my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » what do i want from voivod??

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what do i want from voivod??
piggysMYgod
VoivodFan
Member # 158

posted January 03, 2003 01:05     Profile for piggysMYgod   Email piggysMYgod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Its a question i ve been asking lately,i like the new songs but there not what i wanted, but What do i want? another dimension?killing tech?nothingface?phobos?ect??? no i dont! b/c i have those albums,i ve heard those albums and so has voivod,look at ac/dc they've played the same song for 30 years b/c thats all they can do , but a band like voivod needs to change, reinvent? maybe I'm just making accuses or i just cant admit that these three songs are not as technical as i wanted, but thats what i have there old albums for!either way, voivod has givin me so much , i love there art!!! and i want them to succeed,so they cant keep on recording,
so before i judge i HAVE to listen to the whole album,

And to all you newstead haters, remeber onething, if i where a millionare,and my fav band was stuggling to $uport there art,i wouldnt even think about it twice, so i thank newstead for helping my fav band make music!!!!

ok i m done ranting VOIVOD RULES!!!!

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 03, 2003 06:17     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VOIVOD have always reminded me of KING CRIMSON in the fact that both bands consistantly evolve their sound which means sometimes loosing their audience that liked them for a particular album, but hopefully gaining listeners and opening the minds of their core fans. I respect a band MORE and like them MORE when they challenge their listeners by doing something different than their previous efforts. Each record should sound unique to itself and not like the last one. I get bored of bands who can't change their approach...they become very redundant.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 03, 2003 08:16     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I get bored of bands who can't change their approach...they become very redundant.

Agreed, unless the band has the talent of doin' always the same thing and still be capable of maintaining relevance. AC/DC, Motörhead and the late Ramones come to mind as an example of that.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 03, 2003 10:46     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by piggysMYgod:

And to all you newstead haters, remeber onething, if i where a millionare,and my fav band was stuggling to $uport there art,i wouldnt even think about it twice, so i thank newstead for helping my fav band make music!!!!

Agreed. This was a win-win situation for the band. But it might be a short term solution if the album doesn't sell.

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted January 03, 2003 11:59     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I understand Voivod's desire for more recognition (and $$$) after being in the business for so many years and they definitely deserve it!

But let me explain myself: I never said I hated Jason, just that I have never been a fan and that comes from the fact that I stopped listening to Metallica many, many years ago (so maybe I missed out on something there). So I guess I always equated Metallica to being losers who gave the record companies what they wanted therefore making music that was stale and boring and repetitive in their later years. Wasn't Jason with them then??? But I stand by my comment about Jason seeming like a "savior" cause it still irks me that he is the sole member promoting the band as if he's been in it for years. I guess my worst fear is hearing someone saying, "Have you heard Jason Newstead's new band?!" I also did not know that Voivod was Jason's favorite band so that makes it a little more bearable for me.

So let him prove to me (yes, ME) that he is worthy of being a member of Voivod cause after hearing the new stuff, he hasn't so far. Maybe one day I will be able to say, "Hey, that Jason dude is kinda cool!" and you all can start in with the 'I told you so's'.

I love Voivod and have truly enjoyed their music over the years, but believe me, I am not giving up yet! Only time and a full length album will tell

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted January 03, 2003 12:22     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I always liked Jason in his Metallica days. He seemed to be a pretty nice, down-to-earth guy. Let's face it, though - he's about as responsible for Metallica's post-88 musical direction as I am. The funny thing is that only after joining Voivod has he begun to irk me. His Chophouse posts are enthusiastic (as I would be if I got to play bass in my favorite band), but they verge on being ANNOYING. Especially the 'challenge' to Metallica. Whatever! My opinion is that the band doesn't need that kind of attention. The music should speak volumes for the band, not dopey soundbites.

That being said, Voivod wouldn't get a byline on MTV.com (most likely) without JN being in the band. It's a give-and-take situation - they come across to the uninitiated as being 'Jason's new band', but we diehards know the deal.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to guess that Jason will only be with the band for a little while longer. If things REALLY took off, maybe he'd stick around. In all seriousness, I would wager good money on Blacky coming back into the fold for a final album and a final tour. It's almost inevitable! My guess is that the guys have probably thought about it already, and have it in their back pocket.

Blacky, does it suck to have people speak for you like that? I'm just being wishful.

manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted January 03, 2003 12:33     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kane:
It's almost inevitable!

"there will be great signs in the
sky"

yeah, a 'vod signal

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted January 03, 2003 12:36     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"TO THE VODCAVE!!!"

Hey, Manipulator - you ARE the same Manipulator who used to write to us in the Iron Gang back in the day, right? Been a long time. I still have a few letters from you, one with a message telling us some of the song titles from the "upcoming Nothingface album".

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 03, 2003 12:37     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Manipulator, do you have Piggy's torch lit? It's a little cold to do welding, don't you think?

(Yes Kane, he is the one and only Manipulator.)

manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted January 03, 2003 13:14     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yup, that's me

nia, i will spank you. You really have to stop insinuating i indulge in the greenie

piggysMYgod
VoivodFan
Member # 158

posted January 03, 2003 16:31     Profile for piggysMYgod   Email piggysMYgod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you got to admit its pretty cool that a guy can leave one of the biggest $$$$ bands around for a french canadian band who have stuggled to make ends meet,i think its proves that metallica have become bussiness men, and the music is a second where now there bussiness men!maybe newstead is trying to "out do" metallica, so he found a band and is trying "kick metallicas ass" but my advice to newstead is LOOK AT DAVE MUSTAINE he spent his whole career trying to get back at his old mates and for that his music started to slip,dont get me wrong ive always have like the deth over metallica but daves made some poo poo over the last decade.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted January 03, 2003 20:10     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Regardless of what any of us want from the new album, ultimately it's what THE BAND wants that counts. After all it's their music. As long as they are satisfied with it and can say to themselves that "this is the album we wanted to make right here and now" that's all that counts.
I think the 3 new tracks kick ass and I can't wait to get the full album in March. But then again, I liked Angel Rat almost as much as Dimension Hatross. I had no expectations as to how it would sound, as long as it sounded good. Which, so far, I think it does.
So what do I want out of the new Voivod? A fucking tour where they come to Winnipeg so I can buy the guys some beers and thank them all (including Jasonic) for putting out killer tunes that make me one happy fuckin' metalhead.

piggysMYgod
VoivodFan
Member # 158

posted January 03, 2003 22:21     Profile for piggysMYgod   Email piggysMYgod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
cheers vampire!! hope they come to
quesnel bc!!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 03, 2003 22:34     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Right-on, Nuc V!

FantasticPlanet
VoivodFan
Member # 169

posted January 04, 2003 23:16     Profile for FantasticPlanet   Email FantasticPlanet     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
What do I want from Voivod? Release all the irongang tapes on CD.

As far as the new stuff is concerned, I was hoping for a metal album. My guess is that these 3 promo songs are not intendend for someone like me. Maybe not even intended for most Voivod fans. They are aimed at a different....new audience. Voivod can write whatever that want to, I'm not forced to buy it, I already own their best stuff.

No offense but what else would you call the three new songs? They're metal, maybe not the kind of metal you perfer but they're metal to be for sure. The more I listen to them the more I like them. I can't wait to see them live. I think the only real problem I have with the new line up is that Newstead seems to be the one voice of the band. I really get the feeling they're trying to reach a more broad crowd and maybe they think he's the tool they need to do so? I'm ok with it now only because before Newstead joined Voivod's future seemed grim after the release of E-Force from the group. But it's sure going to suck if Voivod becomes a mainstream band you hear on the local radio station all the time. There is a fineline between being big or way to big (shoved down your throat big). I'm gonna keep my PMA and stand behind them 100% and hope for the best. It would be cool to see them get the recognition they deserve on the financial end and still keep their cult status integrity.

FantasticPlanet
VoivodFan
Member # 169

posted January 04, 2003 23:39     Profile for FantasticPlanet   Email FantasticPlanet     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
The first and third are hard radio rock, the middle is nu-metal (pretend they are all wearing masks, then listen).

And turntables

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 05, 2003 06:03     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snake used to wear a "gasmask"
Maybe they'll play with Mudvayne

One of the main reasons I DON'T listen to the radio is so I can still enjoy bands that have (had)become larger than life and overplayed...Pearl Jam, AIC, and Soundgarden being the 2 main groups that come to mind that were all overkilled on FM...and Vedder had mentioned this years ago that if he wasn't 'in' the band he would probably hate Pearl Jam because of all the times Jeremy was shoved down everyones ears...that's why they reworked it and played it totally different when they were on tour that year, so it sounded fresh again.

Now they don't have that problem!!!

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted January 05, 2003 11:31     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What do i want ? humm good question. I tell ya though,im listening to rebelrobot and it dont sound to me like it is aimed to a new group of people/(:theres no raping or funky digital loops).Thats what the new audience is listening to. I HEAR VOIVOD all the way baby Just like most of their material before,[its been hard for the mind to process at first]but then all the sudden it sinks on in. To tell ya the truth-(this is what i wannt. Voivod making the strange and beautiful music they always have."To me,my biggest let down was the release of Negatron !" dont get me wrong,i love all the haevy shit and ive been part of the old school scene,but it was not voivod to me(musically), GOD its awsome to hear Snakes vocals again!! Im also sure this will go through alot of mixdown and some editing ? but im lovin what im hearin.(all i have is rebel robot)but THANKS MAN !!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan