answer (and I shudder every time I think about this): "It doesn't sound normal. It's too unusual." The guy couldn't understand anything that didn't sound like Eddie Vedder or Kurt Cobain. Urrgg...

As to the question, I figure Kula's right. Luminous is his best performance. I would judge it this because it encompasses everything Snake had been aiming for at the time. It has the disconnected voice, the melodic voice (the quiet, breathy middle bit was such a cool shock when I first heard it!). No shouting, but it's pretty obvious he wanted to be more than that, starting with Hatross. I think Jack Luminous was sum of all he had learned and he was able to execute it to perfection.

FantasticPlanet
VoivodFan
Member # 169

posted January 08, 2003 17:57     Profile for FantasticPlanet   Email FantasticPlanet     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by manipulator:
forgotten in space

speaking of snake's vocal, anyone else hears the john lydon influence in gasmask ?

oh yeah, I hear it.

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted January 08, 2003 20:12     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Snake sound the best on the Nothingface album. Into my hypercube is a good example. One cool call is TOO LATE FOR S.O.S. from Sub Effect.

If I have to choose only a song I'll will say Brain Scan from DH because in the first verse of the song he sound kind of hyptonic.

Snake sound weird as hell, like he's been affected by radiation for too long.

On the Rooaarr album he is funny it make this album the perfect soundtrack for a date on Valentine day.

Snake his Voivod vox, I like Negatron and Phobos but Eric was not OUT THERE like Snake who is lost in a warp that is been abducted by alien junkies.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 09, 2003 05:31     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good point made on the Jack Luminous front. That probably is his best all-round performance, purely because it shows off his different styles. I really like some of the more haunting styles on Angel Rat but have to agree with Syl on the begining of Brain Scan. It's vocal parts like that where he truly became unique.
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted January 09, 2003 06:10     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's kind of hard to explain this, but I prefer to judge songs more by the feeling rather than techical points. These songs come to mind first:

Freedoom
Jack Luminous
Macrosolutions to Megaproblems
Tornado
Angel Rat
Sub-Effect...oh hell, and the rest of NF too!
Cosmic Drama
The Lost Machine

I better listen through the whole catalog to make sure I didn't mistakenly forget something

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted January 09, 2003 12:09     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyway I will always prefer a fucked up vocal like Snake too anything like the one on Dream Theater. I think those singers known how to sing but it just blow. Hail Snake !
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted January 09, 2003 12:49     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know about best performance, but I remember buying Hatross when it came out, and being COMPLETELY unprepared for the vocal styling.
I don't think I'd ever heard such an imaginative use of vocals and effects on an album I'd bought.
Nothingface built on that, but I'll never forget frowning and laughing my way through that first listen.

A few months later I was raiding a friends Beefheart and Talking Heads collection for the 1st time, which I reckon says a lot...

micjambat
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 177

posted January 09, 2003 14:59     Profile for micjambat   Email micjambat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Roger Waters is not the BEST vocalist- he has an odd style, but nobody sais he can't sing. Even moreso, Bob Dylan. I think Snake is unique, and he's got style- razzamatazz- pinache- he sounds like a genetic experiment gone terribly wrong, and I dig it!!!
manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted January 09, 2003 17:02     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey, king kula, still waiting on your wrath hombre
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 10, 2003 08:17     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by manipulator:
hey, king kula, still waiting on your wrath hombre

Well...I keep seeing the 'Jack Luminous' name pop-up, so...I will withhold the Wrath of Kula for a better cause.
-Like Frying Yuri beneath an X-Ray Devil Sun in HELL!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 10, 2003 08:49     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why has no one mentioned the RRROOOAAARRR!!! album yet? Are you all fucking deaf?
ahokko
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 179

posted January 10, 2003 11:34     Profile for ahokko   Email ahokko     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You just said it! I really enjoy Snake's warcries! I think the sound of the new songs are ok, but it's the singer who makes if it's raw or whining! Think what difference does it make when Zack de la Rocha or Eddie Vedder sings the same song. I want ..or even demand ROARing to my new Voivod songs. The new ones, a bit lame.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 10, 2003 11:38     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Are you all fucking deaf?

Quite frankly, yes. I'm not going to wax poetic on Snake's singing (no offense to those who love his voice but I always thought he was the weakestlink in the original Vod) but I think he's a better yeller than a singer.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 11, 2003 05:43     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
He 'sings' better on the later stuff

btw, thanks for the AR demos Warcorpse. Speaking of the new 3-song promo, as far as "whiny-vox" go, these AR demos almost are a "premonition" to what was to come later on with TOL and possibly with this new release as well. I guess I'm just not used to these songs without the "harmony vox"...I guess it kinda sounds like a demo IMHO

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 11, 2003 06:33     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've always enjoyed singers who sound different from everyone else, and have a unique voice.
Snake found his voice on Killing Tech and defined it on Dim. Hat. and has been GREAT ever since (IMHO), even in Union Made and the new promo.
Other Vox Gods (again IMHO):
Vedder: he was very original vbut now has so many imitators, yet this does not take away the fact he is the best.
Gillan: The true master of scream
Dickinson: the Gillan of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal
Halford: the god of metal
Steve Wilson: emotional, convincing, great delivery, knows when and when not to sing
Water: psycho-schitzo-emotional-mental (better in Floyd than solo)
Belew: as unique as his playing
Chuck Billy: the closest thing to death metal cookie monster vocal delivery that I love. He blends singing and growling better than any (at least those that I've heard)
Maynard: nothing needs to be said
Blitz Ellsworth - lunitic, insane unique
Ty Tabor - melody & groove

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted January 11, 2003 15:05     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like singers for pretty much the same reason. I love Belew and Halford too. Also Cpt. Beefheart, Morrissey, Scott Walker, Mark E. Smith (The Fall.). Possibly a favourite in: Frank Black/Black Francis.

I think Snake's in good company amongst that lot.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 11, 2003 21:00     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For me, peoples, its more of what the GUITAR sounds like...rather than anything else.

Its kinda strange...being a Drummer and thinking about the Guitar (and Bass) sound in music more but, thats what i like! That and a damn good Keyboard Sound (U.K., Asia, Styx, ELP, ELO.) ...will get me more than what is going on in the Drum section or the Vocals.

Guitars i love are...

Piggy - Voivod
John 5 - Marilyn Manson
James Iha - Smashing Pumpkins
Ed Mundell - Atomic Bitchwax
etc..etc...

For Vocalists...my Favorite would be Marilyn Manson.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 11, 2003 21:41     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How could I leave out Mike Patton!!! He's one insane SOB.

I guess never having mastered any instrument, the vocalist is the first thing that gets my attention when listening to music.

Who can suggest to be a band with a vocalist similar to Chuck Billy...some growling but real good heavy brutal voice? Also needs cool music.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 12, 2003 15:17     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey warcorpse, that surprised me that you stuck John Arch in your list. He's totally different than everyone else you mentioned.

Interesting...very interesting

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan