my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The music industry STILL owes you $20!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The music industry STILL owes you $20!
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 08, 2003 11:46     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Americans this one's for you.

quote:
The music industry STILL owes you $20!

Man, this is disappointing. Every US resident who bought a CD in the US between 1995 and 2000 is entitled to up to $20 from the music cartel as part of a court-mandated settlement over the labels' illegal price-fixing, which is one way that the music industry has ripped off the public.

All you need to do is sign up at this site, and the RIAA will mail you a check. If so many people sign up that the settlement ends up getting spread too thin, the RIAA will mail charitable organizations the checks instead. You can't lose!

Unless you don't sign up. Despite notices of the settlement in TV Guide and throughout blogistan, the cash remains unclaimed. What are you waiting for? Claim it!

|  IP: Logged
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 08, 2003 12:53     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here is something interresting from that site:

The cash paid by the Defendants, after the payment of attorneys' fees, litigation and Settlement administration costs, shall be distributed to consumers who purchased Music Products. The number of claims filed will determine the actual amount of the individual refund but will not exceed $20.00 per claimant. If the number of claims filed would result in refunds of less than $5.00 per claimant, there will be no cash distribution to individual consumers. Rather, the cash portion of the Settlement shall be distributed to not-for-profit, charitable, governmental or public entities to be used for music-related purposes or programs for the benefit of consumers who purchased Music Products.

:::

Basically, the Industry will eventually get a lot of that 67 & 75 Million back.
I seriously doubt that anyone will receive a $20 Check. It will be rigged so that the amount of payout per Claimant will fall below the $5 mark...and will go to certain Charities that will benefit the Music Industry in the long term anyways.

The same kinda thing happened in the Blockbuster Video Lawsuit. Blockbuster, instead of sending out Checks to the Claimants (Kula being one)...instead were allowed to send COUPONS for Free Video Rentals....AT BLOCKBUSTER! This benefited them by getting the People who were ripped-off...back into the Stores.
Kula hasnt been back.

Corporate America OWNES the Justice System.
99% of the time...Cases are rigged to be like a big Loop right back into theyre Pockets.

Meanwhile...we are stuck paying $17.99 for CD's that have a total Cost of around $1 to make and distribute.

Makes me want to move to a small deserted Island just to get away from all the Corporate greed.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 08, 2003 23:06     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I signed yesterday, and all of this occured to me as I was filling out the form.

The best solution would be to keep count of the claimants and stop the sign-on process when it reaches the max.

Of course, this would be completely impossible, but it sure would feel good to ensure that these greedy bastards would have to pay up.

More bands need to take advantage of direct-to-consumer internet sales and eliminate this BS once and for all.

tattooedsean777
VoivodFan
Member # 128

posted January 08, 2003 23:33     Profile for tattooedsean777   Email tattooedsean777     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i love places like www.theendrecords.com and www.willowtip.com that keep cds cheap or bands like the rollins band that sell directly thru their website.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 09, 2003 07:46     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
More bands need to take advantage of direct-to-consumer internet sales and eliminate this BS once and for all.

ABSOLUTELY!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan