my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » After hearing the new songs... (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: After hearing the new songs...
Adolf
VoivodFan
Member # 170

posted January 01, 2003 02:43     Profile for Adolf   Email Adolf     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
is anyone else just itching to hear the album recorded earlier with Eric Forrester instead of this crap? Phobos was a classic. The live songs leaked from the Eric Forrester record were great.

The promo songs of the new album were frankly very disappointing pop-rock. And don't be kidding yourself, the full record is not magically going to be radically different than those songs. Voivod has a knack of doing coherent records, which is a strength usually.

I hope the songs recorded with Eric are going to be released in a few years to wrap up the Voivod legacy properly.

|  IP: Logged
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted January 02, 2003 04:00     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that was Rick Forrester, wasn't it?
Adolf
VoivodFan
Member # 170

posted January 02, 2003 13:55     Profile for Adolf   Email Adolf     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hahah yeah... Eric Forrest.

Let this be a lesson to every kid out there: When coming out of new years party totally drunk, do not go writing on message boards unless you want to make a total fool out of yourself.

FantasticPlanet
VoivodFan
Member # 169

posted January 02, 2003 16:45     Profile for FantasticPlanet   Email FantasticPlanet     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, but Phobos sounded like dog shit production wise. Not to mention Eric's vocals consisted of only screaming. If that's what you like then cool? I grew very tired of that sound. The bass lines Eric displayed were simplistic at best due to double duty singing/vocals. I agree there were some good tunes but I only liked about 30% of the material with Eric. Not to mention Voivod live with Eric was very different from the Voivod of the aerly 90's, being that Voivod live with Eric sounded flat and one dimensional as opposed to earlier Voivod that was more a full package sound and perfromance wise. And this comes from a guy who has seen them at least a dozen times dating back to 1986.
The new songs though more simplistic sound great and refreshing to me. Everybody's expecting Nothingface or Dimension and I just think that's asking too much, I mean that was a long time ago and would be difficult to reproduce. Granted Piggy made the statement "Nothingface on steriods", I would chalk that up to a guy who would like to recreate the success they achvied on that record. A band has to evolve and I think they've done that, and believe me I'm no Newstead fan. In a perfect world Blacky would have been on the record. I'm happy the boys are at it again and lets not be to critical until we here the record all the way through. I mean fuck, you guys have only heard the "mainstream" sounding songs so far, let's be patient and wait till the record is out. Lastly, you can't blame the guys for making a product a little more mainstream? They are all approaching 40 if not already and probably would like to achieve more album sales. It's obvious they did'nt become rich with all those awsome records from the past and don't be too hard on the guys for trying to become a liitle more mainstream than before. I would like to see Voivod retire comfortably myself meaning Away, Piggy, and Snake.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 02, 2003 17:07     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Um, nobody retires on one record. And since when does turning 40 mean going mainstream? You can make edgy rock music, the Ramones did it, for example. I don't think anyone here wishes Voivod any ill will, this forum has always been about saying what you think, not what others might want you to say. (The sheep can be found in the pen over at voivod.com. baa.)
FantasticPlanet
VoivodFan
Member # 169

posted January 02, 2003 17:24     Profile for FantasticPlanet   Email FantasticPlanet     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
Um, nobody retires on one record. And since when does turning 40 mean going mainstream? You can make edgy rock music, the Ramones did it, for example. I don't think anyone here wishes Voivod any ill will, this forum has always been about saying what you think, not what others might want you to say.

Really, So your saying that not one band out there has ever achieved enough record sales off of one record to live a good life? That's a joke. And I'm not talking about extravegant spending. Secondly, I would hardly call the new songs "mainstream". They may be more mainstream than their other records, but not to be confused with "Metallica" mainstream. As far as your last sentence goes, I totally agree with you, everyone has their own take and I respect that 100%. My whole point is that Voivod as an artist deserves a comfortable living off of the band the they've probably not achieved. We all know that they blown away 99% of band's out there on an artistic level alone. I hate that bands like Metallica are millionaires for putting out crap and the truly bad ass creative groups get nothing in the end. Who knows maybe a break through on this record would spark record sales with the older material? That would be cool!

Foot
VoivodFan
Member # 60

posted January 02, 2003 17:37     Profile for Foot   Email Foot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi, just thought I'd pop by seeing as I haven't checked out this site in a while and what do I find? Three new songs by one of the world's most unique bands. And these songs sound like every other "alternative" rock band since the Pixies. What the fuck?!! These three entirely lack everything that made Voivod cool (the chords, the time sigs, the multi-dimensional instrumentation, personality). These songs are boring. I couldn't wait for them to finish just to see if maybe the next song might sound like Voivod.

After being shocked and dissappointed I took the time to acquaint myself with some of the posts here and the reaction seems to be mixed, tending towards let down.

I would have thought these guys would have given up on trying to be commercially successful by now. They must be aware that their reputation is based on being a cult band. What good is success if it isn't on their own terms?

I'd also like to comment on a few things FantasticPlanet said (cool movie BTW). This isn't meant as an attack, just a counterpoint to your statements. Yeah the sound of Phobos is trashy and I never thought Eric-era lyrics approached the bizarre poetry written for Nothingface but the music was uncompromising. It was aggressive and fit the concept. Voivod going to war with his god on these new songs? I don't hear it.

The new songs sound simplistic and refreshing? If I want simple I have other musical resources that do it better. Besides isn't this ground already covered on AR and TOL (in a much more exciting manner, see "Freedoom"). I thought Voivod was about moving forward. This feels like regression. A comfort zone.

I guess they are entitled to their share of success but it's sad to see this last ditch attempt. It seems a little desperate.

I'm sorry I don't have anything more valuable to contribute than bitching but I felt the need to say something. If the rest of the album sounds like this, well... nothing good lasts forever. Time to spin KT and remember what innovation sounds like.

Matt K.
VoivodFan
Member # 90

posted January 02, 2003 17:46     Profile for Matt K.   Email Matt K.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I would have thought these guys would have given up on trying to be commercially successful by now. They must be aware that their reputation is based on being a cult band. What good is success if it isn't on their own terms?

I guess they are entitled to their share of success but it's sad to see this last ditch attempt. It seems a little desperate.

I couldn't say better.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 02, 2003 18:36     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FantasticPlanet, I'm not talking about people who have a back catalogue of successful material making a lot of money on one record - because all of the money that went into promoting the previous material has an effect on subsequent releases. I was referring to bands who are new to the mainstream audience. There are relatively few artists who have made just one record and retired on that money because an album that achieves that kind of success usually has a corporation behind it who promoted it and helped to generate the sales. There are exceptions. Nirvana's Nevermind did really well, but I still don't know that the band could retire on their cut of the profits, maybe someone here knows the actual numbers. Anyway, you're the one who said the new songs were mainstream and I quote you:
quote:
"I mean fuck, you guys have only heard the "mainstream" sounding songs so far,"
and I agree, they sound mainstream.

As for the Pixies, I couldn't compare these 3 songs to the Pixes without feeling really really guilty about it.

Foot
VoivodFan
Member # 60

posted January 02, 2003 18:56     Profile for Foot   Email Foot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
As for the Pixies, I couldn't compare these 3 songs to the Pixes without feeling really really guilty about it.

Yeah, same here. The comparison is to the endless stream of subpar followers of the Pixies and Husker Du that proliferated in the early 90's. Sometimes I'm not very clear when I'm angry. Also, I'm stupid.

FantasticPlanet
VoivodFan
Member # 169

posted January 02, 2003 19:28     Profile for FantasticPlanet   Email FantasticPlanet     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hear what you guys are saying and I do agree somewhat. I wanted nothing more than the original four to come back with a truly stellar record and tour. Man, the Dimension tour and the Nothingface tour were nothing less than awsome and inspiring. Rebel Robot was the first track I heard and I did'nt like it. When I heard the other two I felt much better. Jason is no Blacky. He could'nt touch that type of performance. maybe that's the problem with me, I feel the material's not been strong since Angel Rat. And that may be dueto the fact that Piggy and Blacky used to write and arrange together? I did like the Outer Limits though.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 02, 2003 20:44     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well said, Master Foot!! Where the hell have you been? I like that line, "Time to spin some KT." Ain't that the truth!!!!
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 03, 2003 02:16     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Warcorpse, I read your review of the promo, and I thought the same as you about Snake's vox being "whiny", kinda like TOL as well. At least you have to give "Angelrat" credit for having better vocals.

Of course we probably won't get another RRROOOAAARRR vocal performance, let alone...Nothingface.

Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted January 03, 2003 06:42     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[sarcasm] Blacky is a God ! Fuck ! It's written in the Bible that the next album will suck ! I prefer to be hooked in the past , in my bubble , listening at at some cool bands who like to scream that they would like to be dead and that they see worms in wounds and genocide stuff . I prefer the poetry that death metal gives us , it sound so nice Oh while i'm at it , i'll take my shotgun and blow my head off . Cool . Hey wait , before , let me sing you some Napalm death : '' RAWR RAWR RAWR ! , RAWR RAWR RAWR RAWR !!! ''[/sarcasm]

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 03, 2003 08:41     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foot:

Err... Does a "cult band" reputation stuff the belly of a musician? Would any of you hide your skills to maintain your "integrity" or something, instead of getting a good job on a big corporation and have an acceptable way of life? Sorry, people, but that's too much an innocent way of facing life for me. I'm not saying they HAVE to sellout or something, but, in the other hand, it seems some of you guys are so disappointed with these songs not being the expected "nothingface on steroids" that you didn't notice they are actually good songs. And money, if it actually comes for them, doesn't hurt! Again, I'd rather listen to Voivod on the radio than any other shit that goes on. Or else, I challenge anyone to point me some "mainstream band" who lately did a better song than any of the Voivod promo!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 03, 2003 08:43     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marginal:
[sarcasm] Blacky is a God ! Fuck ! It's written in the Bible that the next album will suck ! I prefer to be hooked in the past , in my bubble , listening at at some cool bands who like to scream that they would like to be dead and that they see worms in wounds and genocide stuff . I prefer the poetry that death metal gives us , it sound so nice Oh while i'm at it , i'll take my shotgun and blow my head off . Cool . Hey wait , before , let me sing you some Napalm death : '' RAWR RAWR RAWR ! , RAWR RAWR RAWR RAWR !!! ''[/sarcasm]

And this is a classic!

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted January 03, 2003 09:02     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi all, (sorry been away over the holidays and not able to dial up - happy new beer and all that)

The promo -
1st many thanks for getting me a copy.
2nd - Not too bad. I was hoping for a more rasping Snake and a more compressed Jasonic bass but generally not too bad.
3rd and final - it's all too easy to compare new with old (although it has the outer limits / nothingface feel to it) but for me I'll bide my time and wait to see how they cut it live.

Try not to be too critical - can you imagine the pressure on the guys to cut a classic? I for one will remain Iron Gang and cant wait for the UK tour.

To the death

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 03, 2003 09:39     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok...I agree with Slaytanic. lol!

I am totally amazed at how much whining most of you are doing over these three songs and how "Mainstream" you think they are.

I wonder if some of you hated the Idea of Voivod working with Jason so much...that you developed a negativity toward the new songs before even hearing them! Then...when you finally heard them...you looked for all the weaknesses in it and started whining!

"Waaaa...Snakes Voice is too weak and sounds funny..."
"Waaaa...It should have been Mixed differently..."
"Waaaa...Piggy is not being very Technical in the Music..."
"Waaaa...They have gone Mainstream..."
"Waaaa...They might get some Radio Airplay..."
...etc...etc...

I have seen mostly whining and criticism around here lately and very little actual support for these really good songs.

I've been listening to the 3 Promo songs...Nothingface...and Dimension Hatross...all in heavy rotation on my Stereo.
That way i could get a sense of how far Voivod has come between then and now.
I must say that 'We Carry On' has been playing through my head over and over...and its a really great song!

Everyone should listen to this new stuff a bit more closely and let it grow on you a bit before flying off the handle with undue criticism of Voivod's new Radio-Friendly direction.
Like Slaytanic...i would gladly listen to this stuff on the Radio ANY Day...other than the 'Saliva' or other 'Nu-Metal' crappy Band.

Let it be known...

King Kula really digs the new Voivod songs.
They did a great job...as they always do.

Cheers!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 03, 2003 10:00     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic :
Or else, I challenge anyone to point me some "mainstream band" who lately did a better song than any of the Voivod promo!

QOTSA kicks ass over the promo. imho.

And I agree about not having to let songs grow on you. Music isn't like fungus for fuck's sake. I don't feel I should have to listen to something 20 times to 'get it' and that's not whinning KKS. And I, for one, didn't have any negative feelings toward Jason pre-release, I like a lot of the old Metallica stuff. ........However, I do blame him for setting up my expectations for a heavy sound by constantly saying "KEEP IT HEAVY KEEP IT METAL"

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 03, 2003 10:15     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought the songs were good, a LOT heavier and more complex than much of the stuff that I have heard in quite a while. I mean, these songs may be more 'mainstream sounding', but it's still 'Voivod-mainstream'! It's not like the promotional songs have acoustic guitars and slow, orchestral sections, nor has Piggy stapled a wah-pedal to his foot. I think there'll certainly be some of the old-Voivod sounding prog thrash, with fiddly time changes and screaming chords that aren't on any chord charts ever made!
And if you think about it, thirteen four minute songs = fifty two minutes of music. CDs can hold about seventy eight minutes, so there'll probably be some longer ones too...
There, my two cents.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 03, 2003 11:11     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Remember there are still TEN tracks we haven't heard yet!
FantasticPlanet
VoivodFan
Member # 169

posted January 03, 2003 11:12     Profile for FantasticPlanet   Email FantasticPlanet     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula:
Ok...I agree with Slaytanic. lol!

I am totally amazed at how much whining most of you are doing over these three songs and how "Mainstream" you think they are.

I wonder if some of you hated the Idea of Voivod working with Jason so much...that you developed a negativity toward the new songs before even hearing them! Then...when you finally heard them...you looked for all the weaknesses in it and started whining!

"Waaaa...Snakes Voice is too weak and sounds funny..."
"Waaaa...It should have been Mixed differently..."
"Waaaa...Piggy is not being very Technical in the Music..."
"Waaaa...They have gone Mainstream..."
"Waaaa...They might get some Radio Airplay..."
...etc...etc...

I have seen mostly whining and criticism around here lately and very little actual support for these really good songs.

I've been listening to the 3 Promo songs...Nothingface...and Dimension Hatross...all in heavy rotation on my Stereo.
That way i could get a sense of how far Voivod has come between then and now.
I must say that 'We Carry On' has been playing through my head over and over...and its a really great song!

Everyone should listen to this new stuff a bit more closely and let it grow on you a bit before flying off the handle with undue criticism of Voivod's new Radio-Friendly direction.
Like Slaytanic...i would gladly listen to this stuff on the Radio ANY Day...other than the 'Saliva' or other 'Nu-Metal' crappy Band.

Let it be known...

King Kula really digs the new Voivod songs.
They did a great job...as they always do.

Cheers!

I agree 100%!!!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 03, 2003 11:15     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh good grief.

If those 10 songs aren't heavy then...well I don't know, I guess I just won't listen to them, but I'm sure someone else will which is just fine and dandy.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 03, 2003 11:21     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dont give a shit anyways. I still don't like the songs. Blow me.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 03, 2003 11:28     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hahahahahaha!!! Noitall and Skulhed...you are funny.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan