my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » After hearing the new songs... (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: After hearing the new songs...
Foot
VoivodFan
Member # 60

posted January 03, 2003 12:23     Profile for Foot   Email Foot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't give a shit whether the songs are heavy or not. I like Angel Rat and Outer Limits. I like Phobos and Negatron (yes, that's right, Negatron). I think Killing Technology through Nothingface is amazing. These songs just plain aren't interesting to me. They are dull and retread old ground.

Hear's my bullshit opinion:
These three are terrible as stand alone songs and shouldn't have been picked for a promo as representative of the Voivod sound. They have more in common with Union Made than Voivod. Checking out Kane's thread though, I see the two simpler songs bookend the album. While I'm shocked that Gasmask Revival even made it onto the album, let alone first song, I can understand that these may be the intro and the outro. Sort of meant to ease new listeners in and give them something anthemic to close with.

I hope this is the case, and I do think that Rebel Robot may be a clue that the meat of the album has more to offer.

Like Warcorpse said, everyone's has a right to their opinion, so if some people dig the simplicity here, great. Personally, I need Voivod to be more inventive and complex. I hope the rest of the album puts these songs into context.

|  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 03, 2003 12:59     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know what? I kinda like it. It's not thier best stuff by far, but it's also not thier worst. How the rest of the record stands up is anybody's guess. I'm just glad it doesn't sound like 'M-body'
And as for all the Jason good/bad waffle, ask yourself if there would have been another Voivod record if he wasn't involved. I have no idea, but I have my doubts. It's good. Not great, but definately good.
Just as long as the tour brings live versions of KT / DH / NF tunes, I'll be a happy bunny.

DRCHAKA
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 70

posted January 03, 2003 15:32     Profile for DRCHAKA   Email DRCHAKA     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I unfortunately haven't heard the sampler yet. King F. of Deceased said it rules, since he is a metallion, I'll believe it...
My question is... How come there are hardly any comparisons to "War and Pain"? Have they strayed that far away from it?
I hope not. Also, there are barely any references to their first album anywhere on this board. Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong spots? Either way, I will be following this tour all along the eastern seaboard.

P.S. Do you think Gaysonic has learned the bass lines to "Jack Luminous"?
lol

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 04, 2003 06:06     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
H wrote "I'm just glad it doesn't sound like 'M-body' "

AMEN to that brother!!!

The band hasn't sounded like War & Pain because Snake has been actually SINGING since Killing Technology was released and if he didn't change the way he sung he probably wouldn't be able to sing anymore from tearing up his throat. I'm glad he doesn't sound like he did on the first 2 albums.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 05, 2003 02:20     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...eats like a grinder...a grinder...a GRINDERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!---
Yea, too many of those and Snake would lose his bite so to speak
I'm happy with the new songs, it's Voivod and although not as heavy or metal as Jason touted it to be, it still is heavy and metal. Maybe the next one will be harder?
These songs sound 100 times better than shit on the radio.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted January 05, 2003 12:04     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
to quote FOOT ::- ("I would have thought these guys would have given up on trying to be commercially successful by now. They must be aware that their reputation is based on being a cult band. What good is success if it isn't on their own terms?")::

Man now thats heavy philosophy there,whats to say they didnt achieve great sucsess ? what is the meaning of sucsess? wealth ? mabye so but it all depends on how you look at the world.like someone who sees or someone who is lead.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted January 05, 2003 17:45     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They GOOD songs. Good rock songs, that is...

OK...It's not 'Nothingface on steroids' but What The Fuck anyway. They sound like they were having fun (right on). Point of criticism? Well...the vocals may be a bit dominating in the mix...but I hope that will be fixed. I still hope 'Multiverse' will be a bit more 'off-the-wall'. We'll see bout that...

Fav song: 'We Carry On'

Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted January 05, 2003 22:57     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is impossible to judge the production quality or lack therof based on pre-mastered mp3 downloads. Patience, young padawans.

And btw, "Rebel Robot" rocks my hairy anus!

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted January 06, 2003 09:27     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I must go along with H's views

So long as they are touring, then the new CD is a godsend. Hopefully Jason's inclusion will allow more publicity (esp in the UK) for the band.

I for one am waiting in anticipation.

P.s. Every cd has songs I like and some I dont like as much (precious few I hate) so I would expect a mixed bag reception here between the Nothingface crew and the Killing Technology brigade.

Put it this way, I can't have their complete back catalogue without the new CD - So 1 copy sold to the PUP and bring on the tour

I might have to go and see them abroad this year also (maybe Germany if anyone is around?)

H and 'Hellicopter - fancy an away day?

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 06, 2003 10:08     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pup:
H and 'Hellicopter - fancy an away day?

Oh yeah! I'm planning on following the tour to a few different places, if possible. Also depending on how much old stuff they do on the first night. Then again, I've almost finished putting my new band together with the sole intention of getting an opening slot at one of the venues! Just to achieve another dream!
Also Pup, I have another shirt here for you. Is your address the same?

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted January 06, 2003 11:06     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dude - yes the addy is the same - cheers me dears for the trade.

If you want to follow the tour dates, I'm well up for that. The missus will let me off the leash for that one for sure, so long as I leave the keys to my stash and the password to my amazon account !!!

Keep me well informed of details - maybe we can get jobs backstage for the European leg?
There must be a need to keep Piggy's axes in tune or something???

What do you think Voivod - Jobs for the old Iron Gang or can we blag the guestlist if we travel????

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 06, 2003 15:33     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm just hoping they come to the Southwest of England (or even Wales, but that's pushing it) because I DO NOT wanna have to go to friggin' Birmingham. I HATE Birmingham!
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 07, 2003 05:21     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh man... I have a grievence with Birmingham ever since me and a friend drove up there to see Athiest play a one off show. The gig was cancelled, Bennediction (shite) played instead and the car engine blew up on the way home. Not a good vibe place for me !!!
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 07, 2003 07:43     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DEpends when they tour, but yeah, I'd be up for some travaling! I'm moving to Wales this year, so hopefully it won't clash.

At least I can see SYL when they play The Forum in March. Anyone else up for that?

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted January 07, 2003 08:35     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Send me the details dude

Next few gigs lined up are...

Tori Amos (yes but she did do a quirky cover of Raining Blood)

Beerzone in Camden, London (which I might guest guitar for a couple of tracks)

Mad Capsule Markets, Brighton, March

All are welcome to join in

izgoblin
VoivodFan
Member # 178

posted January 10, 2003 09:46     Profile for izgoblin   Email izgoblin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've listened to the 3 new tracks three times apiece since I got them last night, and while I agree that they're not as complex as we might like, I am still glad as hell that Snake is singing instead of Eric. The songs aren't as heavy as they might be, but I'll still happily spin this CD when it is released. I do hope that this is the kind of music that the band wanted to release, though. I'm not feeling that - no matter how "mainstream" some think these songs are - there is much likelihood that this material will get airplay in the US. It may be more commercial than the Voivod we're used to, but it's still not commercial enough to sell hundreds of thousands of copies.

For reference, I love all Snake-era Voivod, including ANGEL RAT, so I don't care if this new CD won't be as heavy as KT. As long as the songs are melodic and we don't have Eric screaming over the riffs, I'm thrilled to hear that 20 years after their formation, we're still getting new releases from Voivod.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan