my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » New Songs - First Impressions (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: New Songs - First Impressions
piggysMYgod
VoivodFan
Member # 158

posted December 31, 2002 08:01     Profile for piggysMYgod   Email piggysMYgod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i dont know about annoying,but yeah i m dissapointed with the vocals the most,i think mostly b/c i love his vocals on the outer limits & nothing face.but there not bad, there just boring vocals compared to other voivod.at least he dont sound like eddie vedder!! like everyone eles these days.

I think i like we carry the best great lyrics,& rebel robot, but i m having a hard time with gas mask but then again i have not listen to anything else since i got this, maybe i m over playing it.................
..........lol(not the only one im sure)

|  IP: Logged
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted December 31, 2002 10:32     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dont agree with the Angel Rat comparisons. And here's why.

Angel Rat, for all intent and purposes, was still a weird album, with weird songs, and it had a depth and many layers of sounds. And it was still a very creative album as far as song structure and melody. This clearly aint. Panorama, for instance, still had a oddly shaped chorus for a "straight up" song.

These songs right here sound like the bland songs from The Outer Limits.. Like three new versions of Fix My Heart. Blah. Keep it heavy, Keep it metal? Shut the fuck up!

Let's break it down:

Gasmask Revival: Where's Lemmy? The opening riff sounds like Motorhead, with less bite. Sounds like something Dave Grohl would record.

Rebel Robot: Somewhat weird, close but no cigar. The last part of the song is the only thing out of these three songs that sound like Voivod.

We Carry On: Another Fix My Heart clone. Boring. What's on tv?

I really hope that they kept the weirdo tunes for the actual record, because this right here doesnt live up to the hype. At all. Nothingface on steroids? Dude, put that bong down.

Uhm... actually... "Nothingface on steroids", that makes sense. Arent steroids supposed to shrink your balls?

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted December 31, 2002 10:59     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I disagree with these new songs being better Produced than Angel Rat.
But you knew i would say that, didnt you?

I only hope that Voivod can make a cool video where they are all wearing Pirate Shirts!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 31, 2002 13:42     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just downloaded the songs (didn't have the patience to wait for the package ). Still have to listen to them carefully, but they sound like sort of rough mixes for me. Sepultura did the same with Arise (at the time of Rock In Rio 2) and it has that same vocals-high-on-the-mix characteristic. Who knows, but I suppose we will still have to wait 'till March to get the entire stuff.
Seb YB1
VoivodFan
Member # 129

posted December 31, 2002 15:20     Profile for Seb YB1   Email Seb YB1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just re-listen to the video vv_112302 on the chophouse website and I thinks the music at the end is absolutely nothingface on steroids with an punk touch

what do you think ? The VOÏVOD will always be there !!

Please believe in the guys and be more positive !!

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted December 31, 2002 15:35     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dont have to be positive to please anyone. I'm not gonna lie either. I said what i thought about the songs, and that's it. I'm not about kissing ass and i'm not about to start either. I give praise where praise is due. I'm not gonna start to give props to something I dont like.
Seb YB1
VoivodFan
Member # 129

posted December 31, 2002 15:41     Profile for Seb YB1   Email Seb YB1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've talk about be more positive for the future, about the stuff that we didn't listen on the promo CD.

I am disapointed of the 3 tunes too but i am positive that the rest of the album will be better (very metal, as promised by newsted on this video)

Chaosmönger
VoivodFan
Member # 166

posted December 31, 2002 16:01     Profile for Chaosmönger   Email Chaosmönger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have yet to hear these new songs (don't have the 'net at home and can't listen to anything at work) but being that Newsted is in the band, I have my reservations. I didn't care for Jason-era Metallica and, from what I'm now reading here, I think Voivod may have decided to commercialize their sound again because he's in the band now and they hope this will finally be their chance to break out of the cult status in which they have been stuck for so many years. I'm still looking forward to the album, but I'm not too hopeful or expecting anything grand. I foresee The Multiverse becoming the biggest Voivod record to ever grace the cut-out bin, unfortunately. Even more so than Angel Rat (go ahead and flame me).
hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted December 31, 2002 16:53     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seb YB1:
very metal, as promised by newsted on this video)

What I want to know is, who died and made 'Jasonic' the Voivod spokesman and
savior (so it seems)!!!
That shit makes me want to PUKE (was never a fan of the guy, so shoot me)....does this bother anyone else besides me!?!?!

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted December 31, 2002 17:48     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep, Hyperpinglan, It seems that he's the man with the Captain's hat on. My worst fear is that jasonic is steering the ol' boat straight into the mainstream with the intension to park it in MTV bay. I think Rebel Robot is a good one and Seb has a point with that video, it sounds promising. Perhaps he's just over enthustiastic about being in the best band ever, who wouldn't be

By the way, i found your Immigrant song link today, it almost killed me

Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted December 31, 2002 17:55     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's gonna be tought to get MTV play when all the members are 40 and overweight.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 01, 2003 07:53     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bon Jovi seem to manage it...
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 01, 2003 09:36     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Having finally listened to all three I have to say WTF???? Who is this band? Only Rebel Robot sounds like the mighty VoiVod I knew. As for the other two: GasMask plays and four minutes later I'm still waiting to hear VoiVod. And We Carry On, oh man, I can't even comment.

This Vodhead is not happy.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 01, 2003 14:32     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vroomfondel:
Perhaps he's just over enthustiastic about being in the best band ever, who wouldn't be

Well that's okay, but I think if you're going to offer your old band a challenge and pepper your rhetoric with references to how metal you are it might be in your best interest to bring something heavy to the table, besides the poundage Nate mentioned, lol. (For the record I think Away could stand to gain some weight, and Bon Jovi are in the gym - a lot - plus have stylists. This kinda goes with MTV territory)

I agree with what you said about AR Skul -

quote:
Angel Rat, for all intent and purposes, was still a weird album, with weird songs, and it had a depth and many layers of sounds. And it was still a very creative album as far as song structure and melody.
I think these ultra simple arrangements are a poor choice for a band who gained attention for the crazy complexity of their style. Also these songs are all clearly written for the guitar and this hasn't been a riff-mania kind of band either. I'd like to know how much input Jason had on the writing end, I think very little which is too bad because he might have contributed something more substantial than the blah blah he's been doing with the media.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 01, 2003 19:18     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You got that right, Noitall, someone please tell J. to shut up. I mean making this announcement about how "his band" is heavier than Metallica....WTF??? I'm sorry, I'm sure he's a nice guy and all but damn dude....
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 01, 2003 21:07     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I honestly like the songs. I see everyones point but I think the songs groove and rock and maybe they aren't the most complex written songs they've put out but to me it's still Voivod. I hear Piggy's sound throughout, Away lays down a great groove, and Snake sounds like 'Snake'.

I'll admit I'm easily entertained, especially by a bands I have a long listening history with, and maybe I'm not as critical as everyone here when I listen to the songs...but I'm as psyched for March 4 2003 as I was before I heard the promo...even moreso.

Hen Manilla
VoivodFan
Member # 82

posted January 01, 2003 22:36     Profile for Hen Manilla   Email Hen Manilla     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, groove is a key element to these songs. Personally, I prefer the more disjointed, intricate material they have generated in the past, but as an artist I completely understand the desire to be MINIMAL. Restraint is actually a hard aesthetic to achieve (especially as one's skills progress) and I think it's effective here. Zen Voivod.

As far as people moaning about Jason getting all the attention, it just stands to reason that a former player in one of the biggest band's of all time would be in this position. I don't think he's exploiting it at all. If Away quit Voivod and started drumming for your band that might make news as well. Get over it... People complained that Voivod didn't get any media attention and now that someone draws some in they complain about that as well.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted January 02, 2003 04:19     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Better now, than never...

I have been *off the line* for a few weeks and I got my Chophouse package end of last week (unsigned pic, different as Warcorpse's)... as weel as another one from Canada, lol... the postal services work really strangely these days...

Upon first hearing, I was thinking of a crossover between Nothingface and Outer Limits. Rebel Robot definitely takes the cake and has a remote Nothingface feel. Gasmask Revival is really (too) catchy and would have fit on Outer Limits w/out any problem. I can hear late 80's metal influence on that one. We carry on is in the same vein.

The production is very good IMO, sorry King Kula, but better than that on Angel Rat! The drums sound very cool.

Now, when I compare my expectations and the idea I had made up for a song named "Gasmask Revival" (=very W&P-like), there is a bit of disappointment, not that I totally dislike the songs tho' (like some of you do).

I will wait until march 4th to hear the rest of the songs, in the hope that they are even Voïvoder than those.

And in promo CD, there is the word promo... right?

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 02, 2003 05:33     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
'We Carry On' is by far the best song of the three for me. It could easily be off TOL, but I still wouldn't call it "nothingface on steroids". I do really dig this song though. I think 'Rebel Robot' is the better of the other 2, 'Gasmask..' ain't my cuppa tea...
Overall, it's not as off the wall as I'd hoped, but it's still better than 90% of the shit that most bands are churning out these days. Hopefully there'll be some fully twisted moments of genius on the final product. Maybe.

ruiner
VoivodFan
Member # 79

posted January 02, 2003 07:41     Profile for ruiner   Email ruiner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My opinion. I like the songs, they are OK. To me they sound like AR and TOL style. However, I was hoping for Nothingface or Dimension Hatröss. I guess you could say I'm sorta disappointed, at least with these 3 songs. Maybe the album will be heavier?

Ok. I shut up now.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 02, 2003 08:08     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I prefered the 'hoax' tracks!
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 02, 2003 09:04     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Listened carefully to the songs. The three of them sound straight ahead heavy rock for me (minus Rebel Robot), and I like it. I don't care if they are "going pop", or if the songs sound like fuckin' Foo Fighters, of if they doesn't sound like the "Nothingface on steroids" we were all expecting. I like the songs, especially "We Carry On" (the chorus is STILL stuck in my mind, Corpse!), the best IMHO. But the three are good songs, can't wait to listen to the rest of the album.

Point, at least for me, is: I don't see it as some heresy if they want to get some media/radio/MTV/whatsoever attention, and, most of all, MONEY. They surely deserve the damn thing, more than any other band I can possibly think of. Loads of bands come to mind (Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Metallica when they were still a metal band) when it comes to putting a couple of "catchy" songs on their albums, for the airplay. Why can't Voivod do it? BTW, I'd rather listen to Voivod on the radio than, say, fuckin' Creed!

Maybe the guys think it's time for them to be remembered in metal history for doing more than just a cool Pink Floyd cover/promo video. Fair. I, for sure, won't be bashing them just to sound cool (I'm not a cool guy anyway, so fuck it). That is the most comfortable position, surely, but I'm not afraid to sound lame, I'm a fan of Voivod, just like the rest of you folks, and I will support them, just like everyone else here.

Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted January 02, 2003 09:31     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hypergrrl:
What I want to know is, who died and made 'Jasonic' the Voivod spokesman and
savior (so it seems)!!!
That shit makes me want to PUKE (was never a fan of the guy, so shoot me)....does this bother anyone else besides me!?!?!

YEZZZZZZ!!!!! I feel the same way you do hypergrrl!!! I'm still waiting for my package though, I'm downhere in Chile...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 03, 2003 06:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To me the songs sound like the guys had fun writting them, they didin't consentrate so much on complexity of the song, they just rocked out and had a good time writting. I think they are more spontaneous than their other material...which to me was a cool thing for them to do.
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted January 03, 2003 08:34     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic :
...the three are good songs, can't wait to listen to the rest of the album.

...[clip] Loads of bands come to mind (Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Metallica when they were still a metal band) when it comes to putting a couple of "catchy" songs on their albums, for the airplay. Why can't Voivod do it? BTW, I'd rather listen to Voivod on the radio than, say, fuckin' Creed!

I second that, Slaytanic! I also don't think Voivod are going to put out a record with 13 songs that all sound the same and use the same formula. I bet the guys are itching to release the record to surprise us fans (again ).

I too think that Jasonic is doing a terrific job at the mixing table. The final mix is probably going to sound a lot better even. The demons are so creativeee....

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan