my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » New Songs - First Impressions (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: New Songs - First Impressions
Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted December 23, 2002 19:09     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First, I agree with Gloomp that these tracks were specifically chosen because they are more straightforward than the rest of the album. Metallica fans and radio DJs need the easy to digest stuff before they'll be ready for the epic, heavy tunes.

Second, this sounds like I imagine Angel Rat was supposed to, or how Outer Limits might have if MCA wasn't dropping them.

It's classic Voivod. Snake sounds great. The playing is immaculate. The leads are top notch.

Now I want to hear the heavy, quirky, epic songs that will make these make sense.

It's definitely the pop side of Voivod. But I wouldn't say they've done anything to fit in with what's on the radio today. This stuff could easily be from '92.

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 23, 2002 20:22     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Song names? How long do they run? Pop side of VoiVod? What does this mean? Angel Rat????.....How does the bass sound in the mix?
Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted December 23, 2002 20:42     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Titles:
1 - Gasmask Revival 4:17
2 - Rebel Robot 4:48
3 - We Carry On 4:39
The bass blends well with Piggy's guitar on these tunes and Away is plodding like a beast. Like Nate and I talked about, Snakes vocals never sounded stronger. This is probably a WAY early assumption on my part but imagine the big riff's of Phobos with Angel Rat straight forwardness. Not much of the classic dissonance on the 3 tunes here but it's possible the rest of the album may hold some surprises.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 23, 2002 21:14     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Let me first express my elation to hear one of the greatest rock bands of all time
-back and sounding awesome together.

A quick "first listen" rundown:

1. Gasmask Revival - Very straightforward.
I am fighting the urge to compare it to "Fix My Heart". Solid and accessible.

2. Rebel Robot - This crosses between some "Hatross" elements and a touch of "Jack Luminous".
I am still not getting my fix of full-on Piggy Chords, but this one comes close.

3. We Carry On - Pretty much straight-up as well. Again, solid stuff, not over-the-top Voivod mayhem.

Snake sounds great on these tracks, as stated before.
Jasonic is pounding away, doing his job and doing it well,
although he is certainly not out to dominate the overall sound.
We all know what Away is capable of, but he needs to show it off a bit more!

The spacey, proggish elements are not in the forefront here.
I hope they have not completely abandoned this approach,
as it has always been their strongest point.

All I can say is I need MORE, and March 4th has never seemed further away.

Deepest Thanks for the wonderful gift, guys!

Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted December 24, 2002 03:38     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is there any possible way that these songs will be put up here to download?
2scared2scream
VoivodFan
Member # 77

posted December 24, 2002 06:34     Profile for 2scared2scream   Email 2scared2scream     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I find that all 3 tracks remind me very much of The Outer Limits, but vocally more like Angel Rat. I dig 'em muchly! Big thanks to the 'Vod, Chophouse & Jasonic..THE best christmas present i'm gonna get THIS year!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 24, 2002 10:01     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2scared2scream:
I find that all 3 tracks remind me very much of The Outer Limits, but vocally more like Angel Rat. I dig 'em muchly! Big thanks to the 'Vod, Chophouse & Jasonic..THE best christmas present i'm gonna get THIS year!

Hahaha, I bet the Corpse is breaking into a cold sweat.......

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted December 24, 2002 13:30     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Seconding Imran X's question, someone wanna flow those my way? I like the Angel Rat vocals so I don't think I'll have a problem with that, but I may have to listen with headphones at home, lol!!!
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted December 24, 2002 14:04     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey NIA & Imran X,

I am about to send you guys an email! Enjoy! At 12:30(PST) today I am leaving work and will not be online again until the 31st so have a great holday season everybody!

BTW - These tunes are great!!! I agree much with what was said above, but I absolutely cannot wait until the full length is released! I will be pre-ordering this one for sure!

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted December 24, 2002 14:59     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think one of the most important questions should be: "How do the "friggin'" drums sound?"

Hopefully not like the last 2 discs!!!

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted December 24, 2002 16:48     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My thoughts on the 3 tunes:

Gasmask Revival: this would have fit on AR ot TOL for sure. Cool, catchy riff. Snake's vocals remind be a bit of some of the Union Made stuff. Guitar solo isn't long enough and doesn't really do anything. The double bass at the end is awesome. This has the potential to be the second single.

Rebel Robot: the beginning of the song reminds me of something from Killing Technology. This track slays, nice and heavy and kinda old school 'Vod. Very cool lyrics.

We Carry On: this has to be the first single and video. Catchy as hell. The lyrics are great. You just know how fired up the guys are by listening to this one. Excellent bass playing on this one. This song is a "hit" but in a good way coz it's Voivod and it rocks like hell.

Overall random thoughts:

Snake sounds great, very up front in the mix (maybe a bit too much at times). Away's drums haven't sounded this good since Nothingface. The kick could stand to be a bit louder. Jasonic's bass sounds great. It's big, fat, distorted and mean. Piggy's guitar sounds excellent as always, but the solos in Tracks 1 and 3 are really short and don't really go anywhere.

I love all 3 of 'em! I seriously think this album will be the break Voivod diserves. Sure, the samples aren't Dimension Hatross Part 2, but it's killer. 10/10

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted December 24, 2002 18:19     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
is there anyway to upload the songs somwhere?
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 24, 2002 19:08     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My first impression is that this stuff fuckin' rocks! So much better than I could have hoped for. Roll on March!

So, is the new album going to be called 'Voivod' like it says on the promo?

Do you think it'll have a black cover?

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted December 24, 2002 20:07     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is this metal? Don't hate me for saying it's rock. I don't know that I would call this classic Voivod because I never think of Voivod as writing only in 4/4 time signatures. These songs are pretty straight ahead, I like WCO the best out of three. The effects on Snake's vocals work best there, I think he's too far forward in the mix for the most part. The drums are powerful, wish I could hear the bass more.
St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted December 24, 2002 20:45     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with Noitall.
Not quite as heavy as I had thought it would be. But well have to wait and see how the rest of the songs sound. I still liked it though. Nice to have Snake back. Sounds like Vod to me again!

St.

Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted December 24, 2002 22:34     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
Is this metal? Don't hate me for saying it's rock. I don't know that I would call this classic Voivod because I never think of Voivod as writing only in 4/4 time signatures. These songs are pretty straight ahead, I like WCO the best out of three. The effects on Snake's vocals work best there, I think he's too far forward in the mix for the most part. The drums are powerful, wish I could hear the bass more.

I couldnt agree more, this is definately not "Metal". Very Rock N Rollish. I like We Carry On most too. The drums sound cool especially the snare, very tight and dry.

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted December 25, 2002 03:46     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello...Voivodians! I also got this preview disc in the mail today and could not wait to hear the damn thing!(Thanks Warcorpse/Chophouse).I must admit that the first track didn't cause the complete meltdown that I was hoping for so it took me repeated listens to get into it. I hope this is a preliminary mix and the final result is much heavier. The tracks are catchy, with "Rebel Robot" being my favorite cuz it seems a bit "unhinged"/it has a bit of D'Amour atmospherics as well. I do admit to liking the other songs but I hope the others unravel in that ferocious Voivod"heavier than a meteor" cosmic sound. Honestly, the bass was okay, and I didn't really notice any distorted sounds. I also hope Snake explores his "otherworldy" robotic styles on other tracks but I'm still glad that I got to hear something new and I still can't wait for the album to come out!!!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 25, 2002 12:02     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As talented, unique, and incredible as Piggy and Away have always been it's still Snake's voice that (for me) make Voivod sound like Voivod.

he could sing "Happy Birthday" and it would sound like a Voivod song!!! The man is just so damn distinctive in his vocal delivery.

I loved all 3 songs and can't wait for the other 10 which I'm sure will be different than this sampler...but even if it's not...I'll play it to the death. I've waited many many many years for this and it was worth it. It surprises me how many deth metal fans love Voivod because, except for the first 2 releases, I think the band is so different from the typical death metal sound (mainly because of the singing). I never really catagorized Voivod except to say it's incredible MUSIC.

I'm one mutha fuka

Cthon
Member # 156

posted December 25, 2002 16:51     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i recall Away saying earlier this year that the new album would be more "punk rock" and it seems like he wasnt lying, the riffs are very straightforward, like everyone else here has noted, haha. but they are classic vod riffage, and listen to Snake. wow. "Gasmask Revival" sounds like it would fit right in on the Union Made demo, anyone agree? im kinda hoping for something a little more metal on at least SOME of the other new songs (it would be strange if none were, after how many times Jasonic has used the word "metal" on the chophouse page, haha). and remember Away saying Jello Biafra was going to guest star? the new one is going to be great. all of these songs rock, i like the semi-epicness of "We Carry On" the best so far. Voivod Lives!!!
Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted December 25, 2002 22:15     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Of all time to get a really nasty ear infection and not be able to hear things correctly or clearly enough. The more I hear this Cd the more I like it. Some one correct me if I am wrong but do the guitars sound similar in production to Toms guitars on "Morbid Tales", lots of mid-range. Maybe Im hearing it all wrong.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 26, 2002 06:11     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cthon, I was thinking the same thing about the songs sounding similar to Union Made...which I really enjoy!!!
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted December 26, 2002 13:19     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah i think this is a "Snake album" - more like the Outer Limits

agree about Union Made too, and so far 'Gasmask Revival' is my favorite - hey, there's half a riff from Trust in here! the first riff sounds a bit like 'La Junte' (1980)

Somehow I miss the huge fuckin' reverb and sound effects of Phobos, though...

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted December 26, 2002 18:34     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This sampler CD reminds me of the first time I drank good tequila. After my first couple of shots, I thought, "this is pretty good, but I don't get what the big deal is!" It went down way too easy and was way too subtle for me to appreciate it. Then 7 shots later, I got it! Or should I say, it got me!

That's what this CD is doing right about now. After the first listen, I thought it was nice, but I wanted a little more from them. And now after listening to it several times over and over, I'm getting it. I think Rebel Robot absolutely rocks. Yeah, they are all straight forward rockers, but very cool. Complete with Snakehooks. Understanding that record companies have to make money in order for the band to make money, I understand why certain songs are made singles over ones that I would think are better. For this reason, I think we have reason to believe that the remaining 10 songs will give us a little more of what we all expect......and that's the unexpected.

As for me, my favorite track is Rebel Robot on the sampler. Good, well written, strong song IMO. Can't wait for more.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted December 30, 2002 17:41     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So i ended up downloading the tracks since i'm not home to see if the package made it there.

First impressions?

I liked em better when they were called the Foo Fighters.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted December 30, 2002 20:46     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...and once again M. Skul has proven he's the only guy here who isn't wearing kitty kat pj's on the sly.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan