my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Sum up Voivod in 3 tracks (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Sum up Voivod in 3 tracks
Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted January 07, 2003 08:48     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a mate who's (sadly) Metallica daft.

I told him about the whole Jasonic thingy but he had heard of (but not heard) Voi-vod.

So he asked me to sum up Voi-vod in 3 tracks

I'm struggling.

Even if you take 1 early, 1 mid, and 1 modern, it sounds like 3 totally different bands.

How do you sum up all those years of progression in three tracks????

I'm suggesting:

Forgotten in Space / Jack L. / Planet Hell

but the jumps are soooooo big to realise it's 1 band??

Please help

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 07, 2003 09:36     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is a great question. I'm not sure if you could pick three because for the trilogy you must listen to each entire album.
But I'd say,
1)Ravenous Medicine
2)Macrosolutions
3)The Unknown Knows

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted January 07, 2003 09:36     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah-ha - good point

but even if I go for the modern stuff, he may not appreciate the W+P days ahead of the influx of USA Skate / Hardcore bands like Arenalin OD, Accused, DxRxI and Cro Mags in the 80's

If I had 9 tracks to chose from 3 era's it would be so much easier but Tribal might just about sum them up for me?

Following Mezcal's suggestions, I'd miss off the whole Eric section which has it's highlights too

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 07, 2003 10:06     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damnitt Warcorpse! Angel Rat is one brilliant Album...WITH a really great production!

But...as for 3 songs...

Hell...i just dont know.
You cant sum-up Voivod in just 3 Songs.
Just cant be done.

This is because the Music is ever-Evolving and changing.
The Music itself (without the Vocal Tracks) is constantly moving and tells a story within itself. Hope that dont sound too corny, but look at these other Bands with ever-evolving music...

YES, KING CRIMSON. Could you sum them up in just 3 songs? No.

I could easily sum up Metallica in just 3 songs.
Thats because the music isnt as diverse and evolving as that of Voivod.
Its just chops and more chops. Like playing the Guitar with a Razor Blade for a pik! lol!

Good luck trying to explain all this to a Metalli-head.
My advise would be to just play him YOUR Favorite Voivod selections. But be sure to include 'Freedoom' from Angel Rat. Just for Warcorpse.

Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted January 07, 2003 10:20     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's almost imposible to sum up a whole musical career in three tracks, specially with VOIVOD... I'd better pick three albums, that may ilustrate the VOIVOD evolution:
- Killing
- Dimension
- Nothingface

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 07, 2003 10:21     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Play him 'Brain Scan' followed by 'Angel Rat' and finally 'Phobos' title track. That should show him how impossible it is to slot this band into any genre other than 'music'. Once you have shown him the light, it is up to him to find his way in!!
Or then again play him any song then ask what he liked/disliked about it and then find the next track to suit his taste. By time you get to track 3 he'll be sold!

Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted January 07, 2003 10:31     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It would be a sin if you don't make him listen to '' Into my hypercube '' or like Mez said '' The unknown knows '' . And since he's a big Metalica fan , I think that the songs i've mentioned would be great to convert such kind of person : can't be more melodic and the lyrics are just damn hot .

So ,make him listen his 3 songs and lend him your nothingface cd

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted January 07, 2003 10:46     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I knew this would cause controversy

Brain scan is up there, but since the lad is also a guitar player and a thrasher, I'd be more inclined to go for these; killing tech, dimension and maybe a live number like Insect?

I give up

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted January 07, 2003 11:12     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's not that simple - he's into the lot.
I reckon from a player's point of view he's into Puppets, but from a listener's view probably Black

Sad but True

I really want to open the door for him prior to the new tour but dont want to pad the whole thrash era just in case the new CD is diverse

anyone lend me a time machine (and I aint talking about Joe Satrianni compilations????)

FantasticPlanet
VoivodFan
Member # 169

posted January 07, 2003 11:19     Profile for FantasticPlanet   Email FantasticPlanet     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1. Brain Scan
2. The Unknown Knows
3. The Prow

Angel Rat is full of some of the best guitar solo's Piggy has created. An I'm not a huge fan of fancy guitar solos but Piggy takes the cake on that record.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted January 07, 2003 12:00     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tornado
Pre-Ignition
Freedoom

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted January 07, 2003 18:01     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ravenous Medicine
Brain Scan
Jack Luminous

Cockroach
VoivodFan
Member # 115

posted January 07, 2003 19:07     Profile for Cockroach   Email Cockroach     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First give him a slap for giving such stupid requirements (sum up a band in 3 songs???), then roll him a joint and make him listen to DH and Nothingface
Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted January 07, 2003 19:36     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tribal Conviction
The unknown knowns
Jack Luminous

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 07, 2003 20:00     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd show:

Tornado
Inner combustion
Mercury

But don't ask me why.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 07, 2003 21:00     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just 3 tracks? That's bullshit. Just throw the whole catalog at him, and he'll figure out himself what he likes or doesnt like. Nobody's opinion is as good as your own. Always.

Oh yah, and smack him upside the head for being a M*******A fan.

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted January 08, 2003 04:55     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"First give him a slap for giving such stupid requirements (sum up a band in 3 songs???), then roll him a joint and make him listen to DH and Nothingface "

Cockroach, you are welcome at my house anytime dude !!!!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted January 08, 2003 06:35     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nuclear War
Brainscan
Golem

Nanoman?

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 08, 2003 06:37     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gasmask Revival
Rebel Robot
We Carry On.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted January 08, 2003 07:07     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hahahaha!
LMAO!

good one h!

Blackguard
VoivodFan
Member # 61

posted January 08, 2003 12:45     Profile for Blackguard   Email Blackguard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
3 songs ??? not enough !!
Here's a couple I suggest for a good start:
-Voivod
-ravenous medecine
-tribal conviction
-the unknown knows
-the prow
-Mercury
And after that I suggest going album by album
in chronological order...
he should be one of us after that.
Good luck !

troyvod
VoivodFan
Member # 112

posted January 09, 2003 17:33     Profile for troyvod   Email troyvod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
3 songs!!!!!! That's making life way too hard
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 10, 2003 04:19     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1)Nuclear War
2)Brainscan
3)Jack Luminous

*and any other songs not listed above

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 10, 2003 04:34     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...or just let him borrow Dimension Hatross, The Outer Limits, and Phobos.
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted January 10, 2003 05:11     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NO ONE is borrowing my Dimension Hatröss.

be it for the cause.

NOT ANYONE!!!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan